Jambands.ca

Ottawa Bound

AWeeJig

Hello all,

My girlfriend and I are in the process of making a move to the fine city of Ottawa, Ontario.

Currently she is in the city for job interviews and browsing for apartments/houses for rent.

Anyways, the reason for this post is that I'm aware that many of you fine folks live within the city of Ottawa or the general vacinity. I would like to ask if any of you may have any advice or leads on apartments or houses in the east end or central Ottawa? Ideally, we would be looking for a 1 year lease on a 2-3bdrm apt/house with the price range being from $1000-$1200 per month. Inclusive would be best but likely more difficult to aquire. We do have a dog so pets being allowed would be a must. He's a gentle mid size mix breed with a penchant for pillows when nobody is around. We would be looking for fairly immediate occupancy and it looks as though we will be heading down this coming Sunday and staying in a motel for a week. See you all at Nero!

Any advice would not go unnoticed and would be very appreciated.

Thanx in Advance,

Brian

i know it's less than transparent, but I dont think you are under any obligation to tell a prospective landlord that you have a dog. they cannot refuse you a pet, and just telling them you have one before they make their decision to rent to you or not could limit your possibilities, especially if speed is a factor.

Pets are always allowed, no matter what the lease agreement says. That clause is illegal, and is therefore null and void, regardless if you sign it or not.

Only if your pet interferes with another tenant's enjoyment of the property can it be forbidden.

As far as housing goes, check here: http://ccochousing.org/ I rent through them and they are very reasonable, very well maintained, and the organization is very friendly.

Oh I thought you were referring to the Wings losing to the Sens the other night......

Ottawa is a hell of a lot better in every single aspect, except cost of living than Moncton (where I moved here from). Well if you want to do anything that is.....

We rent from Andrex Holdings who are always on site to respond to any problem right away (toilet exploding off the wall, broken windows, heater not hot)- but their properties are pricey. We pay $1400 w heat and underground parking included.

Sean

??? NR

Sandy Hill is near the university so buses are plentiful and frequent

I meant for having to move to Ottawa in general. I'm just teasing though. I haven't been there in a LONG time.

I would prefer ample notice before you come visit my friend. Need to make sure the gf is dosed up on some sort of tranquilizers if you and I are to get together. *winks*

??? NR

Sandy Hill is near the university so buses are plentiful and frequent

I meant for having to move to Ottawa in general. I'm just teasing though. I haven't been there in a LONG time.

I would prefer ample notice before you come visit my friend. Need to make sure the gf is dosed up on some sort of tranquilizers if you and I are to get together. *winks*

With the exception of Drive-By Truckers playing in Ottawa I don't think I would ever make it up to the great white north. I don't have snowshoes OR cross country skis. If the band does make it out that way though I'll bring the tranqs ;)

Edited by Guest

i know it's less than transparent, but I dont think you are under any obligation to tell a prospective landlord that you have a dog. they cannot refuse you a pet, and just telling them you have one before they make their decision to rent to you or not could limit your possibilities, especially if speed is a factor.

Does the same go for smoking? I find that most places that say no pets also say no smoking.

Brian, I've been looking for something similar to your specifications for the past couple of months. There are houses for rent at around $1200 but not super central located.

Keep your eye on these sites:

http://ottawa.craigslist.ca/apa/

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/f-housing-apartments-for-rent-W0QQCatIdZ37

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/f-housing-house-rental-W0QQCatIdZ43

http://www.mls.ca/map.aspx?AreaID=2862

AFAIK, there is nothing in the act that specifically addresses smoking.

However, the landlord is able to take action against smoking tenants on the grounds that it is damaging the property (much like if a pet is damaging the property) or interferes with others' enjoyment of the property.

Landlords cannot refuse to rent to you for this reason (legally).

Only if your pet interferes with another tenant's enjoyment of the property can it be forbidden.

Are you sure that "forbade" is being used in the proper tense here? Come on AD' date=' you can do better than that.[/quote']

oops.

Edited by Guest

Pets are always allowed, no matter what the lease agreement says. That clause is illegal, and is therefore null and void, regardless if you sign it or not.

They can still refuse to rent to you if you have a pet.

http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/Key_Information/STEL02_111463.html

Can the landlord refuse to rent to a person if they have a pet?

Yes, if a landlord has a “no pets†policy and they learn that a person applying to rent an apartment has a pet, the landlord may refuse to rent to that person.

Aloha,

Brad

The house next door to me is for rent for around $1000+utilities. It's two floors with a basement and is being renovated right now. If you've ever been to THAT PLACE then you're familiar with the neighborhood. Central, near the canal, downtown is walkable.

Plus you'd have an awesome neighbor.

pm me your phone number if you want the landlord to give you a shout.

Once you're in the unit with your pet, it's all good. Thanks for the clarification GoogleM BradM

The Residential Tenancies Act states that any clause in a lease that prohibits pets is void. This means that once a person becomes a tenant, if they have a pet even though the lease says pets are not allowed, the landlord cannot evict the tenant just for having the pet. However, the Landlord can apply to the Board to evict a tenant if the pet is causing a problem. See the question on “Can a landlord evict a tenant for having a pet?" in the How a Landlord Can Evict a Tenant section of the Frequently Asked Questions.

I am really ,really going to miss you Brian.One of my few local favorites, who let me glide between my daytime and nightime personalities without threshold sickness.

On the upside...now I have a new home in Ottawa!!(Michelle will still need to be tranquilized)

Move beside Velvet!!YES!!YES!!