Jambands.ca

What's Sam Roberts like?

StoneMtn

I think I've seen him play at some huge shows, like maybe Sarstock and/or Live 8 or something. I seem to recall he's actually pretty cool, and Canadian (which I always like). I really don't remember anything about his performance, though, other than that I think he has poofy hair.

As it happens, he's playing in Bala this Saturday, and I'm going to be there, anyway. I was thinking of possibly hitting up this show for something to do.

Has anyone seen him? Is he too "poppy"? I'm listening to a sample song from his site, and he sounds pretty cool, with a bit of a Beta Band sound.

Anyone have any comments from seeing him live?

Hmmmm. Interesting. I've meant to see The Spades for a few years anyway.

I suspect phishtaper has a point about Sam Roberts, which is why I asked if he's too poppy, but options are slim in the Muskokas when it comes to nightlife, so I'm pretty lenient at the moment, and flexible on who I might be willing to see on Saturday.

Anyone else see him?

commercially boring? i'm not sure what that means.

anyways, i think you'll have a good time if you go. good songs, great performer, sweaty, good time rock and roll. i've never been disappointed by his shows, i've seen him in small clubs and huge outdoor places like sarsfest and the blues festival, among others.

not all that complex musically, but great party music rarely is. you'll definitely recongnize some songs. Brother Down, Don't Walk Away Eileen, Bridge to Nowhere - these are some of his bigger hits.

good songs, great performer, sweaty, good time rock and roll.

not all that complex musically, but great party music rarely is.

From what I know about Sam, this sounds like an accurate description. If I were in the Muskokas this weekend, I'm not sure I'd go to see him on his own, but I sure wouldn't be bummed to see a show with The Spades opening for him.

Aloha,

Brad

if i were in the neighbourhood and he was playing, regardless of opening act, i would go.

when i said 'not all that complex' i didn't mean it's 3-chord pop ditties, i meant that it's not zappa or coltrane.

two other big hits are 'where have all the good people gone?' and 'hard road'

he has won 4 junos, if that means anything.

Guest Low Roller

I've always enjoyed Sam Roberts. His first album is still a fun one that gets some rotation in my oversaturated music collection.

I do however recall Dave-O and Stapes violently protesting the album while driving in my car.

There you go.

Okay, I think my decision will depend on how much I feel like going out on Saturday. It sounds like a potentially decent-time.

As peace lizard alluded to, I am a new father and don't get much opportunity to go out these days. As it happens, though, my mother lives in the Muskokas so I have a captive babysitter on Saturday, which is why I'm sort of looking for something to do.

peace lizard: Being a Dad rocks. Vanessa is doing great, and the pets are being great with her. I can't wait for you to meet her. (Can you believe I'm in charge of the life of another human being? Who woulda thought?)

Scary shit bro! I'm sure you'll be a fine Daddy ... at least until she hits her teens.

I'm changing apartments here in Ottawa on Friday, but after that I'll have some free time to travel. I'll definitely make the trip down to meet Vanessa once you guys are up for visitors. Maybe I can convince Velvet to drive me.

Send me some photos.

Go to the show, see the Spades, you'll have fun.