Jambands.ca

Harold and Kumar 2!

Basher

I was totally shocked at how much I enjoyed Harold and Kumar go to White Castle.

This, from CNN. If the bolded part doesn't make you spit something out, you read it wrong.

Harold and Kumar face 'highest stakes of all time'

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- "Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle" didn't exactly do gangbusters at the box office when it opened in July 2004. The comedy about stoner pals with major munchies searching for tiny hamburgers in the middle of the night made about $5.5 million its first weekend on the way to an $18.2 million gross domestically.

But the film's writers, Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg, always had faith that it would find a following eventually through DVD rentals and cable-TV viewings. And now, their faith has been rewarded.

The sequel "Harold & Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay" premiered at the South by Southwest film festival recently to a raucous, packed house. (The movie, which also marks Hurwitz and Schlossberg's directing debut, opens in theaters April 25.)

This time, Harold (John Cho) and Kumar (Kal Penn) are suspected of being terrorists after Kumar sneaks a high-tech bong onto a flight to Amsterdam, which everyone onboard thinks is a bomb. The two get sent to Gitmo but manage to break free, ending up in Miami and Texas and -- of course -- running into Neil Patrick Harris playing a mushroom-eating, hooker-loving, unicorn-riding version of himself.

dude....

I woke up one sunday or saturday after only a few hours sleep and a helluva hangover. Yet it was one of those mornings where the headache just wouldn't let me go back to sleep. So I decided to grab some Advil and go to the couch and hope to doze to some TV.

I flipped through the channels and nothing was on, but I stopped on TMN where a movie was starting. It was Harold and Kumar go to White Castle. I figured I'd watch about 10 minutes and fall asleep.

Before I knew it, I was laughing my ass off and my headache was gone. I was tired, but I couldnt' shut it off. I just kept watching it. Fuck, a movie that stupid would normally make me want to leave the room, but there was something about the humour here that kept me ready for more.

I can't wait for the next movie, but I'm also afraid of the "sequel" effect. I kinda have a feeling that they'll do it right and keep it simple.

btw..here's the trailer

• 4 months later...

has anyone seen this other than ms.hux and I?

I thought it was pretty damn funny. I had many laughs. I'm not sure which one got laughing more, number 1 or number 2 (is that a pun? you know they use that kind of humour). I think the shock factor of number one might influence things.

They do play up their own personal comic cliches though. I can't spoil anything, but if you loved the first, you'll love the second.

I just realized that we watched the unrated version. Does anyone know what the difference was? Maybe that 3some weed scene was one, or at least part of it?

that was a fucking funny fucking scene. (see how I used fucking in 2 different ways?) it reminded me of Team America's puppet sex scene.

I just happened to rent the first one last night - still have to watch it. I was listening to an interview with Neil Patrick Harris earlier this week (on NPR) which is what got me interested in it. They couldn't play a clip as they said non of it would be appropriate for the radio! (He also said that he doesn't think that he would have got the role of Barney on How I met Your Mother, if it wasn't for this role.)