Jambands.ca

Tulip Festival News

AD

haha i didn't know it had been announced, i figured people would, you know, give a shit :) .

gonna be a strange may without getting drunk in the park every night with great bands. do you know why this happened? was it the dude that bailed out the festival?

the thing is, since they cancelled the bands, it will be the best weather in years. }:(

This was announced months ago. The festival has been losing money for years, so they finally pulled the plug.

the festival is still happening, it will be an international pavilion style of festival with food and culture from the rest of the world, and this Celebridee thing, which i have no idea about...

is this what you mean by pulling the plug, or did i miss the announcement about the bands being cancelled?

Official Site

NO, I meant that the concert series was expensive, and attendance has been steadily declining, so they cancelled the concert portion of the festival. The festival has a lot less funding this year and they are concentrating on the flower part of it. Sucks for us. I heard an interview with the former music director on the CBC about two months ago.

Note that phorbesie wasn't around for the Bill Frisell year, and that she has a sometimes sad neglect of Canadian hair bands.

That said, I'm glad they haven't canceled completely, and hopefully they'll forget about why they stopped having live music and bring that element of the festival back.

Kingston always had a cultural celebration every year called the Folklore Festival. I always loved it. HOwever, it was spread over all of kingston so you couldn't visit everything you wanted to.

It introduced me to greek food, indian food, and british drunks. I was in a Beatles cover band that played the British Pavilion every year. I think I just started on beer then.

Unfortunately, the Tulip Festival suffered some awful weather in recent years, which kept a lot of people away from the concerts.

I remember in 2002 Bruce Cockburn was scheduled to play, but the show was cancelled due to a blizzard. It was like May 18th or something like that.

You're right AD - the weather this year will probably be awesome, now that they've cancelled the concerts!

Yeah mike, i remember "The Beatless", but the announcer got a bit confused and called you "the Beatless....Group"

i think your bass player had the worst voice of anyone i've ever heard on stage

those were some awesome fish'n'chips though

but yes, asd to hear about the Tulip festival, hopefully there will still be a beer pavilion down the street from us though

Edited by Guest
too much blood in my alcohol stream