Jambands.ca

I hate being taken advantage of.

MarcO

I imagine this isn't breaking news for the bigger city centres but here in Hamilton, I had never experienced this:

Last weekend Laurie and I took our lunch at Bar On Locke, a decent, cozy little bistro bar. Yeah it's a couple of bucks more than other places serving similar food, but what the hell, food is usually consistent and good. Of course, I had a couple of pints but Laurie wasn't in the mood for either alcohol or anything with caffiene, and they didn't offer much in the way of herbal teas, so she ordered a glass of water.

$2.

$2, for a glass of "tap water" (as it said on the bill). What a fucking joke.

It's insane to try to justify this. It's not like she didn't order a meal. It's not like the bar was so packed they needed to "rent" the seat space. It's a cash-grab, and when I asked the waitress about it (who was mortified with embarrassment), she said the owner justifies it by saying it covers the costs of the glasses, and the heat, and the running of the place, and besides, Toronto bars do it all the time.

Well, this isn't Queen West in T.O. It's a Hamilton pub that just lost two customers because they just couldn't help but get greedy. Fuck 'em.

I've never been a bar or restaurant in Toronto in my 16 years of living here that charged for a glass of water.

I actually heard/thought there was a rule that bars/restaurants had to provide free (glasses of, as opposed to bottles of) water upon request.

Aloha,

Brad

Thanks for your support at this difficult time.

I have already called the VIEW magazine "rant line" about this. Fuck them.

The waitress suggested I call and talk to the owner. Nah, I'm petty and shallow. I hope VIEW runs my rant so everyone knows. Wtf do I want to talk to the owner about? He owes me $2 as far I'm concerned.

I need a carton of milk anyway.

I searched for a contact email address for this place so I could send them a link to this thread and let them know how fast they will loose customers. I couldn't find one.

This is piss poor customer service and just comes off as so cheap. Where else are they cutting corners? If they're so desparate for cash, you'd think they'd encourage repeat business by treating customers well. Ridiculous.

Well, if you ever wonder why once-popular establishments "go under", bad management is a big reason along with cost-cutting and/or cost-saving measures. "Under new management" will never die because some places just don't hire the right staff with the right sense of what's right and inevitably profitable and fair.

That's inane. But I bet you it's open to change if a few people rant about it to the right forum.

If you don't want to talk directly to him write a letter and pump up his ego about the food and mention the situation. A few people do that and he'll change his mind.

Of course if you now have a bad taste in your mouth (punny no?) of the whole place than skip it.

that's just dumb, mike

then the server loses income due to an idiotic owner

This can't turn into a debate about the whole tip theory thing. But here you go.

The rules of 15 percent or whatever apply differently to different people in different situations. Do you tip less if you got shitty service? Why does it take so long for your bill to arrive and why do I have to ask for more water or napkins?

The point is that you can adjust your bill to suit your needs based on how you're charged and also how you're served. It isn't a patrons responsibility to pay more than their contracted for within the limitations of their means and the pricing on a menu.

If a place strategically charges a certain price for tap water then maybe they won't if the staff points out that tips are not rolling through because of the pricing scheme.

So you'd tip $2.00 less, then we'd start walking away and I'd turn around and throw a toonie on the table to make it up to the waiter/waitress.

I'd then pick up the phone and rip the owner a new one. I'd never take an owner-issue up with the front-line staff. That would be like someone screaming at my front desk staff for an issue they have nothing to do with. It's just not right.

So you'd tip $2.00 less, then we'd start walking away and I'd turn around and throw a toonie on the table to make it up to the waiter/waitress.

I'd then pick up the phone and rip the owner a new one. I'd never take an owner-issue up with the front-line staff. That would be like someone screaming at my front desk staff for an issue they have nothing to do with. It's just not right.

do I need to bring up Ging Sing?

OH MAN!!! I was so embarassed about that though. It wasn't done on purpose!

Ging Sing has one of those Interac terminals that allows you to add either a dollar mount or a percentage amount fr tip. I meant to leave $5.00 but I left 5% instead. I didn't realize until I looked at the receipt in the car. I had no money on me or I would have gone back.

Not the same there Bouchey boy.

TIPS= To Insure Proper Service

Proper service starts with the server communicating to the owner/manager of the restaurant, the complaints and suggestions of the customers.

In the end if you dont tip a server because the house policies are as they are in this case; that server will most likely go right to the owner after you have left the restaurant. It is in their own best interest to look after and better the business that provides them with income. Im not saying you need to be chewing a server out. Just fill them in on why you havnt tipped and when they find out that it is due to a $2 charge for a glass of tapwater, Im sure the owner will no doubt hear all about it. Service staff can make or break a restaurant more than customers in some situations.

Locke St. in Hammer isnt all that far from King William. I say, "hire" a couple of crackheads, give them each $2, load them into the back of the pickup and let them drink all the water they want.

There's a place in Guelph called Manhattan's Jazz Bistro that is infamous for unexpectedly tacking on a $3.50 cover charge per patron any time they have music. No signs. No mention. It just appears. I can understand that, as slimey as it is, but $2 for tap water? Wow.

Edit to add: A joke commonly told in Ellicottville, NY:

Whats the difference between a Canadian and a canoe?

A canoe tips.

The most frequent retort:

In Canada we tip for good service.

Edited by Guest