Jambands.ca

fawk! when will it ever end?!?!

phishtaper

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm the only one who finds it reassuring that we are actually having something resembling a "Real Winter" here in Southern Ontario. It feels right and good.

who says that this is "Real Winter"? I mean, there are no hard and fast rules here. Basically, if things have to hibernate and die because of the harsh environment of cold and snow accumulation, I think that's more likely a bad thing.

If we didn't have a thaw, not much would live. However, if we had nice weather year round, everything would live just great and happy too.

twice this winter. last night was the second.

no injuries, except to my car. kinda regretting not getting snow tires.

Sorry to hear that. Seriously, winter tires are one of the best investments/insurance for your car if you drive at all in the winter. At least, they give your summer tires more life by giving them a break during the winter.

I seriously think that insurance companies should give a bit of a break to those of us who invest in approved winter tires (just like you get a break on home insurance for having an alarm system, etc.)

I guess the Swedish make it a law that you have to have snow tires in the winter. I think they're more of a gas guzzler than anything else. But then again, I live in southwestern ontario on the other side of London where the majority of bad weather comes by way of rain, not snow. Except this particular winter, but it's not as bad as London on east.

Winter tires are good, but I never use them...they are called all-season tires for a reason...good for all seasons...if you can't drive with them in all seasons, maybe you should reconsider driving.

But if they gov't decides to make it the law, prices better drop.

Also...this has been the second snowiest winter on record for Ottawa, so I can't see how you can say this is a "normal" Canadian winter.

Can you tell, I've had it?

Winter tires are good, but I never use them...they are called all-season tires for a reason...good for all seasons...if you can't drive with them in all seasons, maybe you should reconsider driving.

No such thing as all-season tires. Winter/snow tires are made of special rubber compounds designed perform in colder conditions and provide better traction on snow AND ice. Improvement can be as much as 25-50%

If it's simply not wanting to invest the money in an extra set of tires, all I have to do to reassure myself is look in the back seat at my kids. There have been a few occasions where we would have made contact with other vehicles or solid structures had it not been for proper tires.

Cars can be fixed or replaced. Your health can't.

Winter tires are good' date=' but I never use them...they are called all-season tires for a reason...good for all seasons...if you can't drive with them in all seasons, maybe you should reconsider driving.[/quote']

No such thing as all-season tires. Winter/snow tires are made of special rubber compounds designed perform in colder conditions and provide better traction on snow AND ice. Improvement can be as much as 25-50%

If it's simply not wanting to invest the money in an extra set of tires, all I have to do to reassure myself is look in the back seat at my kids. There have been a few occasions where we would have made contact with other vehicles or solid structures had it not been for proper tires.

Cars can be fixed or replaced. Your health can't.

Again...as I said...if you can't drive on All-Seasons (call them summer tires if you want,)...you shouldn't be driving. In all my years of driving, I've never had a single problem. Why, because I know how to drive.

In all my years of driving, I've never had a single problem. Why, because I know how to drive.

yes, and the guy wizzing by me on a snow covered highway during a white-out, 30 kph over the limit also "knows how to drive".

rubber, your suggestion that perceived skill trumps equipment during hazardous weather is just silly.

skill definitely trumps equipment. one of my accidents was caused by avoiding an out of control driver sliding into my lane. i was going under the limit, in my lane, and had to drive off the side of the road to avoid a collision. so i hit a curb instead of a moving vehicle. [color:purple]so irresponsible of me

and he had snows on.

it's anecdotal, but blanket statements are just as bad.

too often people drive like idiots because they have 4wd, or snows, or awesome headlights, or wipers, or traction control. when it comes down to it, it's the driver that controls all that.