Jambands.ca

labtop help

Jakis

I am going to be buying a labtop in the very near future. I am thinking about making the switch to mac. I will be using it for music, movies, some film editing and recording some music. Im looking to spend around 1500 - 2000. Anyone, know what good macbooks to take a look at that would be in my price range.

thanks,

Jake

Apple laptops come in two flavours...macbook and macbook pro. In your price range the only option is the macbook (the macbook pro starts at $2200). So the highest end macbook (2.16 ghz) comes with 1 gb ram and a 160 gb hardrive for $1650, but is upgradable to 2 gb ram, and a 200 gb hardrive. I think these two upgrades are between $300 and $400 in total, putting you up around the $2000 range.. I am looking to buy one of these soon too so I happen to know all the pricing pretty well. Now seeing as you want to run video editing applications, I am not sure if 2 gb of ram are enough, if that's the case you would have to go up to the macbook pro which comes with 2 gb, but is upgradeable to 4 gb (for a pretty hefty price tag...like almost $1000).

If you have any other questions let me know...I likely won't be back online until tomorrow though...when I'm at work and have time to fuck around!

When I am ready for a new laptop I will probably move to a Macbook. My experience with the desktop iMac has been very pleasant as a computer user.

The windows platform is now mainly for either gaming or developing software. It looks like you would benefit from getting a mac, although the only hiccup I've experienced with the mac is getting software in the warez scene. It can be found, but if you take a software update (photoshop for instance) your 'copy' is useless.

• 4 years later...