Jambands.ca

ottawa firefighters

phorbesie

do other people get harassed by this charity?

after giving once a few years ago, i get a phone call every few weeks. i've asked every time to be removed from the list. ha. i've tried finding an owner or manager that i can call to have them deal with this but haven't had any luck finding out who that is or how to contact them.

my brother in law gets calls from them 5 times a day!!!! it's an automated call so he can't do anything. last night i was over there for dinner and it called 3 times. just as i was leaving he actually got a human on the other line. when he asked them to stop calling the person laughed at him and hung up.

i've told so many people never to give to this charity because of this stuff. thinking of writing a letter to the citizen exposing these losers.

anyone else?

they've never mentioned any of those things bradm.

they just say it's ottawa firefighters. it's usually asking for money to send a kid to a hockey game or something.

I'd use one of the contacts at the link I gave, above, and ask them what's going on (including as many details as possible, even caller ID if you have it). I'm thinking it might be a fake charity that'll (maybe) give a token amount to the firefighters, but isn't actually officially part of their fund-raising. (It's the same as things like the "Canadian Cancer Institute", which sounds close enough to the Canadian Cancer Society to fool a lot of people, but isn't the real thing.)

Aloha,

Brad

that sucks if people are running a scam

I've heard that the best way to handle telemarketing charities (to whom you might want to donate money) is not to donate during the call, but instead ask them to send you the charity's brochure in the mail. Legitimate charities will gladly do this, but fake ones will be less likely to. As well, if a brochure does arrive, you can use the info to check up on the charity.

Aloha,

Brad

when driving down to Ellicottville, an hour south of Buffalo, its not uncommon for various local volunteer fire departments along Route 219 to block the road with their fire engines and request/extort money from you as you drive by. the amusing part is that they are in full gear and literally hold out a big rubber boot for you to toss your "toll" into.