Jambands.ca

The New Northern Heads

kung

You've made being a head in Canada into an embarassment and a joke. My Head is Dead but it's not that heady. It's well past time to deliver Canada from the doldroms of insufficient jamband drugged out wankitude.

Why are we a laughingstock and a joke to the rest of the music industry? Because we're a laughingstock and a joke.

Well the joke is kind of on us, that despite the recent wave of awesome music including Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, DMSThink, Joel Plaskett, Matt Mays, Wintersleep, Kevin Breit etc etc etc.....

We will probably always be remembered as the country that brought Bryan Adams, Celine Dion and Avril Lavigne to the world. Ack we'll never get over it!

Sean

I want any intellectual property belonging to one Luke Bowden, aka zero removed from this website as soon as possible. Then delete the zero account. Any IP I need I will cull from archive.org. I will keep the kung address in the time being.

do not post anything that is defamatory about any members of jambands.ca.

do not argue with members in the open forums. Use the private messaging system or email if you have something 'unkind' to say to someone.

Slightly ironic for a massive cluster fuck.

Fight Test

I thought I was smart

I thought I was right

I thought it better not to fight

I thought there was a virtue, in always being cool

So it came time to fight

I thought "I'll just step aside"

And that the time will prove you wrong

And that you would be a fool

I don't know where the sunbeams end

And the starlight begins

It's all a mystery

Oh. To fight is to defend

If it's not now then tell me when

Would be the time

That you would stand up and be a man

For to lose I could accept

But to surrender I just wept

And regretted this moment

oh that

I was the fool

I don't know where the sunbeams end

And the starlight begins

It's all a mystery

And I don't know how a man decides

What's right for his own life

It's all a mystery

'Cause I'm a man, not a boy

And there are things you can't avoid

You have to face them

When you're not prepared to face them

If I could I would

But you're with him, now it'd do no good

I should've fought him

But instead I let him

I let him take it

[color:brown]Devil's Advocate

Hey gang I've now gotten two nasty emails from some kids I guess. No matter how many times we explain it Abe and Luke are two different people, Abe no post on Sanctuary, Abe no give shit if people have nothing else better to do, Abe no write anything about BNB EVER on any board or site. Only after a flat out personal letter that was indeed rude and nasty from the band.

I've only met them once or twice and I figure because they've known Luke for a while they were to cowardly to dis him, but my response is always nastier which is why I don't write any reviews of shows or anything about anyone personally except Osama.

Canadian Fans not the Bands are the reason I can't wait to go back to the USA (but the dollar is worthless here) and out of insecure Canada and get on with life. I never went to shows to make friends, I went with them. I don't want white dreads, I go for the music and always have. To me NorthernHeads is about entertaining not information, not just there to make you feel warm and fuzzy giving off the positive vibes just the opposite. The point is we're taking a chance. We hit and we miss, and I love controversy. And its fun.

NOW you can reply to what I write. And please do.

Content is King, its a slow week

-ABE (not Luke) fuck you guys are dim for teenagers

ps. I think its awesome that we could piss people off so much that they take so much time to argue over the net, fuck you guys.

Letters to the Devil from sad people and angry people:

Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 16:24:51 -0400 From: David Barrett To: devil@northernheads.com

CC: Andre Bouchard , Mike Bouchard , fresco_lopez@hotmail.com, harpua@phishsanctuary.com

Well Kung,

Here's the deal as I see it about your perspicacious rantings on the phish sanctuary. You've taken space on your front page to slag off BNB over an unjust assessment of your "opinion" of the band. Wrong ! When you get slagged off on Phishsanctuary it's because you are rude, misguided and incorrect in the things you write. Nobody cares if you like the band or not, if you thought they didn't play well or not, it's the way in which you convey your message in an unthought-out manner that sparks the ire of those who see your mistakes and see the shaky ground upon which your soapbox stands. Yell and scream about anything you like, just do it professionally. Or at least think through what you write before you post it.

Dave Barrett

per?spi?ca?cious (p?kshs) adj.

Having or showing penetrating mental discernment; clear-sighted.

Synonyms: shrewd

[From Latin perspicx, perspicc-, from perspicere, to look through. See perspective.]

perspi?cacious?ly adv.

perspi?cacious?ness n.

shrewd (shrd) adj.

shrewd?er, shrewd?est

Characterized by keen awareness, sharp intelligence, and often a sense of the practical. Disposed to artful and cunning practices; tricky. Sharp; penetrating: a shrewd wind.

[Middle English shrewed, wicked, from shrew, rascal. See shrew.]

shrewdly adv.

Synonyms: shrewd, sagacious, astute, perspicacious

These adjectives mean having or showing keen awareness, sound judgment, and often resourcefulness, especially in practical matters.

Shrewd suggests a sharp intelligence, hardheadness, and often an intuitive grasp of practical considerations: ?He was too shrewd to go along with them upon a road which could lead only to their overthrow? (J.A. Froude).

