Jambands.ca

Is Toronto one of the worst places to meet new people?

The Chameleon

from the SCTV episode guide (i love this skit):

19 Garth and Gord and Fiona and Alice 143

Garth and Gord (surgeon and lawyer) drive to Toronto from the Maritimes in search of lawyering and doctoring jobs. They pick up Fiona, a nuclear physicist, in Quebec, and run over a woodchuck being filmed for Hinterland Who's Who. They arrive in Toronto full of hope, but Garth's pal says things are slow and there are no jobs after all. They go to Yonge Street, where they meet Alice. Fiona finds a job setting up pins in a bowling alley. Gord gets Alice pregnant. They go to Yonge Street to think. Alice leaves Gord. They decide head out to Alberta.

Music by Stompin' Tom Conners ('To It and At It'), Gordon Lightfoot ('Alberta Bound') and Paul Flaherty does a hard-rockin' cover version of 'To It and At It' (apparently as a parody of David Clayton Thomas).

Garth - Candy; Gord - Flaherty; Fiona Cournoyer - Martin; Alice - Jayne Eastwood; Hinterland director - Levy; irate hospital patient, staff - extra; CBC crew - extras; citizens of Toronto - themselves, eh?

I remember bumping into people and saying sorry... and they would just keep on walking.. :P

Read this on www.overheardinnewyork.com. Thought it went well with this thread.

Yuppie woman, bumping into a man: Sorry.

Man: Don't say sorry. This is New York. Nobody says sorry.

Woman: What do you want me to say? Fuck you??

Man: That's better. This is New York. Who says sorry?

Woman: Fuck you.

A guy calls into a radio station, and the DJ informs him he's just won a contest.

"Congratulations, you're the 10th caller through and you've won our GRAND PRIZE!" says the DJ.

"Awesome, what's the prize?" says the caller.

"A one week stay in Toronto!"

"Nah, I don't want that, can I have the second place prize instead?"

"Sure"

"So what did I win?"

"A TWO week stay in Toronto!"

..So I just saw this special on dating in Canada on CP24 and surprise, surprise Toronto was rated the worst city to date in Canada.

The funny thing was the person being interviewed had no response as to why?...other than the fast pace of life....

Yikes...

Oh well I still love the city for it's entertainment and beautiful skyline...but socially it's got issues...

(FWIW)

Basic manners are expected?

If I bump into someone and it's my fault or i knock them over and it puts them out then yes. I acknowledge it.

If someone cuts me off and I keep walking it's their own fault and they need to learn to not do that. I really don't go out of my way to extend warm wishes when they're not deserved.

Manners I have. I'm more outwardly friendly than most people and it's pretty obvious that when social norms are expected then it's more of a rule to have to follow than a genuine way of life.

When it comes to DATING...I've been out of the loop for well over a year and am entirely happy about that - not just because I am in love (aww isn't that cute) but because single people can be entirely pathetic and when I'm single I'm genuinely uncomfortable. Mix that with being boxed into the most densely populated neighbourhood in Canada it makes me really not hold my tongue.

Girls appreciate tact. how the hell did I manage keep her around for so long?

I remember meeting people and being so impatient. Anxious, crazy, lonely, frustrated...

Internet dating is really not the best way to approach women as such when you're in a hurry unless you have lots of money and cocaine.

I think it's really fair to say that giving up on meeting people and getting into yourself is easily the best way to enjoy your time and attract the people you need to.

Go have a beer with your friend. It's probably not goping to be that hard to meet someone new when you do