Jambands.ca

Trey admits to freebasing cocaine

Basher

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nothing to dish other than years of observation, trying to sort out fact from fiction on freewheeling message boards. I think I've got enough common sense and experience to be able to do that, although I admit there's no hard fast truths to be found in doing so.

Trey and Brad Sands thick as theives, Kuroda going to rehab and missing the Vegas '04 shows, and let's not assume that McConnell - despite his level personality - was clean as pie either. Apparently he was a fiend as well.

Trey has admitted that things spun out of control backstage around 1998. Harder drugs create dark, insular scenes and I think it is safe to assume Trey was not the only one around Phish to get lost in them.

Kuroda passed out at the lighting desk at a Vida Blue show sometime in early 2004. Sands had to go up and physically rouse him, mid-show, while Page just glared at the booth from the stage.

A week before the Vegas '04 shows it was announced that Kuroda would not be attending the shows due to "personal reasons".

During that run of shows, *someone* in or around Phish OD'd and had to be taken to the hospital.

A month later, Trey's letter announcing the break-up, followed by Page's a week or two later.

It is not hard to figure that drugs played a huge role in the end of Phish. Not the whole story, but a big part of it.

And yeah, what I just shared cannot be verified. Take it or leave it. I reject plenty of hearsay, but not all of it. You just gotta keep tabs on who is dishing the dirt.

The only interview I've read with Trey where he discusses E he says he tried it a couple of times (while at raves) but found it to be "too predictable". He said he preferred mushrooms more. This interview was from the last 5-6 years and may have been from High Times I'll have to go home and find it tonight.

Edited by Guest

I always knew Phish ate a lot of e (personal info), back in the 90's, but the coke thing just seems so alien for a guy like Trey.

Sorry, I was trying to quote this statement with my previous comment on E. The coke thing and Trey have seemed to go hand in hand for sometime now (at least from my personal experience have met someone who claimed he knew Trey's coke dealer).

Perhaps in that interview I have Trey is responding/reacting to the other Phish members use of E.

I will find it for some clarity on this subject.

Edited by Guest

The only interview I've read with Trey where he discusses E he says he tried it a couple of times (while at raves) but found it to be "too predictable". He said he preferred mushrooms more. This interview was from the last 5-6 years and may have been from High Times I'll have to go home and find it tonight.

A couple of times! Whatever! I actually have personal knowledge of this one.

During the European shows a good friend of mine was at the Paradiso show in Holland. He's a freaky looking dude who lives there some of the time and is very connected and speaks dutch. He was appraoched by someone in the "Phish Crew Family" and was asked to score around 200 pills. He did and for his troubles was given backstage passes for that show and a couple others. He said he persoanlly saw everyone backstage chewing e's like sweetarts. He said he say Trey and Fishman eat like 4-5 by setbreak, and probably another 3-4 before the show was done.

A couple of times, yeah sure.

I find it interesting that Trey would come clean about the freebase thing but gloss over the E thing.

Wierd, party on..................psychedelics!

Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure it was a High Times article because it was the first time I had ever read Trey admitting to using ANY drugs. He also goes on to say the whole band used to eat tons of 'shrooms and lock themselves in a rehearsal space for 12 hours at a time to jam and come up with new ideas etc.

I actually have personal knowledge of this one.

Not quite. Your knowledge is second-hand, and, in legal terms, your story would be hearsay, in that you're not telling something that happened to your person, but something that happened to some other person and was told to you. (I'm not calling you or your fiend a liar, and if you meant "personal" as in your have a close personal relationship with someone who hooked them up with E, then I apologize for misunderstanding you.)

Aloha,

Brad

Okay I found the article I was referring to.

In High Times August 2002 Trey talks about dropping acid in the desert in Utah and how that would usually inspire him to write music.

High Times: What about Ecstasy?

Trey: I've done it three times. It's not my thing. It's too predictable.

Not that he has any obligation to spill his guts on his drug use in an interview. But on the other hand he didn't have to do an interview with High Times as those sorta questions were bound to come up.

are we really wondering who OD'd if anyone actually did? Kuroda passes out at a vida blue show, misses some phish shows for rehab....weeks later phish is done...i'd bet it was kuroda that OD'd which struck fear into the hearts of his party buddies and they bailed.

Edited by Guest

we must also remember that Page and his wife were breaking up or divorcing near the end of Phish and I think Trey was pretty close to the same fate... (not sure)

all of these elements comming into play...sure paint a bleak picture of a band at the height of popularity.

1/ Elevated personal Drug Use by the Band

2/ The "Scene" itself were taking more dangerous drugs

3/ Failing Marriages and strained relationships

we must also remember that Page and his wife were breaking up or divorcing near the end of Phish and I think Trey was pretty close to the same fate... (not sure)

all of these elements comming into play...sure paint a bleak picture of a band at the height of popularity.

1/ Elevated personal Drug Use by the Band

2/ The "Scene" itself were taking more dangerous drugs

3/ Failing Marriages and strained relationships

absolutely, and #3 logically follows from #1.

I actually have personal knowledge of this one.

Not quite. Your knowledge is second-hand' date=' and, in legal terms, your story would be hearsay, in that you're not telling something that happened to your person, but something that happened to some other person and was told to you. (I'm not calling you or your fiend a liar, and if you meant "personal" as in your have a close personal relationship with someone who hooked them up with E, then I apologize for misunderstanding you.)

Aloha,

Brad[/quote']

Let me clarify Bradm. I was indeed saying I have a close personal friendship with a person that hooked up the band with e in Amsterdamn, and saw them consume it. But you are also correct my verbage was misleading as I personally was not present.