Jambands.ca

Help for the homeless

Sunshine

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those in Toronto who care to do so, the Scott Mission @ 502 Spadina (Spadina/College) gratefully accepts donations--all kinds!

From their website:

Please drop off all donations to the Mission Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

For those living in Toronto that would like to request a donation pick-up, please call 416-923-8872 to book a pick-up. Please note that we will try to pick up your items on a day when we have others in the area in order to best utilize our driver's time.

Some of our most urgently needed items include:

Food

- canned and non-perishable foods, especially meat, fish, pasta, vegetables, stew, soup and fruit

- frozen meat (hot dogs, sausages, burgers)

Clothing

- jeans, casual pants

- men's work clothes

- casual clothing of all kinds

- baby clothes

- new socks and underwear

- winter coats

- winter hats, toques, gloves, scarves

Footwear

- shoes, boots, work boots, footwear of all kinds

- waterproof winter boots

Personal hygiene items

- new toothbrushes, deodorant, bars of soap, shampoo

- new combs, new hair brushes

- packets and boxes of tissues

- packages of adhesive bandages

- bath towels, hand towels, washcloths

Sleeping

- sleeping bags, blankets, bed linens

Toys

- children's toys and educational books

Additional Items:

- bottled water

- jam, sugar, salt, pepper, instant coffee, tea

- cookies and candy

- backpacks and bundle buggies

Thanks sunshine.

I think slavetothegroove and I will be wondering around this weekend handing out some clothes. What a marvelous idea. I've got two of the girls at work here bringing me jackets and perhaps some other stuff. I love this because there's no middle man/woman who needs to get paid so the clothes will for sure make it to someone who needs them. The salvation army et al don't do a bad job but some folks just can't afford to buy them or make it to a shelter to get something. We might just bring out a bag of fruit too, who knows.

If you're in Ottawa and feel like a nice little walk sometime this weekend, doing a good deed at the same time, just drop a line on here.

My Mom is pretty heavy knitter: hats, scarves, afghans, etc. A couple of years ago, she started knitting kids' mittens and toques, as there were a lot of needy families moving to her neck of the woods (Scarborough), especially from much warmer climates (e.g., the Caribbean), and often, the families had small children who didn't have (and either couldn't afford or didn't know where to get) winter wear. Seeing as I can barely tie my shoelaces, this isn't something I can do, but if anybody can knit, I'm sure it'd be helpful.

Aloha,

Brad

That's really nice Brad. I'm encouraging myself to start knitting more. I've been telling myself for months now that I'm going to get back into it, but I guess I am sort of a master of procrastination. Well enough of that. I have way more time on my hands now, and am feeling more and more inspired each day to do so. Mittens, scarfs, and hats for the needy here I come!

Anyone have any extra yarn, needles or patterns they don't want? I'm open for donations.

Steph

That's really nice Brad. I'm encouraging myself to start knitting more. I've been telling myself for months now that I'm going to get back into it, but I guess I am sort of a master of procrastination. Well enough of that. I have way more time on my hands now, and am feeling more and more inspired each day to do so. Mittens, scarfs, and hats for the needy here I come!

Anyone have any extra yarn, needles or patterns they don't want? I'm open for donations.

Steph

I think for a beginner, this'd be an ideal project, especially if you stick to smaller/kids' stuff, as you can finish a small pair of mitts quickly, and it's not a big deal if the colours don't match, or if the knitting is "off" or misaligned here and there.

And if you're short on wool, you might try knitting headbands instead of full toques, as they're almost as useful, but use a lot less wool.

Aloha,

Brad

So on my journey today I did find a few homeless people that didn't want anything from me but money. One said he had blankets coming out of his yingyang (but at least he thanked me for the offer), and another woman just said no - even though she was sitting on the cold pavement.

I guess if I start finding it really hard to find people who will except from me I will have to give this stuff to the shelters etc.; however, the man's gratefulness this morning was all I needed.

Have a great day! Thanks to all for being supportive.