Jambands.ca

ryan adams - last night

RUSTLE

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are all great pics -- it was sooooo dark in there. I liked the ambiance though... I liked the stage set-up and backlighting.

I thought the Toronto show was faaaantastic! Man oh man does he have pipes. And his backing band was incredible.

Here's the Toronto setlist (copied from the bt link)

Ryan Adams & The Cardinals

2007-06-22

Enwave Theatre

Toronto, ON

Setlist

-----------------------------------------

01 Please Do Not Let Me Go

02 Starlite Diner

03 Oh My God, Whatever, Etc...

04 The Sun Also Sets

05 Goodnight Rose

06 Blue Hotel

07 Nightbirds

08 Let It Ride

09 Dear John

10 Halloween Head

11 Games

12 Two

13 Elizabeth

14 Carolina Rain

15 I Taught Myself How To Grow Old

16 Everybody Knows

17 Goodnight Hollywood Boulevard

NO ENCORE> WTF RA. You have one more chance with me.

So' date=' you say its the best show you have ever seen under one hrs 30 mins and how his vocals almost made you cry yet you are only giving him one more chance?

Yeeeeeeeeah. That makes alot of sense.[/quote']

-I drove 5 hours because he isn't going to come to Ottawa soon

-It was my first RA show and I think he might have been able to piss into my ears and I would have loved it

-It cost way too much for a show that ran from 8:45 until 9:50

-Maybe it doesn't make sense to you, but that makes it make sense to me

-I might have only seen about 10 shows in my life that were this short in length, so the competition was light

The first time is always the highwater mark in my world. For music, drugs and lovers ;-)

Its approximately an hour and a half tour. This was last nights setlist:

Please Do Not Let Me Go

Dear John

Starlite Diner

The Sun Also Sets

Oh My Good, Whatever, Etc...

Let It Ride

Blue Hotel

Nightbirds

Halloween Head

Elizabeth, You Were Born To Play The Part

Everybody Knows

Blue Sky Blues

Two

I Taught Myself How To Grow Old

Carolina Rain

Goodnight Hollywood Boulevard

I See Monsters

Encore:

Down In A Hole

If it makes sense to you Taylor, that is all that matters. I feel lucky to have scored an acoustic set for my first time seeing him. For that matter, Ryan went on record to say he is planning an extensive Fall Tour consisting of an acoustic first set and an electric second set.

I'll be hitting the road for one of those gigs.

Also, I believe it was TimmyB who once said that Ryan is very hit and miss. You have a 50% shot at either a bum show or brilliance. He said he will always go because the chance of getting brilliance makes it worth it.

It was of a story where he had a complete hissy fit because somebody yelled out something like that at a show.

And is typically included in many modern-day newspaper/magazine articles printed about him, much like Phish articles almost always contained mention of the Grateful Dead.

when the sacrilegious few were screaming out "Sylvia Plath" and other tunes he wont play anymore, i was so very very tempted to scream out Summer of '69 ... good thing i didnt ... otherwise everyone would have blamed his no show encore on me.

i'd still go see him again, no question. was a great little show in a great little venue.

This was my first time seeing Ryan and I can't say I was displeased in ANY way. Except for the dumbasses who paid $30US to go see him and the proceeded to TALK through the entire thing. All I could think was in the words of Jeff Tweedy "If you want to go get drunk and talk, why did you waste $35 to come see me?"

I didn't know what to expect from him live musically, but I can tell you I was blown away. This man has superb control over his voice and had me floored from the first song. I had goosebumps...and I NEVER get goosebumps at shows anymore...it was like he awakened a part of me I forgot was there...I appreciate the entire thing. I don't care how long or short it was.....it's quality, not quantity that matters.

All I can say is thank you Ryan. I smiled the entire four hour drive back home to Canada!!!

Did he play Summer of '69????

:)

Nothing like pissing off a prima donna :)

Just kidding. Actually' date=' I remember that was the first time I had heard of Ryan. It was of a story where he had a complete hissy fit because somebody yelled out something like that at a show. [/quote']

Pitchfork: Do you ever wonder if people go to Bryan Adams shows and yell out the names of your songs?

Adams: I don't know! I think the only reason that they do that-- I mean, they don't really do it much anymore, I hear it once in a very long while-- is because they think that it actually makes me mad. They think that the song name is what makes me mad, which is absurd. I don't care what they were yelling. The problem is that the guy who was yelling that song title out, the time I got really mad, was yelling it over and over again. And Gillian Welch and David Rawlings were on stage with me, and we were singing a three-part harmony to "Bartering Lines", with no musical accompaniment, except a banjo and his Archtop guitar.

So when the breakdown happens, it's just three voices, and the guy yells it out. And I'm so honored to be onstage with those guys, you know? And this guy screaming over them? "Summer of '69"? It's like, you know what, it wasn't fucking funny the first time you did it, which is why nobody laughed. But after eight or nine times? At the Ryman? I was just like, this sucks. These are my friends. Just stop. So when I kicked that guy out, everybody thought it was because he was confusing me with Bryan Adams. But it was more a matter of respect. I mean, come on, there are these bluegrass musicians up here, the best out there that I know of.

Link to Pitchfork interview article.