Jambands.ca

Opinions on "As The Poets Affirm"?

bradm

On Saturday, May 19, Acres is having a release party for their new CD at Zaphod Beeblebrox in Ottawa, and As The Poets Affirm is also on the bill. (I'm figuring Acres will be opening, but I'm not sure. Strangely, while Acres and Zaphod both list the gig, ATPA doesn't.)

I dig Acres' music, but while I've heard of ATPA, I've never seen/heard them. Their MySpace page lists the adjectives "Indie / Experimental / Rock"; I think math-rock and post-rock might also apply to these guys. I'll dig into what samples are available on their website and MySpace page, but has anybody seen them live? As far as I can tell, this could be a good show if I'm in town that weekend, but part of me wants to go to Hamilton for The Slip, so I'm interested in people's opinions.

Aloha,

Brad

thumbs down from me - i posted this pseudo-review in the oink forum (edited for language and unncessary mean-ness)

they all think they're ottawa's answer to tortoise, conceited musicians save for the drummer and cellist.

they don't know how to tune, they have very little dynamics. weak contrived derivitive mostly-instrumental music.

i've seen them a few times in different points of their existence and while they do keep getting better, they still have no perceptible identity as a band, and their songs seem pretty unfocused to me.

i would spend my money elsewhere if i were you. or go and see for yourself, they might be up your alley, who knows. listen to their samples.

jakis likes them

i should also add that it is great you are inquiring about local bands. there is such little discussion of local bands on this site - ottawa (like every city most likely) has some amazing top-quality acts that people would love if given the exposure

I've seen them once, and only caught about fifteen minutes of their set. I was impressed enough on such short exposure to buy a cd, and I would definitely go see them again.

Bottom line is they are different, musical, and quirky. I wouldn't qualify them as math-rock, but contemporary for sure.

Thanks, guys. I just finished listening to the MP3 tracks from their website, and didn't really hate what I heard. Some of it, like the two or three tunes with lyrics/vocals, fell a little flat for me, but the others were at least OK. If it were just them on the bill, I probably wouldn't go, but with Acres, this could be a good bet for a Saturday of a long weekend (assuming nothing better comes up).

Aloha,

Brad

If you're asking for opinions, why is there a 'thumbs down' attached to the thread? Is your mind made up already or are you trying to sway people from the get-go?

Read the previous posts: I attached a "?" icon to my original post, AD attached a "thumbs down" to his, and the rest haven't had any icon attached to them. When the topic is displayed in the main list of topics, the most recently attached icon (AD's thumbs-down, in this case) is displayed.

Aloha,

Brad

The poets are opening for Acres.

Thanks, Pablo. I had figured Poets (who have been around longer, and have about three records out) to be the headliner, as they're more established, but seeing Acres headline shows how they're moving up in the world.

Aloha,

Brad

This is funny;

I have three of Poets albums and I enjoy all of them. Seeing them live though they always seem to fall short of expectations. For me it is rare to enjoy a band's studio stuff more than the live stuff.

I can see where AD gets the holier than thou vibe from them.

That said, I notice they are on a June bill at Barrymores with Destroyer and Rock Plaza Central.

Read the previous posts: I attached a "?" icon to my original post, AD attached a "thumbs down" to his, and the rest haven't had any icon attached to them. When the topic is displayed in the main list of topics, the most recently attached icon (AD's thumbs-down, in this case) is displayed.

i have since attached a smiley face to get rid of the negative connotations on the main page, but the thumbs-down is still there for all to see.

i've heard good things about them and have been wanting to see them, 'cept they always play at zaphod's so i don't...

i've seen them everywhere but zaphods it seems... irene's, barrymore's, babylon... they play fairly frequently it seems

Why dont you do Zaphods phorbsie?

I like the poets enough to go early to the Acres show and hopefully catch them. I wouldn't though go to a Poets headliner...

The poets are really great at what they do, their sound is powerful and succinct. Its just not quite my style - yet, both times I've seen them I was impressed.