Jambands.ca

Trey admits to freebasing cocaine

Basher

I didn't believe the thread on PT, but someone posted a scan of the article in Rolling Stone (October 16th issue).

Scan of Article

Some quotes:

RS: What secrets have you learned for survival on the road?

Trey: I'm starting the get it figured out now. There are a few simple rules. Don't spend all your time freebasing cocaine - that's gonna make your tour a lot shorter. It was getting ridiculous there for a while, and it was showing. So on the last tour, I reeled it in. And get at least five hours of sleep every third night.

Trey: I'd been talking shit about the Stones since I saw them on their Steel Wheels tour, but when I opened for them, they were the greatest band on Earth again. I hang onto this hope that I can play with Phish again - if everybody goes back in with a bristling sense of urgency. Phish is an improvisational band, and it couild come back to us, steeped with emotions.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't the solution simply to restrict Phish to touring Canada only? I've heard people say that the quantity and quality of (harder) drugs in Canada pales in comparison to what's easily available in the USA.

And, of course, they'd need a home base that has easy access to the two biggest cities in Canada, Montreal and Toronto; I suggest Ottawa. :)

Let's see...Phish at Barrymore's, with The Slip opening up...

Aloha,

Brad

A few weeks before Shannon Hoon died of a heroin overdose, he was on Much Music's Intimate and Interactive proclaiming the evils of the drug while trying to put on a face of sobriety.

I am a believer that if Trey is going to truly 'get better' he has to stay off the road for an extended period.

I've heard people say that the quantity and quality of (harder) drugs in Canada pales in comparison to what's easily available in the USA.

I'm not sure you're right about that. The pharmaceutical market may be a little or a lot more wide open explaining the UPO's (unidentified pharmaceutical objects) kids ingest on tour. Certainly oxycontin, percs maybe morphine are likely more readily available through god knows what outlets. If there's money to be made there's corruption and I'm sure the pharmy companies know what's getting kicked down to street level.

That said coke seems to be pretty damn prevalent in Canada. This is in part because of how it is traded 2:1 and I've heard even sometimes 1:1 pound for high grade BC pot. That is unfuckingbelievable. Coke's like $80 a gram in Canada and weeds $10. Sure would suck to be an American and whacked to the gills with no chronic to come down on. No wonder.

I really think the spread of pharmies had a lot to do with the degradation of the whole "hippie" scene, particularly in regards to what I witnessed around Phish shows. Of course, they've always been around but it seems it's just in the past seven years or so they've been the buzz-of-choice for thousands of wasted twits.

Combine those with cheap cocaine and you have a lot of tweaked out losers wandering around out there.

Really, what is the damn problem with smoking a spliffy with your pals and drinking some beers?

I really think the spread of pharmies had a lot to do with the degradation of the whole "hippie" scene, particularly in regards to what I witnessed around Phish shows. Of course, they've always been around but it seems it's just in the past seven years or so they've been the buzz-of-choice for thousands of wasted twits.

Combine those with cheap cocaine and you have a lot of tweaked out losers wandering around out there.

Really, what is the damn problem with smoking a spliffy with your pals and drinking some beers?

Well put MarcO. I'm with you on all accounts. Whatever floats some people's boats ... fine ... just don't let it infringe on my good times. The last Phish show I went to (Darien Lake with the killer Suzy Greenberg and Drowned!!) had such a dicey and ugly scene out in the lot. Pharmie kids running around with cell phones and two-way radios looking to hook people up with anything off their menu of dozens of items ... none on them of course, they'd call the order in. Saw people get into fights, break bottles to use as weapons, gangster rap on blasters walking through the lot, negative vibes everywhere.

When I went into the show I had a tweaked out kid run full steam into me and we cracked skulls! He was running from security for doing something stupid and my night almost gets ruined. I can't believe it didn't knock me out. I'm a peaceful man, but holy shit, i came pretty damn close to messing that kid up. Not the vibe i want at a show.

I was so happy that the music transcended the lot bullshit that night. Trey was a man possessed. We were 4th row right in front of him. He was wayyyy out there. Don't know if it was his own consumables that got him there or whether he was really riding a killer musical wave. It was a positive feeling and the night ended well.

Anyone else at that one?

that was the last phish show i attended.

i was still 'dating' theresa, and i foolishly gave up my rainjacket to her....we were on the lawn.

i still remember being so clueless as to why trey was trying to kill us up on the lawn....i tellz ya, i've never wished for a sparkle so bad in my life....

at some point through that drowned i realized he was definitely fucking with us....maybe it was that, or my lips were turning blue....

however, that first set was fantastic.

And when thinking back to that show, which was probably one of my least favorite of the bunch i saw....i'd give just about anything to be there again.

(with a raincoat and some acid)

I am impressed that Trey is willing to face what he does and not try to hide it.

I am a little suprised he's freebasing cocaine at 41! I mean he just does seem like the smokin' coke type, and he's got a daughter. Haven't we learned from the trials of Richard Pryor and Eric Clapton.

I always knew Phish ate a lot of e (personal info), back in the 90's, but the coke thing just seems so alien for a guy like Trey. I guess it goes to show anyone can be fall hard.

I also can't help but think that Trey's drug use in some part played a role in ending Phish. I also don't get why Phish would reunite after breaking up and getting back together and breaking up again. I mean it'a only been 2yrs. The notion of reunino tour, usually happens at least 10yrs on.

I like the fact he admits it was affecting him on tour. Was he perhaps speaking of the 70Volt parade debacle? Would make sense.

Also I agree with the "pharmies" killed the scene thing. Having been on and off Phish tour since '95 I saw the wave of Pahrmies come and with it all kinds of thuggish vibes. I don't get it all.

When everyone was on psychedelics it was all good. Back then the only thuggish vibe was from the occasional nitrous tank fight. But those were here and there and the N2O had always been a part of the scene.

I do also think that parmacuticles are less prevelant in Canada. They are morte prevelant inthe US as narcotics are generally more expensive and harder to get. (with the exception of COKE and Meth, and Meth is a pharmacutical derivative.)

What's so sexy about cocaine? Anyone?! I never got the attraction. All hype and no bang, as far as I'm concerned.

If you wanna get rocked candyflip already!

Edited by Guest