Jambands.ca

Official Grammy's Thread

bouche

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the highlight of the evening was the look on justin timberlakes's face when john mayer won for best pop vocal album. poor justin looked shocked and bitter.

yeah, he was gritiing his teeth, kinda funny. Don't worry JT, you've got a long career ahead of ya.

Mayer's album is excellent.

What was with all the "lifetime achievement" awards given to bands/people sitting in the audience? The Grateful Dead got one' date=' with Micky and Bill representing.[/quote']

Maybe I am reading this wrong but do you REALLY think they were given awards because they happened to be sitting in the audience?

"Hey, look? Wasnt that the drummer for the Grateful Dead? Lets get him up here and give them a Lifetime Acheivement award!"

[color:purple]Yes. I really think that's what happened.

I was just pointing out how lame it is to offer someone a lifetime award when all your prepared to do is give them a token nod between the real awards. It was an incredibly hollow gesture, even for an incredibly hollow awards show.

I was just pointing out how lame it is to offer someone a lifetime award when all your prepared to do is give them a token nod between the real awards. It was an incredibly hollow gesture, even for an incredibly hollow awards show.

Well, maybe you should have said that the first time.

I was just pointing out how lame it is to offer someone a lifetime award when all your prepared to do is give them a token nod between the real awards. It was an incredibly hollow gesture' date=' even for an incredibly hollow awards show.[/quote']

Well, maybe you should have said that the first time.

Happy Monday to you too.

Dixie Chicks ROCKED! What a performance.

I enjoyed the "jazzy stylings" of the Police . What else should they have played? At least that arrangement of Roxanne allowed them to stretch it out a bit and change the pace a little. I'm glad they didn't do some retrospective medley or something.

I even enjoyed Beyonce's performance.

Shakira's hips didn't lie ... she looked like she was having a lot of fun up there. Don't know how she did it without a "wardrobe malfunction".

Tony Bennett's plug for Target was tacky. I can't believe he did that. Burt Baccarach's request to work with Seal was awkward and out of place.

What the FUCK is up with Smokey Robinson's face!!!! Talk about too many facelifts. He's permanently surprised. Then he sings the lyrics "Take a good look at my face ..." I was laughing hysterically.

When will the Black Eyed Peas go away?

That Justin Timberlake hand-held camera was ridiculous. Who came up with that? I wasn't overly impressed with his performance either. He sat at the piano to try and convince the people of his musical talent. If he had at least teased Dick In A Box, it would have been more entertaining. And hey, since when did Justin start getting called "JT"???? Messes with my head, because the JT that I always associate with those initials is James Taylor.

John Mayer and those other two, who performed all together were boring. Was/is Mayer trying to rip off SRV? The guy playing piano was lame. Corinne Bailey Rae was intriguing. Something unique about her voice.

Gnarles Barkley was fun, but went on for wayy too long.

Having to listen to James Blunt is painful. Stupid song with pathetic lyrics. Get over it dude, she doesn't care about you!

WTF was up with Mary J Blige and her laundry list of thank yous.

I wasn't impressed at all with that tribute to the Eagles. That band drives me nuts (the one doing the covers that is). That lead singer's vocal style cheeses up ever song he sings. They are the ones who also did Tom Cochrane's Life is a Highway for the Cars movie. You'll see 'em again at the Oscars I'm sure :P

I'm so glad that I PVR awards shows. I couldn't imagine watching that tripe from start to finish with all the breaks, etc.

Give the attendees cocktails ... would provide for more entertainment.

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

Edited by Guest

Tony Bennett's plug for Target was tacky. I can't believe he did that.

sure, but that's old school, like him and it's forgivable.

the disturbing thing was that the grammy awards show itself was presented by target. kinda makes ya wonder how impartial the awards vote/selection actually is, eh? :confused:

That Justin Timberlake.... sat at the piano to try and convince the people of his musical talent.

this makes no sense to me. If he'd done a big dance number, people would rag on him for being all show and no depth. Dude sits down at a piano and sings a song he helped write, and now he's accused of being manipulative???

Isn't the very act of performing in front of an audience, in any manner, an attempt to project your talents?

That Justin Timberlake.... sat at the piano to try and convince the people of his musical talent.

this makes no sense to me. If he'd done a big dance number' date=' people would rag on him for being all show and no depth. Dude sits down at a piano and sings a song he helped write, and now he's accused of being manipulative???

Isn't the very act of performing in front of an audience, in any manner, an attempt to project your talents?

[/quote']

MarcO, I agree with you. If he had only done a dance number people WOULD have ragged on him. What I was trying to say, is that when Justin is on stage behind a piano and not prancing around, his musical talents don't carry him or capture as much interest. Therefore, imho, his talent is much more centred on his stage performance and choreography than sheer musicianship. He's very "Vegas". Must be part of the boy-band-syndrome

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

Edited by Guest

My favourite moment was when JT was performing and he was holding that pinhole camera, WORST CAMERA EVER. He looked hilarious!!

Imagine being in the audience and having to watch the performer just walk around singing to a camera in his face, that he was holding. Bad. Stupid.

My favourite moment was when JT was performing and he was holding that pinhole camera' date=' WORST CAMERA EVER. He looked hilarious!![/quote']

Imagine being in the audience and having to watch the performer just walk around singing to a camera in his face, that he was holding. Bad. Stupid.

I'm sure every person in the audience and their grandmothers realized that his performance was not for them and the other 16,000 people in that building, it was for the 20 million-plus people at home watching it.

i totally have a girlcrush on natalie maines!!

dixie chicks freaking rule. i have really been getting into them over the last while. i even sheepishly found myself browsing the country selection for dixie chicks albums yesterday (and i left with "home" -- that whole album rules!)that shut up & sing! movie is pretty interesting too.

i'm so happy they won so many awards on sunday!

dixie chicks really make me overuse exclamation marks! even more than usual!!!