Jambands.ca

"The Secret" holy crap... it works!

Thanks faoy, I'm happy you fleshed it out a little.

I don't believe for a split second that thinking "positively" about a primo parking space realigns the variables of the universe in such a way that the spot becomes yours. What if I also am thinking "positively" about getting the same parking spot? One of us (or both) are going to reach a negative conclusion. Bye bye power of positive thinking! Sorry but I think it's all total nonsense.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks faoy, I'm happy you fleshed it out a little.

I don't believe for a split second that thinking "positively" about a primo parking space realigns the variables of the universe in such a way that the spot becomes yours. What if I also am thinking "positively" about getting the same parking spot? One of us (or both) are going to reach a negative conclusion. Bye bye power of positive thinking! Sorry but I think it's all total nonsense.

well judging by your attitude The force wouldn't be as strong in you.

Less bingo competition for me. ;):)

I sincerely hope you win at bingo, howler, but if you do, it will be because of the random picking of numbers by an external entity, it will have nothing to do with whether you felt today is the day or not.

Clearly, no-one buys a lottery ticket hoping they'll lose. And if they did buy a ticket and negatively say "this is a losing ticket, I can't win", it doesn't make a difference to the outcome. That person could still be a big winner, positive or negative thought regardless.

There is a basis of fact with this 'program' or 'secret'. It states how we are all an interconnected aspect of the Universe at large. We are not separate entities of our surroundings. It's all connected. We're all connected. After realizing this fact, we then realize that our minds, ideas, thoughts, etc., are also a part of the Universe.

So, when we ask the Universe for something, it's really no different than an affirmation to the self as well. We just can't expect everything to be given to us, we do have to work for it. We have to pay attention to the details in life in order to find the opportunities that await us.

If we stop seeing ourselves as separate entities and instead view ourselves as unique expressions of the universe that are unavoidably connected with everything we see and experience in both thought, touch, and dream, we are much closer to understanding the 'secret' itself.

I don't believe for a split second that thinking "positively" about a primo parking space realigns the variables of the universe

but what if it did?

What if I also am thinking "positively" about getting the same parking spot? One of us (or both) are going to reach a negative conclusion.

but what if on that particular day, you are in Peterborough with no access to a computer or phone and desperately need to talk to someone from this board and you and boogieknight show up at the same parking spot. Would you be happy even if he got the spot?

Winning a lottery or a bingo is not an end in itself, it is a means to an end. If an individual achieved the same end and never won either would they be happy?

The lottery is a particular event that just may not be necessary for everyone wishing for it. Maybe you want to be rich, maybe life has presented billions, or lots, of opportunities to you and you have ignored them all because of certain trivial life moments that have essentially 'blocked' you from noticing.

There doesn't really seem to be anything wrong, per say, with thinking positively about any event or situation...the least it could do for you is create a better internal environment.

the movie and the way its presented and the claims that they make are very hokey and cheeseball....

and i don't believe that thinking about a parking space will get you one...or getting a millioin dollars in the mail.

i just think that conciously making an attempt to not let the negative bog you down will do nothing but improve your existance...

what blew my mind however, is everything I thought about actually came true that one time...

I might as well go into a bit of detail.

I was having a really crappy day at school, one o those days you don't feel like getting out of bed, and you keep that attitude the whole day. came in late to my first lecture, spent the day alone...etc.

anyway, while i was waiting for my 4:30 class, this girl came and sat in the hallway a little away from me, and I haven't been that captivated by a girl (especially at stupid ass YORK) in a while... she was just freakin perfect looking in every way, and she gave off an incredible presence..

i was in no mood to be social, so i didn't even bother thinking about approaching her.

but, not even thinking about "the secret" ... i just started thinking about how great it would be to approach her, pick her up, go have coffee, and find out she had the same intrests as me.

these thoughts became more and more vivid....for two reasons:

1) i was sitting alone with my headphones on with nothing but HOT CHIP and my thoughts to keep me company

