Jambands.ca

Bored at work, looking for a laugh

slavetothegroove

I don't know how funny it is, but I just spent the last hour organizing my collection of concert posters. I piled them up by year (2002 - 2006), and was glad I had my old day-timers nearby, as a lot of them had only day-of-week / month / day printed on them. I even found a flyer for a show (JSB @ The Bayou, 2002-01-15) that I hadn't written down anywhere.

The good news is that I have a lot of posters/flyers. The bad news is that a lot of them aren't in great shape (torn, frayed, taped on the edges, folded). Does anybody in Ottawa work at or know an art gallery that needs an exhibition? It's going to require some serious wall space to display all of them...even the set of nero posters alone would be tough to put up somewhere...

Aloha,

Brad

Folks, I'm going a little crazy by myself here at work and need some amusement. Anybody wanna help me out.

don,t know how funny this is but it is true

when we were in school the guys would take their thingy out and give it a shake, they would do it some fast and we had a great laugh now we were only in grade 3 n 4 so we didn,t have a clue what it was,it was a game to see who could be the fastest,guess you could call that exposing today

Brad. You should take a pic of each of them, then paste 1 or 2/page and post them here. Then they last forever.

I was thinking of that, and realized what I really need/want to do is get a scanner (that'll be big enough to handle most of them; 8.5" x 17" at least, maybe 11" x 17") and scan them all. (Does anybody have any recommendations as to scanners?)

The problem with using a camera is that I'd really need something like a sheet of glass to put the posters under, to help flatten out the rolled/folded ones, and would also need a good camera with the right kind of tripod/mount. I have a digital camera, but it's small & cheezy, and probably wouldn't work well.

Ultimately, what I'd like to do is create some kind of compendium of them, indexed by {year/month/day} / {venue} / {band}, with links to any recordings that exist of that show. (I think the Live Music Archive now supports including pictures with uploaded shows, and you can even have one picture tagged as the graphic to be displayed on the show's web page. I may try that in the near future.)

Aloha,

Brad

I checked into the scanners that were available from FutureShop, and found that the basic ones (that cost less than, say, a few hundred dollars) all have a maximum scan size of 8.5" x 11". For the bigger posters that I have, this either means I wouldn't be able to scan them, or would have to scan them in sections, and somehow "merge" the scans into a bigger image. Does anybody know of any (ideally free) applications that can do this? (I figure the sections will have some overlap with each other, rather than having clean cuts between them.)

Aloha,

Brad

I wrote this while bored at work...it has a story behind it...but it's funny nonetheless.

If my arms were made of bacon

would they sizzle?

you could put them on sandwiches

and people would eat them.

they'd be brown

and sometimes crispy

or floppy.

boy, would I smell nice

and people would probably always

want to hang around me

....until they got sick of the smell of bacon.

they'd be best friends with eggs.

I'd eat em!!!!