Jambands.ca

QOTD: Christmas Consumerism...

lara

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A guitar at $800+ seems fine to me. You cant get a high quality cheap guitar. Thats art, and also often a one-time or at least rare-ish buy.

what about those families who can't afford to be clothed or fed buying $800 guitars?

just because someone gives you a gift doesn't mean you're tied to it for life either, you can sell it, re-gift it, donate it... plenty of options.

kitkat, is there a disconnect here, between the giver of the gift and the recipient? When I go in search of a gift for a particular person, my main thought is to find something that will improve that person's life, even if it's just to put a smile on her/his face for a few seconds. If I knew a person to be socially conscious, and to prefer modest (or modestly priced, non-high-fashion) items of clothing, an expensive pair of shoes is one of the last things I'd consider giving. (In other words, the gift needs to be appropriate for the recipient, with an appropriate price range varying from recipient to recipient and gift to gift.)

Aloha,

Brad

Well there has to be an area of reasonableness.

Obviously we need shoes' date=' clothes etc. Obviously we need enjoyment, celebration.

So I figure there has to be a line, what's ok and what's not ok. $100-$150 seems to be acceptable in most people's minds for a good pair of shoes that you're going to use. But the leap to $250, or over $500 for two pairs of shoes is excessive. And seriously, what's so superior in a $300 pair of shoes as opposed to a $100 pair of shoes?

A guitar at $800+ seems fine to me. You cant get a high quality cheap guitar. Thats art, and also often a one-time or at least rare-ish buy.

[/quote']

I think it would be a bit harder to explain to a "starving child" that you spent $800+ on a guitar because it's "art" as opposed to $250 for a pair of good quality shoes that are practical and that you will wear for a long time?

So my "area of reasonableness" is rediculous? Isn't it better than nothing though?

I think it would be a bit harder to explain to a "starving child" that you spent $800+ on a guitar because it's "art" as opposed to $250 for a pair of good quality shoes that are practical and that you will wear for a long time?

With an $800 guitar, you could sing and play your explanation to the child, which could be a beautiful, artistic thing. With shoes, you can't...unless they were tap shoes...

Aloha,

Brad

kitkat, is there a disconnect here, between the giver of the gift and the recipient? When I go in search of a gift for a particular person, my main thought is to find something that will improve that person's life, even if it's just to put a smile on her/his face for a few seconds. If I knew a person to be socially conscious, and to prefer modest (or modestly priced, non-high-fashion) items of clothing, an expensive pair of shoes is one of the last things I'd consider giving. (In other words, the gift needs to be appropriate for the recipient, with an appropriate price range varying from recipient to recipient and gift to gift.)

Aloha,

Brad

So the story goes...

Person A took Person B shopping to "a new pair of shoes" and ended up buying 2 pairs of shoes, total cost $540. Person B only saw the total when it was rung up.

Someone mentioned intentions...

Person A's motivation was that Person B looked good when they were at one of Person A's events. Person A knows that Person B struggles to make ends meet on a everyday basis.

i think it's fine to spend however much you want on anything. it's just money. the amount i spend on shoes or jeans or concerts does NOT affect/take away from the amount i donate to charity. well...except that the more i earn, the more i'll spend on stuff, but also the more i'll donate. it works out.

people give bono shit for spending 1000 on sunglasses, but i have no problem with that. it's part of his image, and he does more than enough to compensate.

i don't see any ethical problem with spending money on quality stuff.

Edited by Guest

i think it's fine to spend however much you want on anything. it's just money. the amount i spend on shoes or jeans or concerts does NOT affect/take away from the amount i donate to charity. well...except that the more i earn, the more i'll spend on stuff, but also the more i'll donate. it works out.

people give bono shit for spending 1000 on sunglasses, but i have no problem with that. it's part of his image, and he does more than enough to compensate.

i don't see any ethical problem with spending money on quality stuff.

It sounds like you're saying that its ok if you give/compensate in other ways.

kinda...

this is just personally but i have no problem if someone spends 250 on shoes...even several pairs. but if you've got 50 or 100 pairs of shoes at that price, it seems excessive to me. i know you are saying it's hard to draw a line there, i guess (ie. how many pairs is OK then?) so i'll just say that if it seems reasonable to you than it's OK.

anyway i wouldn't feel bad if someone gave me such a gift. i think one nice thing about gifts is that people will buy you something nice that you wouldn't necessarily buy for yourself...which makes it special!

I would have a hard time enjoying those shoes, knowing that they cost more than the annual income of many families in South Africa.

kitkat, i totally get where you are coming from...jennifer and i have a really hard time shopping for anything anymore because of all the various ethical dimensions of voting with your $$. getting groceries is an ordeal, christmas doubly so. i've realized that not everyone has this approach, which is why products made by companies that behave abhorrently sell well.

as for the shoes, if you truly can't abide them, then sell them on craigslist and donate the money to heifer :)

If they were mine... ;)

I guess I have a different perspective because I grew up in South Africa.

The last thing I want to is get Velvet thinking I'm judging him for his Armani suit, or Bouche for his Prada hand-bag.

Thanks Timouse. I appreciate someone getting me here.

Edited by Guest