2) i was pretty baked.

after about 20 minutes of just thinking positively...my mood totally changed...but i was still not in a very social mood... i did however, feel much more apt in my pick up skills.

so i sit with the same people in the same spot in lecture, and this chick has never , ever sat infront of me...infact, this is the fist time i even noticed her in class....so she sits beside me.

at this point, i'm so game....but now i start thinking about "the secret" (the movie i watched just a few days ago)

at one point, i accidently drop my pen down to her level, and she picks it up, hand its to me with a huge smile.

i accidently dropped my pen 2 more times..i didn't do it on purpose at all...although i'm going to start doin that.

anyway...

she left the lecture 20 minute early, and i was like "FUCK! oppurtunity lost"

but, i conciously blocked that idea out of my head, and started thinking of running into her, and having coffee, and us having an incredible connection....i had to pay attention to my lecture...so these "thoughts" sorta became "feelings" (somthing the secret tells you to do)

anyway...

after class....we totally bump into each other, i spark up a conversation, and without either of us saying anything about coffee....we float to the second cup...and have coffee....and it turns out, she has a very similar taste in music and is all about the bonnaroo.

its probably a strange coincidence that everything I imagined ended up happening....but had i not used the thought excersies, i would have never taken advantage of a good situation...and would have probably never spoken a word to that girl....

its not as romantic as how me and booche first met... (we both wanted to puke in the same portopotti at IT) but its close.

i'm not passing this off as some mystical universal thing.... i understand its all coincidence...but what "the secret" did do...is it put me in the proper mind set to introduce myself to this girl...

had i just continued feeling shitty... i would just felt shitty...and then i would have felt shittier for not talking to that girl....

People that are interested in different subjects take notice to those particular events. A musician is likely to notice a free guitar lesson by someone highly regarded... as a anthropology student would notice a lecture by Jane Goodall. The point is that we all have to notice our interests and pay homage to them so we develop into what we are naturally good at. It has nothing to do with religion and a lot to do with paying attention to your surroundings.

when people start to see random coincidences or univestigated truths as proof of the power of positive thinking, then we are surely doomed to start fooling ourselves into silly things like religion..... doh!

:) . Reminds me of that cartoon I saw a couple of weeks back - two guys lying on their backs on the roof of a house, and one of them says "I wonder why God doesn't answer my prayers," to which the other replies, "Maybe he's got a spam filter."

You pray for a sunny day, and the farmers in the area are screwed out of the rain their crops need. If everybody gets what they want, it comes at everybody else's expense - unless, maybe, everybody wishes everyone else the good.

As for the positive thinking thing, we do communicate, physically, in ways we usually have little awareness of (ok, "vibes"). Put yourself in a good mood, maybe people will respond well.

There's just enough mystery there to be interesting.

had i just continued feeling shitty... i would just felt shitty...and then i would have felt shittier for not talking to that girl....

Well, dont fulfill any self-fulfilling prophecies in the future.

;)

None the less Dima. Good for you to work up the confidence to approach some hot broad. Does she got a huge rack?

I'll I can say is what I've experienced.

I started using little things that I figured would be random and that I would have very little control over.

After a while I started to see a pattern. Here's an examples that I've experienced recently.

I have a small glass blowing business, I make mostly jewelery and sell stuff at art shows.

I've been working on my website for a long time. My biggest obstacle has been getting good pictures. Glass is very tricky to photograph.

Anyways, I tried a few different things, looked into getting a special scanner that might work, had a friend who took photography in college try but nothing really worked out.

I started to think about how I need to find a good local photographer, who won't cost me a lot. a couple of weeks ago a women comes to my booth and ask me to make her a custom piece. Next week when she come back she brings her husband. He used to be a staff photographer for the Ontario Art Gallery. I tell him my delima, he agrees to do some work for me and wanted to know if I would be willing to trade for the work. BINGO.

Maybe it is all a coincidence, but the more I do it the more it happens.

I have about a dozen stories like this one.