Jambands.ca

Jack Johnson - August 3rd - near Barrie

Basher

... for green-thinking people like me.

what makes you green-thinking, jaimoe. :) im genuinely curious. have you signed on to bullfrog (although, for the life of me, I still have no idea how they get frogs to stay on those little spinning treadmills)? do you drive an electric car? replaced all lightbulbs with flourescent (or, is that even "green")? only wash in cold water? eschewed styro containers and always carry your own coffee mug? etc.

i dont intend this as a critique of you personally, im just curious about the common mindset that you are implying here that unless something is 110% green, it's simply not good enough.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have an air-conditioner and I've lived on the 23 floor of an apartment building for 5 hellish years.

Hey phishtaper, I'm green-thinking because I'm trying my best to go as green as possible. It's been a slow process, but the payoff is worthwhile. To answer you questions: no I don't drive an electric car since they don't make them anymore (although I think they are going to make a comeback), I do drive my Mazda 3 on occassion, but I'm thinking about getting rid of it and just using my bike and transit to permanently get around. If I buy anything, it will be a scooter. I've replaced all my burnt-out lightbulbs with energy-saver ones - no use throwing-out existing bulbs that are still working. I wash almost all my clothes in cold water, but I still use hot water for dishes - but I use All Natural products for both. Yes, I have use a green coffee carrying mug that I bought at the organic store Grass Roots. I wish I could be more green, but I'm sure my Environmental/Urban Studies wife will take care of that.

Still, I generally like what the organizers for the Jack Johnson show are trying to do.

i dont intend this as a critique of you personally, im just curious about the common mindset that you are implying here that unless something is 110% green, it's simply not good enough.

It does feel like being "green" is some big competition at times, with every person upping the ante of credibility/authenticity.

To an extent I agree...I think that while trying to change our small habits we have to consider making bigger commitments.

At the same time alot of the bigger green decisions are only EASILY viable if you have some loot.

On another note...

Another Ontario event.....seems like Mr.Thurston Moore will be making an appearance this year.

http://www.electric-eclectics.com/

sorry. what music/camping festivals have I forgotten about?

Here's some off the top of my head.

Mariposa Folk Festival

Lose Your Shoes

Canterbury Folk Festival

Hillside Festival

Tottenham Bluegrass Festival

Folk & bluegrass festivals are huge in Ontario' date=' too many to list or remember.

And if you step away from the whole jamband/folk/bluegrass scene, the list would be even larger..[/quote']

indeed, I forgot about those. I guess seeing everyone posting about Langerado, Coachella, Bonnaroo,10KLF, etc, I forgot about these other ones that I have seen nothing yet.

sorry. what music/camping festivals have I forgotten about?

Here's some off the top of my head.

Mariposa Folk Festival

Lose Your Shoes

Canterbury Folk Festival

Hillside Festival

Tottenham Bluegrass Festival

Folk & bluegrass festivals are huge in Ontario' date=' too many to list or remember.

And if you step away from the whole jamband/folk/bluegrass scene, the list would be even larger..[/quote']

indeed, I forgot about those. I guess seeing everyone posting about Langerado, Coachella, Bonnaroo,10KLF, etc, I forgot about these other ones that I have seen nothing yet.

Well...Mariposa you can't camp at.

Lose Yer Shoes is pretty far from either big name headliners(whether you like them or not) or ANY green initiatives.Same goes with CTMF.

Folk and Bluegrass formats aren't as appealling to a mass audience.

Hillside is a completley different level.

So...saying there isn't anything else to do in Ontario is kind of silly..BUT saying that there are comparable events is also silly.

I win. ;)

Folk and Bluegrass formats aren't as appealling to a mass audience.

Matter of opinion.

So...saying there isn't anything else to do in Ontario is kind of silly..BUT saying that there are comparable events is also silly.

I win.

As for you winning, I guess you do since I wasn't competing, just offering examples other camping/music events, since Mike asked and there were no comparisons made to this three act concert.

And as for mariposa, there is ample camping with minutes of the festival.