Jambands.ca

Mike Mexico (aka Vick) in a legal dogfight

Jaimoe

I don't know if I've ever heard an athlete come across as stupid as Portis did, and that's saying a lot.

Portis - Michael Vick should be able to do whatever he wants in his free time.

Interviewer - But Mr. Portis, dog-fighting is illegal...

• 1 month later...

According to Yahoo's Jason Cole, Michael Vick will be suspended by the NFL following his indictment on charges related to dog fighting.

Sources say Roger Goodell has monitored Vick's situation since the two met face-to-face in April and Vick told the commissioner that he rarely visited his property in Surry County, Virginia. Despite Cole's report, ESPN's John Clayton believes that Vick's status as a first-time offender could mean the legal process has to run its course first. They could wait for Vick to be arrested.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

RICHMOND, Va. -- Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick accepted a plea deal Monday and lengthy prison sentence to avoid additional federal charges in a dogfighting case that has driven his NFL career to a halt.

"After consulting with his family over the weekend, Michael Vick has asked that I announce today that he has reached an agreement with federal prosecutors regarding charges pending against him," Vick attorney Billy Martin said in a statement.

"Mr. Vick has agreed to enter a plea of guilty to those charges and to accept full responsibility for his actions and the mistakes he has made. Michael wishes to apologize again to everyone who has been hurt by this matter.

All three of Vick's co-defendants have reached plea deals in the case. Vick had been facing a Nov. 26 trial date.

I just read this at CNN:

Vick's attorneys have been negotiating with federal prosecutors over terms of the deal, which must be approved by the judge. While prosecutors can recommend a sentence, the decision ultimately rests with the judge.

The plea would help Vick avoid additional federal charges.

Federal prosecutors had offered a deal recommending an 18- to 36-month prison sentence. Vick's attorneys were trying to reduce that to less than a year, two sources told CNN earlier on Monday.

From Vicks court appearance earlier this morning:

U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson, who asked: "Are you entering the plea of guilty to a conspiracy charge because you are in fact guilty?"

Vick replied, "Yes, sir."

Hudson emphasized he is not bound by sentencing guidelines and can impose the maximum sentence of up to five years in prison.

"You're taking your chances here. You'll have to live with whatever decision I make," Hudson.

It’s a cultural thing, I think. Most brothers didn’t know that, you know. I used to see dogs fighting in the neighborhood all the time. I didn’t know that was Fed time. So, Mike probably just didn’t read his handbook on what not to do as a black star. I know that cruelty to animals is bad, but sometimes people shoot people and kill people and don’t get time. I think in this situation, he really didn’t know the extent of it, so I always give him the benefit of the doubt.

didn't read the handbook? "dogs fighting in the neighbourhood" is a bit different that what Vick was doing. Jamie Foxx is an idiot. what a truly moronic statement. asshole