Jambands.ca

What's your favourite Zappa album?

celticwolfsun

There's soooo many good ones, but the irreverent and outrageous 60's albums for the most part, don't click with me. They may be a little too locked in 60's satire for my tastes.

Here's my Top 5:

1. Over-Nite Sensation/Apostrophe (tie)

2. You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. II

3. Roxy & Elsewhere

4. Hot Rats

5. Chunga's Revenge

I really need to hear the You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore series; I know volume 2 is particularly killer. I think it is also the only one that is one full show.

Indeed #2 is the only complete show. It contains Zappa's crazy impromptu version of Whipping Floss, a combo of Whipping Post and Montana. II also contains THE BEST version of Inca Roads - and Zappa's best guitar solo ever.

I really need to hear the You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore series; I know volume 2 is particularly killer. I think it is also the only one that is one full show.

Indeed #2 is the only complete show.

I'm not sure about that. I've heard' date=' and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Can%27t_Do_That_on_Stage_Anymore%2C_Vol._2

also says that

Despite the subtitle "The Helsinki Concert," the album is not one complete concert, but was, in fact, assembled from two (and possibly three) different concerts performed in Helsinki in 1974. The working title for this album was The Helsinki Tapes, a title more accurately reflecting the fact that the album was composed of performances from more than one show.
It contains Zappa's crazy impromptu version of Whipping Floss, a combo of Whipping Post and Montana.

Musically, I don't think they're combined at all, it's just that a crowd member yells out for "Whipping Post", there's a bit of back-and-forth banter about the band not knowing it, and whether the crowd member can hum it a bit, and then the band goes into "Montana," played more slowly than usual, but without any "Whipping Post" musical elements (though some improvised lyrics changes refer to whipping posts).

II also contains THE BEST version of Inca Roads - and Zappa's best guitar solo ever.

That's debatable, especially when it's compared to the stuff on "Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar"; the versions from "Inca Roads" on it ("Shut Up 'n Yer Guitar", "Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar Some More", "Return Of The Son Of Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar") outshine the YCDTOSAv2, in my opinion.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

best solo? pfft - check out 'Filthy Habits' on

'Eyes of Osaka' - the bootleg from Osaka, Japan 1976....half way through he lays his guitar signal through a sample and hold module on an Oberheim keyboard - jaw-dropping.

Is that the same effect as he uses on the "Ship Ahoy" track from "Shup Up 'n Play Yer Guitar Some More" (which was also recorded in Osaka in February, 1976)?

Aloha,

Brad

Since we seem to know a fair bit about Frank, especially you two clowns, what era do you think Frank was at his best guitar-wise? I think it was the early to mid 70's - he was fucking tight and his bands back then were killer. I know that Frank would quit playing guitar between records and tours only to practice like a madman before hitting the road, which altered his style from year to year.

There was a real flash around 1970 - soon as he parted ways with the Mothers...Hot Rats/Flo and Eddie era really brought out some cool guitar work. 74-76 were great years simply because his band was so kick ass and forced him to be on top of his game...then another flash around 78-79, the Halloween runs and a band full of weirdos(and the first 'stunt' guitarist, Adrian Belew) that he could play off