Jambands.ca

Canada and the U.S. have signed an agreement

briguy

Canada and the U.S. have signed an agreement that paves the way for the militaries from either nation to send troops across each other's borders during an emergency, but some are questioning why the Harper government has kept silent on the deal.

Neither the Canadian government nor the Canadian Forces announced the new agreement, which was signed Feb. 14 in Texas.

nationalpost.com

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not only the content of this type of agreement that concerns me it's also the process.

"Canada Command spokesman Commander David Scanlon said ... the agreement is 'benign'."

If it is so benign and actually does serve the public good why wouldn't it have been announced through official channels? I can understand why this may not be as media-friendly as the most recent celebrity scandal or what have you, but the Post article, dated eight days after the agreement was signed, implied that there was no press release or any form of official notification. Just seems too much like a backroom deal to be in the best interest of citizens.

I did however enjoy this line:

"The new agreement has been greeted with suspicion by the left wing in Canada and the right wing in the U.S."

I've never felt so connected to my gun-toting, god-fearing, gay-hating neighbours to the south.

I think this is a pretty good thing. I'd like to be able to think we could send our troops easily down to a Hurricane Katrina situation, or those wildfires that took out half of Southern California situation. Nothing to be ashamed of there!

It's not the "us there" that worries me so much as the "them here."

When two sanctions combine their effort on a massive scale like this, they streamline their skills to make things more efficient. One side always adapts to the others way of doing things....lets hope things at the border don't change too much.

MarcO for Prime Minister!

Lots of food for thought thomson.

I find that if I change a few words in the news story, it becomes much more enjoyable to read:

Canada and the U.S. have signed an agreement that paves the way for bands from either nation to send fans across each other's borders during a festival ...

Peace, Mark

• 3 weeks later...

A good example of how this will help/hinder us is the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver. There will be U.S. troops on our soil, telling our citizens what to do. Now you may say it's for everyone's protection, but i say if we have the wherewithal to host a world event, we also have the ability to police said event. I have one big giant FUCK YOU to any US Military person instructing me in my own country.

this is absolutely ridiculous. crazy crazy ridiculous.

as for thinking this is a good thing ie. to help with events like Katrina. Come on now. This feels more like carte blanche. I mean how hard would it REALLY be for the PM to phone up the Prez and say, hey i want to help out a bit, i'm going to send some peeps over, Cool?

will they open the borders to U.S or Canadian civilians during an emergency? And on a global scale, why not open our borders to civilians from outside north america, for emergencies, ie. genocide, ie. Darfur.

this is screwed up. the u.s has wedged the door open a crack, and probably within our lifetime the flood will come.

..and while i'm at it. i'm sure this call came about to 'secure' oil for the u.s. thank you government of alberta. how about a pipline east, so Canada can have a secure energy source, and not buy from the middle east? the tar sands are why we refrain from passing any laws on global warming, cause they are an environmental disaster. i'm going to stop now, (with lots more to say) as my blood pressure is starting to rise. as always $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

talks.

Well this topic has been brought to new light for me after having watched "Zeitgeist" last night. Anybody else seen it??

Yes a few times. I also recommend END GAME

It is a doc about the Bilderberg Group and the coming plans for the New World Order

Just watched ENDGAME. Wholly schit. We are in serious trouble. Things are much worse than I could ever have imagined.