Jambands.ca

Help for the homeless

Sunshine

Hey fellow skanks,

I was walking to work the other day and had tears in my eyes as I watched some of the homeless people huddled on the cold pavement. One person didn't even have socks on and was wearing a little old torn pair of dress shoes. A couple of them have dogs, and the dog's looked so helpless as they shivered next to their owner.

If you have any old blankets that you do not use, maybe a pair of socks, maybe an old hat and pair of mittens that you are going to throw away.... I would be more then happy to hand these items out on my walk to work.

If you have stuff and don't live in an area where you pass by the homeless, let me know and I will either pick it up from you, or you could drop it off at my house.

I can't even imagine what these people go through on a day to day basis.

PM me if you are interested.

Thanks for listening,

Lisa

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're awesome, Sunshine.

In a couple of weeks, I'm about to finally unpack everything I own that has been transported from Whistler. We got rid of most unnecessary stuff before we left, but I do believe we have a duffle bag of extra winterwear, that we kept for people who would visit us in Whistler in winter.

If we still have that, I will somehow get as much winter clothing to you as I can, in mid-December or so.

I'm going to sound like a total asshole right now...

Why can't crackheads get jobs?

Oh yeah, because they are crackies...

There are plenty of places to go, programs offered, job assistance available to street people. Unfortunately they tend not to use them.

Sure it's cold, sure they have no money...but many are out there just to get thier next hit. It's sad.

Here's some links.

http://www.ottawa.ca/city_services/housing/12_2_en.shtml

http://www.endhomelessnessottawa.ca/

http://www.ottawamission.com/en/home.html

Anyways, giving out items is definately better than handing out cash.

sorry for being a downer.

no...I didn't vote for O'Brien...

if you did...good luck with any of these above mentioned services remaining....

During a candidates debate on September 13th, O'Brien stated that one solution to the problem of homeless youth sleeping under a bridge was to replace them with a tourist kiosk. He also said homelessness could be solved through a "businesslike look."

Why can't crackheads get jobs?

Oh yeah, because they are crackies...

That's a very good point. I wonder if the reason that homeless mentally-ill people can't get jobs is that they are also "crackies", or maybe there is some other reason they can't work. Either way, we say screw 'em; eh Dinghy?

[color:purple]Here's an idea: combine the "Help for the homless" idea with the "Feed the animals" idea, and feed the animals to the homeless. We could also use the animals' coats to help keep the homeless warm in the winter. (I didn't say it was a good idea...)

Aloha,

Brad

Don't worry Dinghy, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

And that's why I would rather give them a material item, then money. At least I know the stuff is keeping them warm, rather then wondering if they are just going to spend the money on cigarettes or crack.

Or better yet their poor dogs that can't fend for themselve and are freezing cold. I really just want to wrap them up in a cozy blanket and give them some love.

Anyway, I understand some of you won't agree with this, but that's ok.

well obviously the programs are not far reaching enough to solve the problem of homelessness or there would'nt be one.

Homelessness stems from a number of combined risk factors. Substance abuse/mental illness/lack of education/marginalization etc etc.

There are a number of very dedicated people and service providers working hard but without proper funding they cannot implement programs that can effectivly reach everyone.

Edited by Guest

During a candidates debate on September 13th, O'Brien stated that one solution to the problem of homeless youth sleeping under a bridge was to replace them with a tourist kiosk. He also said homelessness could be solved through a "businesslike look."

[color:purple]Instead of a tourist kiosk, how about we replace it with a boxing/fighting ring? We could have the homeless fight it out, put a betting system in place (with the city taking a cut), and sell stuff (t-shirts, posters, etc.). It'd be on a purely voluntary basis (maybe with those homeless who get arrested/convicted given the chance to go a few rounds instead of being incarcerated), and medical care (probably without drug tests, though) would be provided to the combatants athletes before and after each match. With city official supervision, the homeless could also be used to promote and administer/staff (e.g., selling stuff) the events.

How's that for a "businesslike look", Mr. Mayor?

Aloha,

Brad

well obviously the programs are not far reaching enough to solve the problem of homelessness or there would'nt be one.

Homelessness stems from a number of combined risk factors. Substance abuse/mental illness/lack of education/marginalization etc etc.

There are a number of very dedicated people and service providers working hard but without proper funding they cannot implement programs that can effectivly reach everyone.

exactly.

Oh I agree CP 100%...and I don't think that funding is going to increase under the leadership of O'Brien.

Substance Abuse, IMO is a horrible excuse.

Education, another bad excuse.

Losing your job, that's a tough one...there's always McDicks...

Horrible Parenting I believe is an acceptable excuse for homelessness. These poor kids are left on thier own, probably due to the fact there parents were the crackheads.

Mental illness is a problem. I agree with anybody on that...If the only homeless people were the mentally ill, we'd have enough resources to handle that and these people could get the care that they need.

How many people live under the MacKenzie King bridge, when the Mission Shelter is two blocks away? They obviously know it's there. They spend thier days panhandling in front of the beer store on Rideau.

Why don't these people use the warmer months of the year to take care of these things...Get into a shelter, clean-up, enter a program, find a job, and get on with thier lives, rather than sipping on a bottle of booze in a brown paper bag.

You see this all goes to a story of a friend of mind who bought a sub for a homeless man instead of giving him money. What did he do with it? Threw it at her and said "Thanks for nothing"

Now thanks to 52% of the old folks that voted for O'Brien because they didn't want a gay man as mayor, this problem isn't going to change. The younger generation should have gone out there and voted for change. But alas, I don't think we did.

BTW Sunshine...I'm totally willing to give up a blanket for your mission. Giant Tiger sells those fleece throws for cheap too.

I like the boxing ring idea...old school-ultimate style though.

[color:purple]

Well, there'd have to be different categories of fighting (boxing, bare-knuckle fighting, ultimate, wrestling, etc.), with weight classes, and maybe even a separate set of categories for people who want to fight as a pair with their animals by their sides (with vets to check out the animals). There'd be a set of categories for women, a set of categories for men, and even a mixed (man vs. woman) category. There wouldn't be any separation for the gender of the animals because, well, that'd be just silly.

Aloha,

Brad

Dinghy' date=' I don't think the homeless have the internet in order to follow your links.[/quote']

What's wrong with the Public Library?

You need a library card to use the computers, and I think that requires either a home or work address in Ottawa (and proof of the address, like a phone or hydro bill).

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

Mental illness is a problem. I agree with anybody on that...If the only homeless people were the mentally ill, we'd have enough resources to handle that and these people could get the care that they need.

There already aren't enough resources for the mentally ill that aren't homeless so I seriously doubt this assertion.

How many people live under the MacKenzie King bridge, when the Mission Shelter is two blocks away?

Maybe the Mission is unsafe? Have you spent a night there?

You see this all goes to a story of a friend of mind who bought a sub for a homeless man instead of giving him money. What did he do with it? Threw it at her and said "Thanks for nothing"

You're making a lot of assumptions about this person based on a transaction that probably only lasted a few minutes. Maybe he hasn't eaten solid food in weeks and knows he would have regurgitated it. I don't think the average person passing by a homeless person is in a position to know what that specific person needs. I don't generally hand out money to the homeless but when I do the money is their's to use as they like and I have no problem if that means it goes to booze, cigarettes or other drugs.