Jambands.ca

Nerdy Conundrum - Input Welcome

StoneMtn

Okay. I have a pass to park in our underground garage. We don't have specific spaces, but some people have passes allowing them to park on a monthly basis, while others just get a ticket in the morning and pay for the day.

Every day, I drive past a sign that says:

[color:red]MONTHLY PARKING ONLY BEYOND THIS POINT

Every day I think to myself, "Does that mean that only monthly-parkers can park beyond this point, or does it mean that monthly-parkers can park only beyond this point, and nowhere else?"

Clearly, punctuation is missing.

As it happens, since I am a monthly-parker, I just park beyond that point and don't worry about it, but it bugs me every morning.

Any thoughts on this very important issue?

(Can you tell I don't feel like working?)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think of it in terms of what the parking lot's owners want to prevent: since daily parkers are, in a sense, "second-class citizens" (if they wanted more secure parking, they'd pay for a monthly pass), I would assume the sign is to keep the riff-raff (i.e., the daily parkers) out, which'd mean that, beyond the sign, only monthly parkers are allowed. Presumably, monthly parkers could (if they wanted) park in an area not beyond the sign, i.e., have their cars mixed in with the daily parkers.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

I vote the above as the most useless post of 2008 so far' date=' it's neither helpful nor funny.

Why don't you ask the garage attendants about the rules?[/quote']

[color:purple]Thanks for coming out.

It makes more sense than asking a bunch of people that have likely never been in the garage nor know with any authority what the intentions of the sign are, ask the people that enforce the rules.

I take full responsibility for the useless threads I've posted. And I think StoneMtn deserves kudos for actually warning people in the thread title what they are in for when they open the thread..no confusion there..

Perhaps bokonon is just upset because she's having an issue figuring out how to turn "parking garage signage" into a thread about sex?

"No Day Parkers Beyond This Point"

is how I reads it.

agreed. this one is easy.

try reading street parking signs in hamilton.

No parking this side

Each month 1st to 15th

April to December

... i need a venn diagram to know where to park in this city ...

Voted Best Useage of the Phrase "Venn Diagram" in '08

Why is it so easy?

Doesn't the meaning completely change if you include the necessary punctuation?

MONTHLY PARKING, ONLY, BEYOND THIS POINT.

Instead of...

MONTHLY PARKING; ONLY BEYOND THIS POINT.

To me the first says that only monthly parkers can park there. The second says that monthly parkers are not allowed to park elsewhere.

Then again, I'm not too smart or adept at the use of language or grammar. (I'm also not helpful or funny, but what can you do?)

To me the first says that only monthly parkers can park there. The second says that monthly parkers are not allowed to park elsewhere.

The problem with the second interpretaion is that it would require monthly parkers who intended to park elsewhere to know, without having seen the sign, that they couldn't park elsewhere. This also leads me to conclude that it's much more reasonable to accept the first interpretation as the correct one.

Aloha,

Brad