Jambands.ca

a really killer GD show for download....

jon.

quote:

This ain't no thang. Try 8-6-74 for the real deal

http://www.gdlive.com/shn/gd74-08-06.shnf/

quote:

Grateful Dead

Roosevelt Stadium

Jersey City, NJ

8/6/74

MR > DAT > CD > Sonic Solutions > CD Circulation

shn:

Plextor SCSI 40x Reader > EAC

As of Sept 00, this copy is just entering circulation. For more info on the source of this copy, read Jim Powell's comments below.

.shn and .md5 created by Mike Hall (myko@well.com)

>From Jim Powell:

"OK, I just got the master of the DeadLists Edition of Roosevelt

Stadium, Jersey City 8/6/74: a digital copy of the master SBD reels

with the 20 second flip cut in Scarlet Begonias patched with an

excellent AUD master. This is the entire show including Seastones, in

perfect condition, on 4 CDs.

We owe thanks especially to Hugh Barroll, who passed along CDs of a

digital copy of the master SBD; to Ihor Slabicky, who supplied a copy of

his AUD master of the show; and to Dave Greenberg, who used Soundforge

to patch the tape flip in Scarlet Begonias on the SBD and produce our

masters. Noah Weiner also helped with the project, forwarding a copy of

Barry Glassberg's AUD master."

and later Jim reiterated:

"The lineage of this copy of 8/6/74 is MR > DAT > CDs. It is the

entire show, uncut, including Seastones (and the encore). The flip chop

in Scarlet is expertly patched with excellent AUD. It very markedly

upgrades the copy that came around a year or so ago, as well as all

other circulating copies. Until and unless they release this as a Dick's

Picks, and do as good or better a job than we have with the patch, this

is the ultimate copy of this alltime great show, hands down, no shit."

FURTHUR: More work was done on this by David Gans using Sonic Solutions. A digital copy of Ihor Slabicky's tape and the cd's from Dave Greenberg were used to further patch the reel flips in Eyes of the World and Truckin'. David also edited the reel starts and stops between songs. Nothing that was said was removed. What we have here is the *FINAL* copy of this, my first show, to be circulated!

These .shn's have been generated from the discs David Gans made. MD5's have been generated for both the .wav and .shn files. I, before sending Greenbergs disks to Gans, retracked the original Disk 2 as there were 2 leadin tracks that were orphaned from the main song track.

Jim said it first, " .. this is the ultimate copy of this alltime great show, hands down, no shit."

*****CD1:

1. Bertha 5:29

2. Talk :26

3. Mexicali Blues 3:31

4. Don't Ease Me In 3:25

5. Beat It Down The Line 3:37

6. Sugaree 7:31

7. Jack Straw 5:13

8. Eyes of the World 18:59

9. Don't Climb on the fence, idiot! :23

10. Promised Land 3:13

11. Deal 4:49

Total Time: 56:38

*****CD2:

1. Playin' In The Band -> 22:38

2. Scarlet Begonias -> 8:15

3. Playin' In The Band Reprise 5:44

***2nd Set***

4. Phil & Ned 16:30

Total Time: 53:13

*****CD3:

1. Uncle John's Band 11:15

2. Black Peter 10:38

3. El Paso 4:21

4. Chatter :15

5. Loose Lucy 5:15

6. Big River 5:01

7. Ship of Fools 6:31

8. Me & My Uncle 2:50

9. Row Jimmy 8:03

Total Time: 54:16

*****CD4:

1. Sugar Magnolia -> 6:36

2. He's Gone -> 12:08

3. Truckin' -> 13:52

4. Spanish Jam -> 7:01

5. Other One Jam -> 4:38

6. The Other One -> 5:37

7. Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad -> 6:15

8. Sunshine Daydream 2:43

9. E: U.S. Blues 5:33

Total Time: 64:27

I have lost it many a time to the Other One Jam > The Other One.

Me likes this show.

And its available in shn format.

Woohoo!

Oh man, I could just go OFF about it, but what little Dead listening I do these days is usually confined to one of the many beauties found in 1969 and 1972.

Although 6-14-76 is a good listen, and so is 3-23-75 if you can stand the quality. Live Blues for Allah anyone?

quote:

Originally posted by ahess6488:

Oh man, I could just go OFF about it, but what little Dead listening I do these days is usually confined to one of the many beauties found in 1969 and 1972.

