Jambands.ca

IIHF World Juniors thread

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

Great game by Bernier!!

The LA Kings are stacked for the future, with Johnson and Bernier under their wing, and most likely Stamkos in this year's draft...

Before the game against Sweden the other day, I was thinking of posting here and adding to my prediction, saying that nobody will score a goal against Canada. But I thought better of it, I didn't want to jinx anything. Turns out, just my thoughts jinxed it. So that loss was my fault. Oh well we'll have to see how it goes against Denmark today.

Brad Marchand has gone from my favourite player on this team to my least favourite, and back to hero today. The Turris-Giroux-Marchand line has shown an embarrassing lack of finish in this tourney. Should be a great game on Friday, the US team has looked really good thus far.

WRITE UP from TSN.com

A goal by Brad Marchand with under ten minutes to play put Canada ahead, and an empty-netter by Stefan Legein sealed a 4-2 quarterfinal victory over Finland at the world junior hockey championship.

After struggling to beat Finnish goaltender Harri Sateri most of the game, Canada rallied for three goals in the third period to pull out the victory.

Canada will face the United States in the semifinals Friday.

Later today, Russia plays the Czech Republic in the other quarterfinal (TSN and TSN.ca at 2pm et/11am pt). The winner of that game will get Sweden in the semifinals.

Related Info

* World Juniors Site

* LIVE SCOREBOARD

Canada trailed 1-0 in the second period until the kids - John Tavares and Steven Stamkos - stepped front and centre.

Tavares tied the score at 7:23 of the second period, beating Sateri with a high wrist shot from in close.

Tavares has four goals in the tournament, with three of them coming on the powerplay.

Stamkos scored early in the third period to put Canada in front for the first time in the game. He converted a feed from rushing defenceman Drew Doughty 2:20 into the third period for his first goal of the tournament.

Finland had opened the scoring with a goal by Juuso Puustinen. He fooled Steve Mason with a long wrist shot at 7:23 of the first period.

After Stamkos had given Canada the lead, the Finns tied the score again, with Jan-Mikael Juutilainen scoring from behind the Canadian net at 5:52. Juutilainen's centering attempt bounced in of the leg of Mason and into the Canadian net.

The bad break was evened out later in the third, though, when Marchand put Canada ahead after getting a timely deflection off a Finnish stick.

Legein sealed it with an empty-netter with 30 seconds left.

Canada has now beaten Finland six straight times at the world juniors.

Since the playoff format was introduced in 1996, Canada has only lost once in the quarterfinals, against Russia in 1998.