Jambands.ca

New HNiC changes

hamilton

Link to article in the Toronto Star.

I'm fine with reduced time for Bob Cole, but this part drives me bonkers:

The CBC announced yesterday that it has revamped its pre-game show and retooled the Satellite Hotstove, even dropping the word satellite from its title.

Those moves should perk things up a bit without rattling too many cages.

Executive producer Sherali Najak wants more flexibility on the second intermission show, meaning more players and fewer journalists. The reporter-heavy show was too often too "in" for most viewers.

"When it's hockey talk, the players who played the game will break down the game for us," he said yesterday. "When there are issues that we need some digging on, we'll ask the journalists to come on."

That means the roles of Pierre LeBrun, Eric Duhatschek et al will be reduced.

So... we going to dumb it down, so that we get less real info and analysis from guys who know what they're talking about? In favour of hearing more from the players? Because, you know, the player interviews are always so informative: "Well, y'know, we're not hustlin' enough. Those guys are beating us to the puck, so we have to dig down deep and give 110% and create some opportunities to score. We've gotta be tighter on D, and shut down their big scorers, keep them away from the net. And we need to stay out of the penalty box. If we can do those things, we can win this game!" Great, thanks for the information.

Harry Neale joining Sabres booth: report

Last Updated: Monday, October 1, 2007 | 9:35 AM ET

CBC Sports

Hockey Night in Canada analyst Harry Neale is leaving the Toronto Maple Leafs' regional broadcasts to join the Buffalo Sabres' announcing crew, the Toronto Star reported Monday.

Neale's former role as the colour commentator for Leafs regional broadcasts on TSN, Rogers Sportsnet and Leafs TV will be filled by fellow Hockey Night in Canada analyst Greg Millen, the Star said.

Neale, who lives in the Buffalo area, will replace Jim Lorentz alongside legendary play-by-play man Rick Jeanneret in the Sabres' booth. Lorentz announced his retirement last week after 26 years with the Sabres.

Neale will continue to work for Hockey Night in Canada. He and longtime broadcast partner Bob Cole each agreed to two-year contract extensions with the CBC in July.

Neale, 70, has provided colour commentary on Hockey Night in Canada since 1985. Prior to entering broadcasting, the Sarnia, Ont., native coached the Detroit Red Wings and served as general manager and head coach of the Vancouver Canucks.

more good news!

MacLean, CBC reach long-term deal

Last Updated: Monday, October 1, 2007 | 3:26 PM ET

CBC Sports

Host Ron MacLean will be welcoming viewers to Hockey Night in Canada for at least the next seven seasons after agreeing to a new contract Monday.

The new deal will run through the 2013-14 campaign, which coincides with the television deal struck by the CBC and National Hockey League in March.

"For millions of Canadians, Ron is the face of CBC Sports, and we are absolutely thrilled to continue our partnership with him for the long term," Scott Moore, the executive director of CBC Sports, said in a statement.

"He has become a great ambassador for our network. He is the best in the business and has played an integral role in building CBC's Hockey Night in Canada into the most influential and popular sports brand in Canada."

MacLean joined the network in 1986 and hosted the Toronto Maple Leafs' telecasts on HNIC before becoming the full-time national host the following year.

He will host a HNIC doubleheader on Oct. 4 when the Ottawa Senators visit Toronto at 7 p.m. ET, followed by the Calgary Flames hosting Philadelphia.

• 3 weeks later...
so... you think Bob Cole deserves an award for being the best hockey play-by-play guy?

Right now, Bob is in the Top 3, diminished skills (see brain) et al. As hockey announcers go in the history of the game, Bob is one of the best. Bob doesn't deserve the Gemini for last year's work, but Bob deserves a Gemini for his career work. What do I know? I think Don Whittman is the best hockey play-by-play man in Canada. Most improved is Jim Hughson. Worst is Joe Bowen.

That's enough for me.

Well deserved while I drop my Leaf bias which Cole has had in spades. You know me Jaimoe. For years we didnt listen to the broadcast (which is why you hated coming over to visit), and barely could see games if you recall the 90 Curtis Cr feed. Nowadays I love Jim Hughson's commentary. He's so strong on the play that I think he could provide a running opinion on Pigpen/Dead shows provided the werent so passed by. He's about the only one that I would believe. I also like that Dean Brown dude alot. He makes it easy to watch the Sens.

Mark Lee out west calls a good game too. Whittman and Lee are excellent utility broadcasters. They are excellent at football, the Olympics (especially track and field) and hockey. Cole is more known as a Leaf HNIC guy, but he'd still deserve a career Gemini for his work pre-Leafs and all his Canada Cups, World Cups, Olympics etc...

Does anyone in Ottawa remember Dave Schrieber' date=' the one who used to call the Riders games on the radio.

Wonder if he can do hockey?[/quote']

Yes indeed, he does the '67s games on the radio.

And Ottawa Senator games when Dean is on TV. He's old school homer.