Jambands.ca

Recipe From A Small Planet?

Basher

They rock - one of the top 3 bands from the west no doubt.

I agree - he's possibly the best jam-keyboardist in Canada - especially on the clav. Also, the bass player (Pablo) looks like the Fonz.

I just hope they've put the country songs to rest. (They're from Calgary... [Roll Eyes] )

checked out Recipe From a Small Planet at the Rivoli Saturday night. It's amazing how much a band seems to evolve after not seeing them for 2 years. They've taken on a more jazzy dub vibe and are singing some perfect four-part harmonies. The majority of their material was brand new to me and my favourites had been rearranged as to keep every note entirely entertaining. So funky and so thoughtful, it was a bloody shame that there were about 30 people there...if the turnout continues as such, it will likely be more than 2 years until they return again.

One of the best things about Recipe is that they have mastered the whole jamband aesthetic but have stumbled into it on their own. They are inspired by the bands that inspire the bands that I consider the toppermost of the jam rather than being fed the groove from seeing 35 Phish shows or being raised in a Grateful Dead parking lot. They have the songs, they have the chops, and they have that ROCK attitude that keeps things full of the right intentions and purely selfish motivations that keeps their art pure.

I really can't wait to see them as much as possible over the next few weeks - starting Wednesday in Brantford. Everyone really should do them same - you really won't regret it.

Sounds like MK got into a little "Shop Talk" from rfasp.

Off topic, has anyone heard about these guys that call themselves themasses, I guess they play in Van-city but they don't make it out of the city limits to often... [Roll Eyes] whats up with that [Wink]

peaceinjam.jamesd.

Don't miss Recipe From A Small Planet and I'd say don't miss themasses but...

Wow! What a great show. Thanks for the recommendations everyone, because this show was defintely worth staying up late on a Monday. Their harmonies are just perfect. I loved their original tunes, and they just plain nailed Neil Young's Old Man.

Check 'em out when they come to your town!

The last time I saw rfasp I muttered to Jay, "Jeebus, I think these guys are the best jamband in Canada." Then a few weeks later I saw themasses and thought the same thing.

I think I'd go see themasses over just about any Canadian band, they're just so damn far away.

Can't make it on Friday unfortunately, I'll be easterly ho.

Archived