Sagacious connotes prudence, discernment, and farsightedness: ?He was observant and thoughtful, and given to asking sagacious questions? (John Galt).

Astute suggests shrewdness, especially with regard to one's own interests: An astute tenant always reads the small print in a lease.

Perspicacious implies penetration and clear-sightedness: She is much too perspicacious to be taken in by such a spurious argument.

Our one letter of support

Subject: objectivity

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 12:14:44 -0400 From: "Mike Knoll"

To: luke@northernheads.com

[color:purple]

Luke,

I just want to let you know that I respect the courage that you have shown in posting an anti opinion rather than a pro opinion. There is a clear lack of objectivity amongst 'the scene' and your BNB debate makes that clear. If people like you didn't have the balls to stir the pot a little the bar would never be raised and the imposition of mediocrity would be suffice. It seems like some people's opinions are crafted with self-serving intentions (i.e. BNB won't like me if I admit they are shit right now and don't kiss their asses) rather than the evident truth (i.e. they are not at their peak). Don't take shit from Phish Sanctuary either - I guarantee they've gotten more hits since you started this debate. There is one thing that makes me uncomfortable though - you are naming names. Don't let it get personal, it looks bad on you.

You and your site are the Kings of Controversy and I'll keep checking in and grinning,

Mike

I guess I forgot that Abe and I were always WAY better at this than the bouchards and the entire nation of 'heads' put together.

LB

UPDATE--- Sunday January 20, 2002UPDATE--- Sunday January 20, 2002

The First Annual

Northern Headies

Best Album (vocal)

Heavy Meadows (self-titled)

recorded and mixed by Steve Outhit and Heavy Meadows

mastered by Steve Blacker and Heavy Meadows

Best Album (instrumental)

Nero - Is It Morning?

Recorded and Mixed by

David Lauzon

mastered by Jason Jaknunas

Best Show

Oysterhead

Massey Hall 11/07/01

Best Festival

Evolve Festival

Antigonish, NS O8/24,25,26/01

Most Conscious Band

The Slip

Boston, MA

Best Cover

Eminence Front (The Who)

performed by Skydog Gypsy

Runner up:

Torn and Frayed (Rolling Stones)

performed by Burt Neilson Band

Best New Band

Dead Tie:

Grand Theft Bus

and

Motep's Groove

I Started A Joke (The Wallflowers)

I started a joke. Which started the whole world crying.

But I didn't see that the joke was on me.

Oh, no, I started to cry. Which started the whole world laughing.

Oh, if I'd only seen that the joke was on me.

I looked at the skies. Running my hands over my eyes.

And I fell out of bed. Hurting my heads from things that I said.

Till I finally died. Which started the whole world living.

And I fell out of bed. Hurting my head from things that I said.

Oh, no, that the joke was on me. Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

I Started A Joke (The Wallflowers)

I started a joke. Which started the whole world crying.

But I didn't see that the joke was on me.

Oh, no, I started to cry. Which started the whole world laughing.

And I fell out of bed. Hurting my heads from things that I said.

And I fell out of bed. Hurting my head from things that I said.

Oh, no, that the joke was on me. Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

Pretty sure this is a Bee Gees tune.

Wow, the dated 'fuck off' picture. That's intense committment to telling someone to fuck off over the internet.

That Oysterhead was a killer show. I was way into that record for a long time. Band of Gypsies' "Changes" for the encore, and I had just freshly been on a long Band of Gypsies kick too. Massey Hall, the softseatedness of it all, felt like the Filmore East.

Wow, the dated 'fuck off' picture. That's intense committment to telling someone to fuck off over the internet.

That Oysterhead was a killer show. I was way into that record for a long time. Band of Gypsies' "Changes" for the encore, and I had just freshly been on a long Band of Gypsies kick too. Massey Hall, the softseatedness of it all, felt like the Filmore East.

I loved the Massey Hall Oysterhead show too. I love The Band Of Gypsies and Oysterhead's version of Changes was beautifully powerful and surprisingly controlled.

Empty threats come from empty souls. I honestly doubt legal action has any merit especially after explicit agreement on terms of use after years of use.

The only wankitude around here is from Luke Bowden. Kung, Zero...whatever alias he lurks under.

Everyone: If you posted it it's up to you to delete your public posts it but the site still has legal rights over the data you enter. Perhaps you think it's your intellectual property but the issues surrounding that are based on fair use and profit.

Building a community takes more than empty verbiage and schmoozing. Print has some pull but without the foundation to support a story, it's all just hot air and opinion.

Organizing parties, working with promoters and scenesters to make a community, and all the artists that make the product we grow to love is what scenebuilding is. Praising the hip and denouncing mediocrity does nothing to bring mediority out of its hole. The more inclusive a scene is the stronger it grows.

After all, the subject matter is fundamentally more important than the delivery.

Just cause I see you walking it doesn't mean you're going anywhere in particular, kids.