Jambands.ca

Diesel Dog @ the Boathouse in Kitchener Nov. 2nd

celticwolfsun

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just finished work so i'll dig in and figure out what is going on. if the boathouse is off.. we need to find something else in k town quick. i still want a k town show to happen. i'll be back.

Hey Ricky,

Hopefully something works out if The Boathouse is not a go for Friday. Keep us posted. And let me know if you need any info re: the Lanc.

The only other last-minute possibility I can think of is downstairs at the Walper, where Scot and Becky had their wedding party.

Peace, Mark

cool....ya i just sent you an email about the lanc.

and good idea with the walper.. didn't even cross my mind. any other ideas would be great if anyone has any.

i'm going out tonight to personaly talk to a few bar people to figure somthing out. i'll be back.

Email reply sent, hopefully it will all work out.

Peace, Mark

If the thunder don't call it then the lightnin' will! This is some of the worst news/rumour I've hoped to dispell for some time! Even from as far as Southampton, I felt the shock waves before the actual event. SAY IT AIN'T SO! If there's any possibilty of another venue I would be down in the rear. It would only confirm my fears. The Boathouse is a great place, a town hall of sorts and has been for so many over the last couple of years. A shooting star really...my heaviest vibrations go to Kevin and all the staff at the BoHo...gaah!

Here is a copy of the article about the Boathouse situation that appeared in the local paper on Saturday:

The future looks uncertain for one of Waterloo Region's most popular live music venues.

The Boathouse in Victoria Park may not host any more concerts after this weekend.

A number of shows have been cancelled, including a scheduled performance by Ian North two nights ago and Alfie Smith's Nov. 3 concert.

Smith and other regular performers at the Boathouse say they had heard rumours about the club's impending closure during the summer, and that those rumours that resurfaced this week.

Smith said he called Boathouse manager Kevin Doyle on Thursday and learned that his gig would be cancelled and would not be rescheduled for another date.

"(Doyle) said it was closed and all the shows are cancelled," Smith said yesterday in an interview.

"It's a shame because . . . it was one of the good blues rooms around. It has the right atmosphere for the blues."

Contacted by phone yesterday, Doyle said it was too early to declare that the Boathouse is closing and that he "really can't confirm anything either way yet."

What he would confirm is that he will no longer be working at the city-owned venue after this month.

"I'm leaving," Doyle said. "I'm done at the end of the month. I've had enough."

Doyle's departure and the concert cancellations came as a surprise to staff at the City of Kitchener.

"It's news to us," Doug Hergott, manager of facilities management, said Wednesday.

"No one at city hall knows anything about the closing."

Over the past couple of years, the intimate venue on the waterfront in Victoria Park has hosted regular blues, roots, folk and alt-country concerts.

The Boathouse has provided a stage for the annual Kitchener Blues Festival and local blues legend Mel Brown was recently feted there on his 68th birthday.

Many of the top players on the local music scene, such as Lucas Stagg and Shannon Lyon, have hosted popular series at the club.

----------

Peace, Mark

yes the market parking garage.. t think they owe me that much for putting me out every saturday.

anyway....

the boathouse is a go for this friday nov. 2nd. so see ya all there.

there is a ska band opening up. probably starting at 9 or 930 ish.

i think some words got out that shouldn't have. then the wrong words got to the wrong people. just grew out of wack a bit. i think there was a small chance of it not happening but not as serious as the paper made it sound. i wonder if kevin even knew that article was going to be in the paper.