Jambands.ca

Wolfe Island Music Festival

DevO

http://wolfeislandmusicfest.com/

Is happening August 10/11 weekend. Is anyone checking it out? I think I might.

Friday August 10th – 8:30pm

Hootenanny Review

featuring

Jenny Whitely- www.jennywhiteley.com

Luther Wright- www.lutherwrightandthewrongs.com/

Julie Fader - www.myspace.com/juliefader

Jim Bryson- www.myspace.com/jimbryson

Saturday, August 11th – gates –12pm

Wolf Parade - www.myspace.com/wolfparade

Holy F*ck - www.myspace.com/holyfuck

Apostle of Hustle - www.myspace.com/apostleofhustle

Weeping Tile - www.sarahharmer.com

Born Ruffians - www.myspace.com/bornruffians

Spiral Beach- www.myspace.com/spiralbeach

Basia Bulat - www.myspace.com/basiamyspace

The Ride Theory www.myspace.com/theridetheory

Nich Worby www.myspace.com/nichworby

For those who have been before, whats this festival like? Good set-up? Good camping?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there in 98, 99 or 2000 and the Burt Neilson Band was playing. It was ALOT of fun. If it's the same area, the camping was not the greatest. We managed to set up tents in one of the only shaded areas (smart), and the rest of the camping was in a big open field to which hot sun poured upon hungover and dehydrated souls. They also hosted a late night rave in a barn. I'm not sure if they have the same setup, but heading over on the ferry was a blast, sneaking drinks for the wait and the 1/2 hour ride.

Chad VanGaalen was originally part of the Saturday lineup. Too bad he seems to have cancelled. Not that Saturday needs him...

A friends older brother is really good friends with Apostle of Hustle's Julien Brown. When AOH did a Fuse taping here in Ottawa not along ago, he was talking to Julien afterwards and they were discussing the wolfe island fest which they have apparently played in years past. Julien was saying that the Friday night at the "Barn" usually turns into a jam session with any musicians who have already shown up. He said they would likely be there on the Friday. WOuldn't want to entice anyone to go Friday night in case nothing happened but that would be very cool and you can't doubt the reliability of the source. (well, you folks can but I can't)

I don't know why you folks are hesitating on Friday night's official line-up anyway. The Hootenanny lineup is killer. What'samattawityou! AD, NW, you fockers know better than that!

it's all in the timing and my low interest level - the girlfriend can't make it back from where she is until saturday morning, so i'm gonna meet her there. from what i've read the camping experience doesn't sound all that great. but i might still come down on the friday and stay in kingston, depends on some circumstances.

the hootenanny lineup is the same hootenanny lineup that has been touring for 2 years, plus i've seen bryson 5 times this year already.... i dunno. it just doesn't excite me all that much.

are you coming to this kevo or will you still be overseas?

Krug Dishes On New Sunset Rubdown, Wolf Parade

Juggling follow-ups for critically acclaimed bands doesn't seem to be a problem for Canadian indie rock artist Spencer Krug. First up is Sunset Rubdown's third release, "Random Spirit Lover," due Oct. 2 as the first in a new deal with Jagjaguwar.

"I would say that the structures of songs in Sunset Rubdown are getting quite elaborate, whereas before we might have curbed or restricted that impulse," Krug tells Billboard.com. "I think we consciously were trying to get a cleaner, more direct, to-the-point kind of sound, with every note having a specific purpose. No filler. But old habits die hard and I know that throughout the record there are moments of absolute clusterf*ck."

Of the recording process, Krug says that each song was recorded in the order that it appears on the album, as well as finished, before moving to the next. "Each song was treated as its own piece of art and worked on carefully, considerately, in attempt to let it reach it's full potential," Krug says. "Doing it one track at a time, in order, allowed us to watch the record unfold as we recorded it, and record each song in accordance with how it would compliment the one that came before it, and what was coming next."

"I liked working this way more than doing a pile of bed tracks, then going back and doing overdubs on everything, then going back again to do vocals all at one go," he adds. "I think that way of working treats the songs with less respect, as cheesy as that sounds, and can lead to flat albums, texturally, or some kind of aesthetic monotony."

Compared to his full-time work with Wolf Parade, Krug describes the Sunset Rubdown experience as "slower" and "purposefully thought out. Sunset Rubdown is more of an emotional exercise," he explains. "[it's] the band that I use to get sh*t off my chest, and more of a cerebral thing too, musically, where I allow myself to indulge in nerdy tendencies like long structures, and two or three part harmonies, guitar solos, etc."

Wolf Parade is in the midst of recording the follow-up to 2005's "Apologies to the Queen Mary," which debuted at No. 6 on Billboard's Heatseekers chart. Although no title or track listing is ready, Krug says that there is "an album's worth of songs."

"So far, I like it better than the last one. It feels more honest, more natural, less self-involved," Krug says. "We're realizing that what we do well together is play rock music. Catchy stuff. And so on this record we're letting that blossom instead of fighting it."

Krug also says that it's "more collaborative" than "Apologies," contains "less distorted synthesizers" and "a few moments you might think of Stevie Wonder."

Wolf Parade will kick off a month-long tour Aug. 11 in Kingston, Canada, while Sunset Rubdown is slated for an October outing, starting at Boston's Middle East Club on Oct. 7.

It's interesting because I thought they were a lot further along than that. But then again those guys are total disasters in terms of having their shit together, so I guess it shouldn't surprise.

Handsome Furs were excellent the other night in Ottawa. I like that project much better than Sunset Rubdown.

Really curious to see if Wolf Parade will play some new songs at Wolfe Island. That would be a treat.