Jambands.ca

Pork Marinades

Ol'Hickster

tenderloin or chops?

If it's chops, just brine them

2 1 inch pork chops

3 tbsp salt

3 tbsp brown sugar

4 cups water (make sure to dissolve the sugars/salts in a cup of hot water first then add the rest as cold as possible. Ice cubes are a good way to accellorate the cooling process)

any savory items (cloves, bay leave, cinnamon bark, cardamon, farts)

Get a pan really hot (or super grill bbq thingy) and sear on each side for 2-3 minutes each. Remove from heat. Cover with aluminum foil to insulate and finish cooking.

I hope that helps. This is the only way to eat pork chops.

If you like it a little more flavourful. I'd go with a Tunisian Harissa rub. No matter what cut of pork you want to use this on. Rub the paste on a few hours before hand to let it marinade and then its game on. You can grill the pork, roast it, braise it (I reccomend doing it in beer), smoke it. You can even cook it in a dry cast iron pan if you have a good kitchen exhaust fan because you will choke. I love the warm African flavours the most at this time of year because them warm you from the inside out.

Harissa

soak 3 1/2 TBSP of dried chili flakes in 3 1/2 TBSP of warm water

2 cloves of fresh garlic

2 TBSP of Sweet Paprika

2 tsp of Caraway seeds

2 tsp of Corriander Seed or 1/3 of a bunch of fresh Cilantro >>leaves only<<. finely chopped

2 tsp of cumin seed

1 tsp sea salt

6-8 mints leaves finely chopped.

Mash all the ingrediants together in a mortar and pestle until you have a nice paste.

If you leave out the paprika and cumin you have another rub called Tabil which is also awesome for roasting a porkloin or grilling any cut.

The next closest one to this I know includes 2 tsp Cardamon and 4-5 whole Cloves' or 1/2 tsp of ground cloves and is called Zhug.

Personally I like to use these rubs and then use the higher rack on the BBQ and close the lid to get the smoke going. If you know how to smoke** it properly Id reccomend that the most and the paste will keep the meat so tender it is unreal!

[color:blue]For the people who like the flavours of the spices going on here and don't like the heat, try making a cucumber and yogurt dip or Tziki sauce.

** turning your BBQ into a smoker needs its own thread altogether but not at 3 am.

Edited by Guest

i prefer the bacon grease marinade

recipe- satuday night, after a bunch of beers and gas bong hits splash some water on your face, stumble over to th fridge and grab that package of bacon you were saving for breakfast, slice it open with the sharpest utensil at your disposal, apply pressure to any wounds that might result, fry that shit up til it's crispy like potato chips, throw it all in a bowl and smash it up with you fist. eat.

next day place the pork in a glass or ceramic dish, and blend the leftover bacon drippings with an onion, soy sauce, brown sugar, fresh ginger root, garlic and tomato puree in a food processor or blender. Cover the pork with the marinade and refrigerate for 3-6 hours.

The thing I like about that recipe is that it isn't just a set of directions for preparing food that'll taste good; instead, it has the added value of telling you what to do to actually enjoy the process of preparing the recipe. Outside of showing people how to vent their aggressions when tenderizing meat, most recipes don't contain that kind of thing.

:thumbup:

Aloha,

Brad

If you like it a little more flavourful. I'd go with a Tunisian Harissa rub. No matter what cut of pork you want to use this on. Rub the paste on a few hours before hand to let it marinade and then its game on. You can grill the pork, roast it, braise it (I reccomend doing it in beer), smoke it. You can even cook it in a dry cast iron pan if you have a good kitchen exhaust fan because you will choke. I love the warm African flavours the most at this time of year because them warm you from the inside out.

Harissa

soak 3 1/2 TBSP of dried chili flakes in 3 1/2 TBSP of warm water

2 cloves of fresh garlic

2 TBSP of Sweet Paprika

2 tsp of Caraway seeds

2 tsp of Corriander Seed or 1/3 of a bunch of fresh Cilantro >>leaves only<<. finely chopped

2 tsp of cumin seed

1 tsp sea salt

6-8 mints leaves finely chopped.

Mash all the ingrediants together in a mortar and pestle until you have a nice paste.

If you leave out the paprika and cumin you have another rub called Tabil which is also awesome for roasting a porkloin or grilling any cut.

The next closest one to this I know includes 2 tsp Cardamon and 4-5 whole Cloves' or 1/2 tsp of ground cloves and is called Zhug.

Personally I like to use these rubs and then use the higher rack on the BBQ and close the lid to get the smoke going. If you know how to smoke** it properly Id reccomend that the most and the paste will keep the meat so tender it is unreal!

[color:blue]For the people who like the flavours of the spices going on here and don't like the heat, try making a cucumber and yogurt dip or Tziki sauce.

** turning your BBQ into a smoker needs its own thread altogether but not at 3 am.

I'd like to hear your theories on making your 'Que into a smoker good sir, I have one, but you're a much better candidate for giving explicit and SAFE instructions than I am :)

On the subject of pork...

I was talking to my boss the other day about shopping and she was telling me that she buys all her dairy and pork organic from a market in Toronto (she lives half time in Toronto)

She said that the meat that everyone should be buying organic is pork...I guess she worked on a case that involved a pig farm and fertilizers and found out that farmers give pigs a hormone (it could be an antibiotic...I can't remember) that is so toxic to humans that it is law that they stop administering this drug at least 3 months prior to slaughter and human consumption. She said that most farmers don't go by the rules. Pigs are injected with more hormones and antibiotics then almost any other animal.

Just thought that I would pass this along.