Jambands.ca

Trey admits to freebasing cocaine

Basher

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite part of this discussion is that my Ad Banner across the top says this:

Heroin Treatment

Heroin Help and Information Get the Answers Today

www.heroinhelp.com

Addiction Help

Accredited Treatment Facility Affordable Rehab Free Assessment

www.abttc.com

Addiction Treatment

Holistic addiction treatment that works! Call us 24/7 at 800-559-9503

www.drugrehabcenter.com

hey all,

o.k at risk losing all phishead credibility...who is Mr. Minor?

the roses from island tour , ...even that whole roses set is not only psychedelic but tight psychedelic. not just loose and spacey but leading and explorative.

anyhow the scene changed, and i feel for the worse. although somehow cypress scene was amazing . so maybe if they just played remote areas. like baffin island, p.e.i etc. then only the phans would come.

i am quite certain that trey was being sarcastic

Why are you quite certain that Trey was being sarcastic?

The part about spending "all of your time freebasing cocaine" might be nominally sarcastic, but the reality is that there were serious drug issues within Phish for quite a while. The sentiment behind the statement likely remains the same, even if he was exaggerating the specifics.

A handful of points to make regarding the last few comments.

The Mr. Minor (Miner?) I was referring to is simply a head who to my knowledge has commented fairly regularly on message boards about the band over the years. I understand him to be thought of as knowledgeable. Yes he does take his name from the Mr. Miner from Harry Hood although that entry on Phish.net is flawed.

Mr. Miner, who is thanked thrice in the song (just prior to the gorgeous-to-frenetic explosion) likely refers to a Mr. A. Miner (first name might be Floyd?), a former tenant of the King Street house for whom frequent calls from debt collectors came, constantly interrupting early Phish practices. (Other tales have Mr. Miner as the landlord (according to Sabr Ingalls 10/27/96), the man who owned the nearby plant/billboard (according to "Golgiap420" 9/7/96), the man who owned a convenience across the street that had a Harry Hood sign that he turned off each night so the boys could sleep, the milk delivery person, someone in a Harry Hood advertisement, or a former resident/tenant to whom much (we're talking a lot) of junk mail (including form letters beginning "Thank You, Mr. Minor") continued to come while the band lived there. More specifically, the former tenant (or landlord or whoever) was reportedly Mr. A. Miner, and/or the chords over which the three "Thank You Mr. Minor"'s are sung are minor chords (Bm C#m D#m - B-minor, C-sharp-minor, and D-sharp-minor), and the first chord in the song is D-minor.

No convenience stores have Harry Hood signs they have Hood milk company signs. The combination of the Mr. Miner creditor calls and letters and the predominance of Hood milk advertising whether on the convenience store across the street or not play heavily into Harry Hood. I have a friend who was tripping balls driving on 1-95 in '94 either coming to or from a show, listening to Harry Hood when a Hood milk truck went wooshing by. Whoaaaaaa.

I dig Gkord's comment regarding sarcasm and yes the remark is ripe with sarcasm but it's black humour that works because it is believable and likely not that far off point.

although somehow cypress scene was amazing

I have no doubt Cypress was amazing. That said the first hand accounts I have heard coming out of that show, beyond the fatality are spine curdling. I gather people were selling acid wash, either pure liquid or a wash of trimmings or something in small palmolive travel bottles for like $100. That fucked a lot of people up large. I heard of a woman wandering around catatonic and naked and looking like ill was going to come of her (I guess that's sort of standard issue). I heard of a handful of break ins and sexual assaults but that's also standard issue I guess. The most alarming thing I heard was that some guys had carried in a sofa into the grounds and then a wook crew spotted someone who must have owed them money and beat the fuck out of the guy right in the venue then like stuffed him under the couch. My buddy thought he was just tripping out so went to check out the couch and sure enough buddy was tucked underneath and all fucked up. I definitely got some apocalyptic vibes from the stories I heard.

well, mr Kung, i was there for four days straight, back in my partying days, fucked on every drug under the sun, and i didn't see anything overly shady (at least compared to Darien Lake shady), the whole weekend.

it seemed like most of the shady kidz stayed in their slums, and i met mostly fans....

still the greatest musical experience of my life.

No doubt, no doubt. Didn't mean to take away from that. Just from the American friends of mine, who do happen to know some really dark drugged out Biscuits type fans, I heard these sorts of stories and it wasn't exageration on their part. I guess you can find whatever you want to.