Jambands.ca

the 10 best grilled cheese

fluffhead77

A specialty grilled cheese cafe opened up in Ottawa a block from where I work a couple of years ago. I was excited. I imagined pretty much what you posted right there as fare that I should anticipate.

I was dismayed when I looked upon their menu to see Swiss Cheese with Red Onion, or Cheddar Cheese and Mushrooms. These did not seem like incredibly satisfying choices that would befit the term "Specialty Grilled Cheese".

I made my choice. Swiss with onion. I love onion and cheese. It goes great together. Then, as I watched the girl peel the plastic from the white process cheese slice, I nearly made it for the door! This place not only failed to come up with specialty cheese ideas, they were misrepresenting processed cheese as fucking CHEESE!

They lasted about 4 mths, likely on coffee alone, but there are butloads of coffee places downtown.

The Manx makes a delicious (if pricey, at $6.50) grilled cheese with cheddar and swiss, sauteed mushrooms and grilled onions. I think they use a flavoured butter when they grill it too...it's very satisfying.

I hate people that make their grilled cheese with multigrain bread. Wonder Bread was probably invented for grilled cheese sandwiches.

I hate people that make their grilled cheese with multigrain bread. Wonder Bread was probably invented for grilled cheese sandwiches.

Oh yeah. There's nothing wrong with experimentation but I find a grilled cheese's taste ratio to be inversely proportional to its fanciness. Nothing beats Velveeta on Wonder Bread.

Dave- sure you can make it at home, but what happens whne you get a hankerin' when you're out?

Ollie- there's a special place in my heart for the dirty, trailer style grilled cheese, but hand cut bread, with a carmelized shallots, soft, unripened buffalo mozzarella and fresh basil cooked in a panni press brushed with some melted herbed butter is fucking GOLD!

Ollie- there's a special place in my heart for the dirty, trailer style grilled cheese, but hand cut bread, with a carmelized shallots, soft, unripened buffalo mozzarella and fresh basil cooked in a panni press brushed with some melted herbed butter is fucking GOLD!

I wouldn't turn down one of those! ;)

Bouche your right my next trip should be Nero or evensooner to Ottawa But that will be the first place I check out I LOVE grilled cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHA Yea I was shit faced when I wrote that haha, I ended up trying to make a grilled cheese after that but ended up getting caught up in my favourite family guy episode and its burnt to a crisp took a long while to get that burnt smell out of the kitchen

11/22/07 09:15 PM - Post#489182

In response to bouche

Bouche your right my next trip should be Nero or evensooner to Ottawa But that will be the first place I check out I LOVE grilled cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9:15 on a thursday night, filling the kitchen with grilled cheese smoke. you can't make stuff like that up

[color:#cccccc]i've been banned from cooking appliances after catphish goes to bed