Jambands.ca

Help for the homeless

Sunshine

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the boxing ring idea...old school-ultimate style though.

[color:purple]

Well' date=' there'd have to be different categories of fighting (boxing, bare-knuckle fighting, ultimate, wrestling, etc.), with weight classes, and maybe even a separate set of categories for people who want to fight as a pair with their animals by their sides (with vets to check out the animals). There'd be a set of categories for women, a set of categories for men, and even a mixed (man vs. woman) category. There wouldn't be any separation for the gender of the animals because, well, that'd be just silly.

[/color']

Aloha,

Brad

How about crack addict w/scitzophrenia verses a suicidal meth head w/violent dillusions of grandeur...kinda thing?

My boyfriend did the same thing, bought a homeless person a 12" sub, and all the guy did was take it and throw it on the ground and said "I want money"! or something along those lines.

I understand a large percentage of these people are substance abusers, and are mostly looking for their next hit from the bottle. And I'm not pointing at ALL homeless people. Walking down Elgin I get tons of smiles, or "Have a great day mam", or the oh so often, "I like your dreads". It's not always nasty looks, or "Spare change". Sometimes these people just have no where to go so they sit on a street and look for a smile.

I may be overexaggerating a little bit, but this is something I've noticed, and would love to believe.

Smile next time you see someone sitting alone on the side of the street. Or if you have time, try and have a conversation. Seeing that someone cares enough to stop and say hello probably means a lot to someone, who for the most part, has no one to talk to.

I've talked to homeless kids, and often times, the shelters are dangerous, and they get harrassed by other people staying there. It can be a helpfull place to go, or a scary place to go.

Good job Sunshine, I think your idea is great, and I'd be more than happy to donate some warm items too.

Much love and respect

Steph

Edited by Guest

Well' date=' there'd have to be different categories of fighting (boxing, bare-knuckle fighting, ultimate, wrestling, etc.), with weight classes, and maybe even a separate set of categories for people who want to fight as a pair with their animals by their sides (with vets to check out the animals). There'd be a set of categories for women, a set of categories for men, and even a mixed (man vs. woman) category. There wouldn't be any separation for the gender of the animals because, well, that'd be just silly.

[/color']

Aloha,

Brad

How about crack addict w/scitzophrenia verses a suicidal meth head w/violent dillusions of grandeur...kinda thing?

Probably not. First, in order for it to be voluntary, the people volunteering would have to be mentally competent, and severe drug addiction and/or schizophrenia would almost certainly make a person incompetent. Second, it would cause a big increase in the number of categories: we already have {fighting styles} x {weight classes} x {with animals or without} x {men vs. women vs. mixed}; add in {mental disease} x {choice of addicting drug}, and there'd be 'way too many.

Aloha,

Brad

[/color']

Aloha,

Brad

Probably not. First, in order for it to be voluntary, the people volunteering would have to be mentally competent, and severe drug addiction and/or schizophrenia would almost certainly make a person incompetent. Second, it would cause a big increase in the number of categories: we already have {fighting styles} x {weight classes} x {with animals or without} x {men vs. women vs. mixed}; add in {mental disease} x {choice of addicting drug}, and there'd be 'way too many.

Aloha,

Brad

fuck it-I'm out then-

:o

sorry I have offended a few of you, they are just my views....

I think it's time to take a break from the Skank, obviously a few of you now hate me. Especially ollie.

You did not offend me. I do not hate you whatsoever. I'm actually glad you provided a counterpoint to this topic, that's always healthy.

Sorry if my tone was harsh... I'm more pissed off by my co-worker right now than anything else. ;)

me too. contrary viewpoints are what make this place interesting.

sunshine rocks for starting this. i'm a serious sucker for helping homeless folks. i live in a small town with no homeless people (afaik) and when niffermouse and i head in to toronto, we wind up giving away tonnes of change to folks on the street. i find it amazing to watch the well - to - do folks in Toronto step over homeless people while chatting away on their phones about what wine to have with dinner...arrh!

Has anyone here wondered what it would take to become homeless? I thought alot about it when I was unemployed and getting deeper and deeper in debt since my bills far outweighed what I was getting the UI.

I don't think you have to be a crackhead, but if you don't do anything responsible with your money, your career, your skills, you could easily become homeless in only a few years.

I'm sure then you start losing your mind and start doing crack.

Homeless doesn't mean living on the streets. Couchsurfing is considered homeless, isn't it?

I think the problem is that you just don't know who you're dealing with. One guy may just be an alcoholic that's looking to get drunk, another guy maybe dangerous.

Ms Hux was being nice to a homeless guy near Steve's Music one day about a year ago and eventually a cop came by had the guy move on and told her to stay away from him. He's got a violent history.

Then you got the young street kids who again have their own completely differnet stories. Which one's want the money for food? which one's for crack? which one's for booze? which one is going to rob you?

So, which one do you pick to be kind to? Can you say to the next guy on the street "Sorry, I already gave to the guy back there."

You see this all goes to a story of a friend of mind who bought a sub for a homeless man instead of giving him money. What did he do with it? Threw it at her and said "Thanks for nothing"

Hehehe, yeah, that happened to me like slavetothegroove said above. The guy didn't want the food at all and it had nothing to do with not being able to eat, he wanted money for the next score.

I think we're absolutely horrible here in ottawa towards our homeless people. Some folks here actually even had this idea of building a train downtown costing a billion dollars. I bet if they took 1 million of that the city could easily put up all the homeless people and also try to get the addicted ones some help but hey, that's not the world we live in. Fuck those that are less fortunate than me right? I don't believe that but from my observations, quite a few people do so I won't dignify the statement with sarcastic purple.

I'm in the same quandry, bouche, and I think it stems from (us) not being in day-to-day contact with the homeless and their experiences. I think the best way for the homeful to help the homeless is to provide resources (money, food, etc.) to reputable agencies (e.g., the United Way, the Ottawa Food Bank, the Salvation Army) that are in contact with them, and can back up the money/food/clothing help with other resources, such as access to programs to help those homeless who want to get off the streets.

Aloha,

Brad

For me it is not a matter of choosing who to give to. I walk the same route everyday...if I see one of them on my way, and i have an extra blanket or pair of socks packed in my backpack I will offer it to them. If they refuse...I will carry on.

Let them get angry, let them throw it back at me, at least I know I am trying to brighten their day. More will be thankful then not thankful.

I have soooooooooooo much to be thankful for, and they truly have nothing.

Maybe they are the biggest crack head on the face of the earth.....it does not matter to me at this point (I have friends addicted to drugs, I am still their friend). I really just want them to be thankful for one minute of their day. Hopefully in their head they will say I am thankful that girl came along today.

I'm in the same quandry, bouche, and I think it stems from (us) not being in day-to-day contact with the homeless and their experiences. I think the best way for the homeful to help the homeless is to provide resources (money, food, etc.) to reputable agencies (e.g., the United Way, the Ottawa Food Bank, the Salvation Army) that are in contact with them, and can back up the money/food/clothing help with other resources, such as access to programs to help those homeless who want to get off the streets.

Aloha,

Brad

Thanks Brad!