Although 6-14-76 is a good listen, and so is 3-23-75 if you can stand the quality. Live Blues for Allah anyone?

Couldnt agree more with ya about 69-72..by far my favorite years,but live BFA!!!

Bring it on!

ALl this talk makes me wish I had some GD at work. Not too long ago I burned all 20 gigs of my Dead shows (MP3 mostly, sorry that they aren't in tradeable condition) so that I would have room for more Slip shows. The dead will always have a special place in my heart, somewhere next to the first kiss/first fuck/first smoke. I remember picking up a few studio albums on a whim and thinking "meh", listening to a friend's copy of DP 1 and thinking "hmm". then going to dead.net and buying, completely at random, DP 12. I picked it only because of the setlist and my presumption about the year...at this point I hadn't started collecting. When I got those discs I threw them in my discman and lay on my bed (totally sober in case you're wondering). I was lost...just totally lost in that music. Such a great opening too...going from tuning into China Cat in that way.

I've sinced put alot of the dead to the side to check out bands I can actually see Live, but I probably wouldn't be doing so if I hadn't heard the Grateful Dead first. We owe them alot.

Wow, I'm getting vaklempt

Yeah I ordered DP 1 the very day it was released from GDM,still my favorite of those.

I still listen hardcore to GD,but always find room for bands I havent seen live or do see live,although I only got to see 33 GD shows before Jerry died,I still cant get enough GD,I need about 3Gb+ of Dead a day to feel sane.

Just picked up dicks picks 11 recently....wow!!!Stanley Theatre, Jersey City, NJ ~~ 9/27/72

CD ONE

Morning Dew (12:38)

Beat it on down the Line (3:35)

Friend of the Devil (4:06)

Black-Throated Wind (6:53)

Tennessee Jed (8:09)

Mexicali Blues (3:39)

Bird Song (11:47)

Big River (4:52)

Brokedown Palace (5:59)

El Paso (4:42)

CD TWO

China Cat Sunflower (7:25)

I Know You Rider (5:26)

Playing in the Band (16:14)

He's Gone (13:31)

Me and My Uncle (3:39)

Deal (4:52)

Greatest Story Ever Told (5:29)

Ramble on Rose (6:28)

CD THREE

Dark Star (30:50)

Cumberland Blues (6:56)

Attics of my Life (5:11)

Promised Land (3:04)

Uncle John's Band (8:44)

Casey Jones (7:29)

Around and Around (5:18)

I love this show!!! the darkstar is sick!!

Here's the deal, friends: 1972 - 1974 = "Primal Dead" (thanks, Dick). You just can't go wrong. Whether it's the cornucopia of Europe '72, the new morning, Wall Of Sound jams of Spring 1973, or face down in the primordial pool of deep psychedelia that is Summer 1974, this is the Dead in their deepest, most exploratory period. All of them were young enough to be able to handle the stamina of these long, exploratory gigs but old enough to have a few years of playing under their belt. They were at once focused yet loose, tight but open, earthy yet spacy. They introduced some of their most beloved originals during this period AND played through some of their finest ensemble playing. With Kreutzmann free to swing to his acid-laced hearts' content, and Jerry at the absolute top of his game, this is my favorite peiod of the Grateful Dead, hands down. There are other periods I love too, and truth be told, I'm not always in the mood to commit to the psychic meltdowns that are the hallmarks of this period, but this is the real shit for me.

-

I whole heartedly agree Marc0,it is an amazing era of GD.

For me what makes 69-72 my favorite era is Pigpen,I need to hear him belting out some tunes to feel complete.

But in reality I am a Deadhead,1966-present is what I crave.

Now 9/27/72, that IS a thang. The night prior is also good. I'm not knocking your selection Jon, just pointing out that there's some that's better.

