Jambands.ca

The Who at the CNE way back in June 1989

Freak By Night

I had a great time at this show... as for SRV, he also toured with a guitar heroes tour around this time as well... Jeff Beck was on the bill too..

I managed to catch Jeff Beck opening for Santana back in (I'm guessing) '92, with Terry Bozzio on drums - a great set (even though I'm partial to his earlier material with the Jeff Beck Group rather than what he played that night).

I don't recall an opener for The Who that night either, but I'd put more weight on others' recollections than mine that night...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a great time at this show... as for SRV, he also toured with a guitar heroes tour around this time as well... Jeff Beck was on the bill too..

I saw the Jeff Healy, Jeff Beck (with Terry Bozzio and Tony Hymas; it was the "Guitar Shop" tour), Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble show at SkyDome in November, 1989. Healy was on first, then Beck, then Vaughan, and I think Beck came back out for Vaughan's encore of "Goin' Down."

Aloha,

Brad

I saw the Jeff Healy, Jeff Beck (with Terry Bozzio and Tony Hymas; it was the "Guitar Shop" tour), Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble show at SkyDome in November, 1989. Healy was on first, then Beck, then Vaughan, and I think Beck came back out for Vaughan's encore of "Goin' Down."

Aloha,

Brad

I wish I could have made that show...

02nov89 - The Skydome, Toronto, Ontario

Notes:

with Jeff Beck

Setlist:

The House Is Rockin

Tightrope

Look At Little Sister

Mary Had A Little Lamb

Texas Flood

Wall Of Denial

Superstition

Cold Shot

Couldn't Stand the Weather

Crossfire

Voodoo Chile

Riviera Paradise

Goin' Down

[color:red][edit to add]

I don't think this is from the skydome, but its from the same tour..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1f8cf-Dc4I

Edited by Guest

I remember this 2nd Who Toronto show quite well. The Townshend solo stuff was great as was the Tommy opera (I was 21 at the time). Roger didn't bother me. Entwistle was a great as always. Simon Phillips ruled - I like him better than Zak. Steve Boltan was alright on electric and Rabbit Bundrick added lots of depth to the keys. Pete finally slapping on his Strat was fucking incredible - we Who fans were all dismayed at the time because of Townshend's announced abandonment of playing his electric guitar due to tinnitus.

I was too pissed at them for touring years after their "farewell tour" to see them in 1989. Although, I did see them again in 2000 (?) at the molson amphitheatre doing Quadrophenia, and again in 2007 in Ottawa.

The 1982 show was one of those very rare experiences (for me) where I can't really remember the show. I remember Joe Jackson stopping his set early due to moron "rockers" throwing beer bottles at him. I was a big Joe Jackson fan and was quite pissed at that. (I would have put myself inthe "mod" category.) I remember the first Who song, and I remember going out for drinks at the Roxy after the show (they would serve us underage kids at the time), but nothing in between. And I had put so much of an effort into getting tix - camping out at the CNE. I remember that night quite well, actually. I also initially had tix for their Rich Stadium show as no Toronto show was announced on the initial set of dates of that tour. After buying the tix we realized the Rich show was on Yom Kippur so some of us couldn't go.

Tickets for the '82 MLG shows went on sale at Lamport Stadium (I think that was the name). I waited 28 hours for tickets and had the time of my life. I was #628 in line (the first thousand were given numbers).

The SkyDome show was awesome Alabama... both sets absolutely kicked ass...

Looking back, it almost seems like it would have been worth getting mediocre seats for the SRV/Beck show at Skydome and passing on the front row Stones tix I bought for the dec.89 Skydome show, which probally was the reason I passed on SRV..

I was at the CNE again in the summer of '89 for the Stones' Steel Wheels Tour. That was a great concert even though Bill Wyman was starting to look like an old woman. Living Color played a short muddy-sounding set that few seemed to enjoy, but I did. Vernon Reid is incredible. Ironically, Corey Glover is co-starring in the traveling theatrical revial of Jesus Christ Superstar currently playing Toronto. Guess who's Jesus? Ted Neeley of course.

The SkyDome show was awesome Alabama... both sets absolutely kicked ass...

Looking back' date=' it almost seems like it would have been worth getting mediocre seats for the SRV/Beck show at Skydome and passing on the front row Stones tix I bought for the dec.89 Skydome show, which probally was the reason I passed on SRV..

[/quote']

I was very lucky at this time as I worked at thye Dome and caught many a free concert... paid for one Steel Wheels show at the Exhibition and then the two at the Dome i watched for free... i was working on the floor th elast night when the lights went down and hung out front row for the first few songs...

Tickets for the '82 MLG shows went on sale at Lamport Stadium (I think that was the name). I waited 28 hours for tickets and had the time of my life. I was #628 in line (the first thousand were given numbers).

I bought my tickets for the 1982 Rich Stadium show at Lamport Stadium. Got there at like 5 in the morning. Since i saw them at the CNE in 1982 i didn't get tix for the MLG show(s). They were ona a thursday and friday night. Some friends went to the thursday night show and got tix for real cheap from scalpers. So, some friends and I tried that on the Friday night, but to no avail. We ended up going to someone's house and watching the show on TV. This was supposed to be THE final Who show.

