Jambands.ca

DONT BUY GAS TUESDAY

M.O.B.E

I'm all for higher gas prices as well. HOWEVER, the extra profits should not being going to the oil companies, but rather through taxes that would be levied. Those taxes (kept in check by public watchdogs) would then be used to fund alternative energy sources, encourage citizens to opt for those alternatives, etc.

indeed... not against high costs for fuel if it somehow came back into the common good... jacked prices so uber-rich corporations can get platinum-richer-than-rich is difficult to stomach... kudos to anyone who tries to make a difference

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always been against comparing the cost of gas to the cost of other liquids. It's another apples and oranges thing. Our cars don't run on water and coffee, so the comparison is invalid.

Sure, bottled water costs a lot, but water also comes out of my tap at a cost of 77.5 cents per cubic meter - that's 1000 litres. Why not use that in gas/liquid comparison?

Regardless, this is an excellent debate we're having here. Thanks everyone for your input!

I've always been against comparing the cost of gas to the cost of other liquids.

Sure, bottled water costs a lot, but water also comes out of my tap at a cost of 77.5 cents per cubic meter - that's 1000 litres. Why not use that in gas/liquid comparison?

Yeah, I've heard that about your reputation. Always not comparing liquid prices. But like it or not, a comparisson of all things is made by the market, and the common denomonator is money. The real question is, is it fair market value for the product?... and with oil, my answer is that the oil industry employ's unfair, risky, and nonsustainable methods to secure our supply of oil, and the market value is artificially low.

Now things like Subsidies help people in a Political region to obtain goods as a discount... as far as oil is concerned... it's being subsidized by a war.

"Democracy" in Iraq... Ha! Secure Oil Fields and cheap gas was more like it. But atleast gas is only $1.10 this weekend. War for resources is a vile subsidy. It contradicts some basic principles found in most nations constitutions.

I know we are not in the Iraq war as a Nation of Canada, but when one of the "have's" does this in order to keep cheap supply of gas running, we all 'benefit' from those lower prices in as much as 'we' can afford to fly anywhere for like what $300 bucks... sit in rush hour traffic burning $20 of gas a day and still make enough money to go to a $14.00 movie, $200 concert... and buying crazy oil based products that were manufatured on the other side of the globe and brought to your house off of a boat, train, and your car. (I know this isn't everyone... but there is certainly enough to create the phenomenon of 'rush hour traffic' is hundrends of cities around the world)

Sure it will change things if the gas prices rise... but if the market becomes aware and volunteers for higher gas prices (and no war would be nice too)...

a) we will adapt

B) we will have oil to use for a longer time, and use it more sustainably and efficently

b)B) we will adapt in a peaceful voluteering way vs. a violent, desperate way (don't tell the people in Iraq though)

Otherwise... there will be a cruch, and even we in our shelterd and safe and luxurious North American lifestyle, will go through radical and swift changes.

The key is things will change one way or the other...

personally, I predict a median between full on benevolant volunteerism, and devestating black friday, followed by dust bowlesqe style depression.

I use the bottled water argument to suggest how, brain washed and status quo the market has become. We'll buy anything they have to sell... just make it fast, and we'll buy it. That's basically what Nestle does... puts tap water in a bottle, and drives it all over Ontario and sells it. Some 'genuis' is a billionaire becuase he made water into a gas insentisve process... and we are all to scared to drink water out of the tap because it doesn't have a label on it. Just speaks to the mindless of the masses, and how the market rewards oil intenive processes becuse the price of the commodity is kept artificially low.

If just one person listened and understood why they were doing it, then yes it worked.

But the problem is that it appears (based on the tone of the boycott as well as the posts I've see of people promoting it) that most participants were doing it because they wanted to be able to drive further for cheaper. That's not really the right reason, is it?

I tend to raise an eyebrow at Suzuki on that issue

getting every trace of the heavy metals out of the water from the harbour here seems unlikely to me... have had water from a spring that made my body sing but water from certain sources located near heavy industry I just have trouble picturing as better than bottled

(though admittedly would say half of bottled is likely just from another tap)