I agree wholeheartedly MarcO. While a little Mickey never hurt anyone, much of, IMO, their best work was with one good ol' rock and roll drummer. Then again, many of my favorites from 69 are shows with Mickey, so I guess I shouldn't be so hard on him. There's a passage in McNally's book which I'm currently reading where he talks about the two of them first practicing together...taking acid and linking arms so that each drummer was using one arm on the same drum kit. Still, I'll opt for a good timekeeping over 60-piece drum kits any day

That whole 69 - 72 period is so fascinating, mainly in that we identify little peculiarites to each year. So we think endless sets of St.Stephen>Eleven>Dark Star>Lovelight to 69, the acoustic, old timeyness of 70 and 71, and the otherworldliness of 1972. I agree that 73 and 74 had balls too, but 1969 and 1972 are my two choices for years in which the Grateful Dead were reaching way beyond anything that had ever been created. To be able to say, 30+ years later, that there's never been a band who blew minds like the grateful dead is a really great thing. And considering I never even saw them and I can say this with complete confidence bestows an even greater compliment on their already weighed-down shoulders.

A bibliography for the above, from memory:

10/31/69 (you ninnies think Phish invented the halloween show?)

6/7/69

10/25/69

2/21/69

4/14/72 (you don't even KNOW from darkstar!)

8/21/72 (you don't even KNOW!! from darkstar)

9/17/72

9/21/72

and my personal fave: 4/8/72

PhunkyCauldron, I'm just doin' what I learned from my predecessor.

Gotta love on-the-job training!

I got the show burned on another machine, so we'll make it fly in the bouche-mobile on the way to MOE.DOWN!

Keep an eye out for us PHUNKY! We'll be looking for you!

hey greg -

do you have access to or know anyone who has access to:

10-19-81 Sports Palace, Barcelona, Spain (Mon)

1: Jack Straw> Franklin's, Mama Tried> Mexicali, Loser, C. C. Rider, Tennessee Jed, Passenger, Althea, Let It Grow

2: Scarlet> Fire, Sailor> Saint> Drumz> Spanish Jam> Other One> Stella Blue> Sugar Magnolia E: Don't Ease

i've been tryin' to find this on cd for ages...

quote:

Originally posted by c-towns:

Have you guys heard that New Years Allman Bros show in 73 with Garcia? Good Shit!!!

Got it right here,all 4 discs.

Oh and marc0 lighten up buddy,is just you gettin into that,there was no mention of anything like that nor was there goin to be until you brought it up.Jeez...you guys get so upset when a comment is made,guess thats why I continually do it....

quote:

Originally posted by jon:

hey greg -

do you have access to or know anyone who has access to:

10-19-81 Sports Palace, Barcelona, Spain (Mon)

1: Jack Straw> Franklin's, Mama Tried> Mexicali, Loser, C. C. Rider, Tennessee Jed, Passenger, Althea, Let It Grow

2: Scarlet> Fire, Sailor> Saint> Drumz> Spanish Jam> Other One> Stella Blue> Sugar Magnolia E: Don't Ease

i've been tryin' to find this on cd for ages...

I dont have it,but I'll ask around Jon.

"Now we get to the most over-rated show in G.D. history, outside of 5/8/77 - Ithaca"

I couldnt agree more Dick.........although, as Ahess pointed out, it never happened. Still, its a geat show, and I am not trying to take anything away from it. That Fire and the Morning Dew have some of my FAVORITE Jerry 'fannings' ever.

Its funny, I was going to post 09-21-72, but I started to read what Dick had to say before I hit the Reply button. I think I listen to that more than any other show I have downloaded, aside from my first show.

Anyways, all I can say is that Dick's got taste.

Might As Well let him take this one:

First up is 9/21/72- Philadelphia Spectrum. This show is one of my favorite shows ever. This version of "Dark Star->Morning Dew" might be the best one! (there is a jam segment that is very unique and thrilling, and one that I don't really think that I have ever heard before.) The "Not Fade Away->GDTRFB->NFA" is another delicious morsel from this power packed evening. Each song is well played and worthy of attention. I think the other major highlights are "Sugar Magnolia", "Bird Song", "Loser", "Playing in the Band", "Truckin", and "Cumberland Blues".

Sheet, i GOTTA get this one:

In Wichita (11/17), one of the best shows, of this period occurred. Garcia is playing with gusto and originality thru-out the show. :"Bird Song" and "Sugar Magnolia" are the highpoints outside of

the real goods delivered in the jam:"Truckin->jam->The Other One->jam->The Other One->Brokedown Palace".

(the"jam" segments contain lengthy and very unique playing.)

Archived