I was at the CNE again in the summer of '89 for the Stones' Steel Wheels Tour. That was a great concert even though Bill Wyman was starting to look like an old woman. Living Color played a short muddy-sounding set that few seemed to enjoy, but I did. Vernon Reid is incredible. Ironically, Corey Glover is co-starring in the traveling theatrical revial of Jesus Christ Superstar currently playing Toronto. Guess who's Jesus? Ted Neeley of course.

Living Color opened for those Stones show, for the CNE I horrible seats, but I was lucky enough to be second in line for bracelets when the Skydome show was announced on Q107. I was working across the street from the Bay Department store in Limeridge Mall, who had a ticketmaster outlet that seemed to go pretty much unoticed for a couple years. The show got announced and I put down my tin snips (I was a siding installer at the time) and headed straight for the outlet.

It was a great spot to buy tickets in those days around here.

my first real concert ever was the who playing quadraphenia.

it was in 1999 if i remember correctly. at molson ampitheatre.

gary glitter was a flamer.

the ox was amazing.

wont get fooled again was acoustic and crappy.

behind blue eyes was worth the price of admission alone.

i took the further stills bus and had two smoking hot girls sit behind us, feed us beer, and make the show great....(they received tix from their father who couldn't make the show).

none of this has any relevance to the topic at hand.

I caught the Quadrophenia tour in Buffalo that year. The upper bowl at the arena was more than half empty!!! Had a great time at that show. We spent a good chunk of it at the very top of the upper bowl furthest away from the stage (acoustically it's a SWEET spot as there is no sound bouncing off the back wall when you are at it ).

Did anyone here go to this show in Toronto? They played two nights at the CNE, I went the second night on Sat. June 24th.

Having an argument with a co-worker about the opening band, he says there was no opener, I disagree and I remember the opener being a particular legend.

Our googling for info about the opener was fruitless. I still have my ticket stub from the show, but it just says "Q107 presents The Who".

Does anyone here remember? (I won't say who I think the opener was so as to not distort anyone's memory.)

who the hell are you arguing with about that? Mahmoud?

2nd Who CNE set and lineup info:

Setlist

Overture, 1921, Amazing Journey, Sparks, The Acid Queen, Pinball Wizard, Do You Think It's Alright, Fiddle About, I'm Free, Tommy's Holiday Camp, We're Not Gonna Take It, A Friend Is A Friend, A Little Is Enough, I'm A Man, I Can't Explain, Substitute, I Can See For Miles, Trick Of The Light, Boris The Spider, Who Are You, Magic Bus, Mary Anne With The Shaky Hands, Baba O'Riley, My Generation, Let My Love Open The Door, 5.15, Love Reign O'er Me, Love Hurts, Too Late The Hero, My Wife, Sister Disco, Rough Boys, Join Together, You Better You Bet, Behind Blue Eyes, Won't Get Fooled Again, Hey Joe, Pictures Of Lily, Twist And Shout

Lineup

Roger Daltrey Harmonica, Guitar, Vocals

John Entwistle Bass, Vocals

Pete Townshend Vocals, Guitar

Steve 'Boltz' Bolton Guitar

John Bundrick Piano, Keyboards

Chyna Backing Vocal

Simon Clarke Brass Section

Simon Gardner Brass Section

Jody Linscott Percussion

Roddy Lorimer Brass Section

Billy Nicholls Backing Vocal

Simon Philips Drums

Tim Saunders Brass Section

Neil Sidwell Brass Section

Cleveland Watkiss Backing Vocal

The 1982 show was one of those very rare experiences (for me) where I can't really remember the show. I remember Joe Jackson stopping his set early due to moron "rockers" throwing beer bottles at him. I was a big Joe Jackson fan and was quite pissed at that. (I would have put myself inthe "mod" category.)

I had the clipping from the Toronto Star for this show up on my bulleting board for a few years. I thought I remember it saying that poor ole Joe Jackson got hit with a fully dressed Hot Dog while he was sitting at his piano. F*ck I wish I had been there. Like BWM I likened myself to be smoehwat of a Mod. My sister saw the show in Buffalo that year with the Clash opening up. What a night that would have been.

I too like many others remember that night watching the Final Show from the Gardens on TV, Global I think, and it was simulcast on Q107.

"Right and wronnnnnnng... Who the fuck threw that hotdog?!"

The Who crowds were notorious for not liking the opening acts. The Clash got booed on the '82 tour. THE CLASH GOT BOOED. They were a better and more relevant band than The Who in 1982.

I believe one or two songs on this killer live compilation was from the Clash/Who '82 tour:

FromHeretoEternityLivealbumcover.jpg

ive seen the film. it's one variation on the theme (and arguably, a stereotypical and commercial one).

i asked how y'all define it.

Mod is one of the more pointless and shallow youth movements, but man, it had some good bands and interesting pop culture fashion. I believe the film nailed it.