Jambands.ca

Mega DVD give-away day 5 - *CLOSED*

Esau.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

edger, what's Tobermory like? All I've ever heard about it is that it's the place in Ontario that SCUBA divers go. What else is there? Like, why would people go there? (I plan to dive there some time, so I'm curious what Tobermory is. For instance, is that the name of a town? A park? A lake?)

edger, what's Tobermory like? All I've ever heard about it is that it's the place in Ontario that SCUBA divers go. What else is there? Like, why would people go there? (I plan to dive there some time, so I'm curious what Tobermory is. For instance, is that the name of a town? A park? A lake?)

Hey there.

Tobermory is definitely a place worth checking out. It is a small harbour town at the very tip of the Bruce Peninsula. It is surrounded by Georgian Bay and Lake Huron, and yes it is well-known for its scuba diving opportunities. There is also two national parks in its midst (Bruce Peninsula National Park aka Cypress Lake, and Fathom Five Marine National Park). Tobermory is contained within the Niagara Escarpment Biosphere Reserve, and the Bruce Trail (which runs from Niagara all the way up to Tobermory) runs through the area. The hiking is spectacular along the escarpment which overlooks the water in many places. You can also fish, take in garden excursions, etc. Many artisans in the wider region...

You can take boat tours with glass bottoms to view the sea life and many shipwrecks. Todd's family cottage is located a little south of Tobermory so we are up there throughout the year. Tobermory itself basically shuts right down through the winter, but it you are into winter recreation, there are numerous opportunities for cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, hiking, snowmobiling, etc. But yeah, the summer is when things get hopping up there... big time.

If you want more info on sites, attractions, accomodations, etc. Let me know. I know the area well.

Check it out!

Hook ups are always more than welcome. We could host you at one of our campfire jams, or whatever. Actually I haven't really done any scuba diving yet, but would always be up for the challenge. We've also increasingly been wanting to get more into kyaking around the area. Anyways, keep us in mind when you decide to make some plans!