Jambands.ca

What's your Job?

Deeps

kev, I got one word for you:

www.iisd.org/interns

If you are serious about it, do let me know and I can probably help you swing something. Of course, since the Harper gov't cut their funding to DFAIT, the pot just got a lot smaller, but I've got good connections there. Also, let me know where you're willing to start and what you're willing to do. My Dad's principal at Fleming College in Lindsay, which is the school of environmental resource sciences. They're trying to be the greenest college in Ontario and get some decent work coming their way. I could get your name over there if needed.

Best of luck getting your foot in the door! Fire me your CV and a game plan if you want some help.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KevO/Phorbesie,

VSO is one of 9 agencies that coordinate CIDA International Youth Internship placements and, in our case, may do Canada Corps placements again if they remain funded (which isn't likely but you never know). We also send 20-25 NetCorps interns which used to be organized by Industry Canada but is under review to move to CIDA...it's very likely to keep going. The DFAIT internships abroad were slashed (unless Blane you know something I don't) and IISD may still be doing a few but many other DFAIT partners had to close those opportunities.

Between NetCorps, possibly Canada Corps and IYIP you've got some key oportunities there to volunteer for short-terms in developing countries provided you meet the basic criteria. Each is a bit different and NetCorps is specific to those with IT qualifications and experience. IYIP is very broad and is a good fit but demand is high so you need to be first past the post on that.

One thing to consider is that although these are government-funded programs, the agency that you go with also matters a great deal. Some orgs offer very little training, my org. VSO offers extensive training. CUSO has way more funding than we do and I think their compensation (living allowance, grants) is a bit better than us. We work in Malawi, HRI does not, etc, etc so if while browsing the CIDA page (http://www.acdi-cida.gc.ca/internships) you see something that interests you take a look also at the organization that's being funded to do it. I'm really proud to say that in VSO's case these internships are based on real demand for real professionals, and not on fluffing up a funding bid.

Next year we'll have 10 IYIPs and probably 25 NetCorps, and we'll post them here in April:

http://www.vsocan.org/display.aspx?pid=535&cid=535

There's also longer-term volunteering, offered by CUSO, VSO, WUSC and a few of the others. Those three cover your costs but it is usually a one-year+ commitment. take a look at our site or at the other sites to see what sort of skills are needed (shameless plug for KevO: If you have the 100 hour TEFL course we can use you).

Neither CIDA IYIP nor netCorps have upper age limits this year. Neither is part of the youth employment strategy anymore and even if you find evidence to the contrary i have it on good authority that we are accepting people over 30.

Shorter-term options like what you're talking about, and excluding the internships, will most likely be "pay to play" but you should check us out because we do offer some short-term placements (like 6 months) and will be offering more in the future.

Cool. I should double check the internship I'm applying for. I kinda just assumed the age limit was thirty because it's aimed at "youth," which usually means 18-29. Thanks for the info.

Also, while the future of the Canada Corps programme is uncertain, the axe hasn't fallen yet and there are still grants to be had. Mine was $11 000 for a four month stint so it's definately worth sending in an application. Good luck.

hehehe i may be the only one, but i love getting my teeth cleaned! so i thought you'd like to know :) i esp. love when you scrape off all the plaque. scrape scrape! :)

me too...I really like it....(the harder and scrapier, the better!) but leanne also knows I like sharing toothbrushes, so I know she has conflicted feelings about me :P

MISS YA DARLIN'!!!! You post waaaayyyy too seldom!

Also, I'm currently nearing the end of a twenty-year project to become an overnight sensation.

You and me both.

hey Zero, try best I can to keep up with the local music scene, thru here and stillepost, and i must say your posts on both recently have been bang-on! Always passionate and articulate, seems you've kicked it up a notch recently.

Keep on keeping on.....