Jambands.ca

Van Halen Reuniting WIth Roth For Tour

TimmyB

I have always wanted to see Diamond Dave in Van Halen, even if it will not be the original lineup with Michael Anthony not in the band anymore.

Tim

From www.billboard.com

Exclusive: Van Halen Reuniting With Roth For Tour

January 24, 2007, 4:20 PM ET

Ray Waddell, Nashville

Sources tell Billboard.com a contract could be signed as soon as today for Live Nation to produce a 40-date amphitheatre tour by Van Halen this summer, with original frontman David Lee Roth back in the fold for the first time in more than 20 years.

As previously reported, guitarist Eddie Van Halen's 15-year-old son Wolfgang has stepped in for original bassist Michael Anthony in the new incarnation of the group, which also features drummer Alex Van Halen.

Van Halen last toured in 2004 with vocalist Sammy Hagar, grossing nearly $40 million, according to Billboard Boxscore. Hagar refused to collaborate further with Eddie and Alex Van Halen after the tour's completion ("I don't get along with Eddie anymore, and that's all there is to it," he told Billboard.com in August 2005), although he has consistently played live with Anthony in recent years. The warring factions may wind up meeting in public in March when Van Halen is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

"I see it absolutely as an inevitability," Roth told Billboard.com last May of a potential reunion with his ex-bandmates. "To me, it's not rocket surgery. It's very simple to put together. And as far as hurt feelings and water under the dam, like what's-her-name says to what's-her-name at the end of the movie 'Chicago' -- 'So what? It's showbiz!' So I definitely see it happening."

Hagar recently told Billboard.com he was concerned Eddie Van Halen was asking too much of his son to have him join the band and promptly perform in front of thousands of people every night.

"That's a lot of pressure for Wolfie. Just 'cause he's Eddie's son doesn't mean he can go out and play in arenas and perform and entertain an audience for two hours," he said. "I would love to see Eddie and Alex get behind Wolfie, with a kid of his age singing, and produce the record for him and help him launch a career. I'd rather see it go that way than come out and say 'Wolfie's the bass player in Van Halen and maybe singing, too.' Van Halen's got way too much history to have that put on him."

If Roth actually does tour with them I am going to this.

His bravado and macho was always a big paret of the act.

I can't believe Michael Anthony would not do this? Why? It's not like he's super busy, does he have crazy offers otherwise?

whatever I guess Eddie's son will do. I mean all Anthony ever did was hammer on root notes while hammer on Jack Daniels anyway.

if this happens I'm going.

I stopped listening after Roth left. I don't know if I could take the crowd on top of all that, too.

uhhuh. The early stuff really did offer some decent chunks of meat in that 80's metal stew. Today's crowd scene might look like a bit like a dead show, if only in terms of the age of patrons ... with more black and studs ... less colour and beads ;) I would consider the price of a ticket.

I mean all Anthony ever did was hammer on root notes while hammer on Jack Daniels anyway.

agreed...

The pair of you are fools. Mike Anthony is no Tony Levin, but he's an original member with an excellent low-end bass sound and his backing vocal harmonies are dominant even more than they are complimentary (in a good way). Thinking you can replace key original members effectively rarely amounts to a better product both commercially and artistically - see The Allmans, Santana (arguable), Van Hagar, The Rolling Stones, The Who and even AC/DC etc... One of the few bands that got better with replacement members was The Yardbirds.

[color:purple]I can't wait to see this show.

[color:purple]It won't be the same without Michael Anthony, he's awesome.

Camping on the first 2 string of your instrument and playing eighth notes is not awesome.

Low end bass sound?

He's playing through 1000 amps and a house system. Not much to it other than knowing where the power outlet is IMO.

:crazy:

I mean all Anthony ever did was hammer on root notes while hammer on Jack Daniels anyway.

agreed...

The pair of you are fools. Mike Anthony is no Tony Levin' date=' but he's an original member with an excellent low-end bass sound and his backing vocal harmonies are dominant even more than they are complimentary (in a good way). Thinking you can replace key original members effectively rarely amounts to a better product both commercially and artistically - see The Allmans, Santana (arguable), Van Hagar, The Rolling Stones, The Who and even AC/DC etc... One of the few bands that got better with replacement members was The Yardbirds. [/quote']

Hold on there TEX! Me and the Jaydawg didn't say all of that. If I could see Van Halen w/ Anthony then I'd be all for it. His time is good and he does have the harmony vocal thing down. What I was saying is that if anyone has to be replaced, he is the easiest to replace.

I would personally like to see him in the fold running around the stage with his Jack Daniels bass all sweaty and in work out pants.

I guess what you hearing is that I'm a little pissed that finally Diamond Dave and Eddie agree and now Michael Anthony doesn't want to do it....

all original line up would be best..

mikejackdaniels.jpg

Edited by Guest