Jambands.ca

Into The Wild= awsome flick

• 1 month later...

I liked the movie quite a bit - one of the best from last year for sure. It flowed well, but it really came into its own when Chris was by himself. One issue I had that was never made clear was why did all the people that Chris met on his travels worship the ground he walked on. Obviously to develop that in greater detail would have made for a very long movie, but I don't know if there was enough plot in some scenes, particularly with Hal Holbrook, to warrant an adoption. However, without bumping into Hal, Chris wouldn't have survived a week on his own. McCandless was a dreamer and I admire some of his qualities, but he was also niece and grossly ill-prepared for the wilderness. If it wasn't for Hal's fishing gear and knife, he wouldn't have survived anywhere near as long as he did.

Booche, it was my wife that had issues with Hirsch. She thought his acting was uneven, forced when he interacted with people, but fantastic when he was alone.

I didn't even finish watching it.

I thought it was way too long, the pacing was awful, the insight into what moved McCandless shallow (boohoo your parents had real world problems) instead of a personality incessantly, idealistically seeking truth.

Mc Candless story amazed me when I first heard it ...late teens some time..the restlessness(which I will agree is intrinsically selfish while not so much meaning the character is "selfish" in the way we commonly ascribe the term), travelling,meeting characters,trying to match an experience of the real world to the literature wisdom you had been brought up on at resonated at the time.

An older me found the movie character naive..not charmingly so..and selfish.

I reread the book right after to make sure he really didn't fuck the girl.I would have liked the movie character WAAAYYY more if he had just acted a little mopre flesh and blood and fucked the girl.

Emilie acted the part well..he draws the camera.

I still don't understand the ending. He ate the plants that poisoned him yet he could still get up and move around to find food. Why didnt he try to find an antedote? Everything in nature has an antedote and its usually found pretty close-by where the offending plant was. I guess he didnt get that far into his book.