Jambands.ca

Robert Plant/Alison Krauss @ Molson Amph Jul 14th

Kanada Kev

18598a.jpg

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/10004083D0807054?artistid=735867&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss

Molson Amphitheatre , Toronto, ON

Mon, Jul 14, 2008 07:30 PM

CA $39.50 - CA $99.50

Internet Onsale Info

Onsale to General Public:

Fri, 04/18/08 10:00 AM EDT

Get a Text Message Reminder Get a Text Message Reminder

Hot Seat Package:

Start:Fri, 04/18/08 10:00 AM EDT

End:Mon, 06/09/08 10:00 PM EDT

Internet Presale Info

Artist Presale:

Start:Mon, 04/07/08 10:00 AM EDT

End:Wed, 04/09/08 10:00 PM EDT

Front of the Line:

Start:Tue, 04/15/08 10:00 AM EDT

End:Thu, 04/17/08 05:00 PM EDT

Globe and Mail:

Start:Wed, 04/16/08 10:00 AM EDT

End:Thu, 04/17/08 05:00 PM EDT

RAIN OR SHINE/R126007780

ROBERT PLANT

AND

ALISON KRAUSS

THE MOLSON AMPHITHEATRE

MON JUL 14 2008 7:30PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm personally very much looking forward to this show. I love the album, and can't wait to see them live. Grabbed a pair last friday.

Also, a question to anyone with kids. As I'm new to the whole concert going experience with a child in tow, what are the rules with respect to bringing them along? I'm assuming there is no charge? Has anyone ever gotten hassled for bringing their children? Can anyone recommend some good ear plugs/muffs, etc?

Can anyone recommend some good ear plugs/muffs, etc?

I know young ears are super-sensitive, but I highly doubt this will be a loud show. I've seen Krauss twice and her sound is far from The Who circa 1976 Guinness Book of Records.

Edited by Guest

A few tips. Check with the venue regarding strollers (pretty sure the Molson Amph is cranky about this). Also, i've found, if you can carry your kid in, they aren't picky about tix. Also, get a bunch of glowsticks and attach 'em to your kid. Even if they aren't mobile, it lets the other folks see them. Don't let them sleep on the ground if it's getting crowded, people DO NOT LOOK where they are stepping when going through a GA crowd.

Most importantly have fun. Enjoying a great concert with your kids is AMAZING!

people DO NOT LOOK where they are stepping when going through a GA crowd.

Here's another tip - don't freak out on somebody who steps on your child or bumps into your stroller while walking through a GA crowd in the dark.

Good advice about the glow sticks Kev. Had those people at Vegoose done that with their toddler, it would have prevented an arugment and accusations of bad parenting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Very much looking forward to this show tonight!!

Anyone else going?

For those who have already been to the amp this summer, the ticket says 7:30. Do you think they'll actually start at that time? (seems early)... There's no opener (as far as I know)

I'll keep my eyes peeled for any skank contingent.

Sounds like it was a well received show. I am kinda surprised that it was a sellout actually. Guess a lot of Zep/Plant fans may not have known that it wasn't going to be a full on Plant gig :)

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/Music/article/460351

1b0b59a34207af7219c03154607b.jpg

TheStar.com | Music | Krauss, Plant address two musical nations

Krauss, Plant address two musical nations

But evening really belonged to T-Bone Burnett and the band

Jul 15, 2008 04:30 AM

Greg Quill

Entertainment Columnist

Two musical nations with little common ground – the diehard country-bluegrass crew to whom American singer and fiddler Alison Krauss is a golden-haired goddess, and veteran classic rockers and hard blues dudes who idolize Robert Plant – came together last night at the sold-out Molson Amphitheatre for a mutually rewarding crossover ritual that seemed to take many by surprise.

"Who's Alison Krauss?" one young man sporting his prize Led Zeppelin T-shirt asked a perfect stranger as he headed for his seat. In another aisle, a couple in cowboy hats, jeans and Cuban heel boots were pondering aloud whether Krauss had sold out by teaming up with Plant for the year's unlikeliest hit album, the platinum-selling rockabilly-bluegrass-jump-gospel hybrid Raising Sand, and subsequent tour, which has broken all box office expectations and has been extended from its original July 31 finale through October.

There's no doubt that teaming up was a phenomenally clever cross-marketing ploy. For that credit goes to legendary American roots music producer, guitarist and songwriter T-Bone Burnett (O, Brother, Where Art Thou?, Down From The Mountain), who came up with the idea and the material for the album. For the tour, he put together a killer band that includes Nashville's hottest and hippest musicians, Buddy Miller on guitar and pedal steel, Stuart Duncan on fiddle, mandolin, banjo and guitar: onstage it seems perfectly natural, unique and well crafted synthesis of the obsessions of all three principals.

Make no mistake. Plant and Krauss drew the fans and gave both nations enough to keep them happy (Plant contributed a loopy, bluesy versions of Zep's "Black Dog" and "Battle Of Evermore" and his own solo hit "In The Mood"; Krauss served up righteous readings of "Down To The River To Pray," "Matty Groves" and Gene Clark's murder waltz "Through The Morning, Through The Night"). But the real stars of last night's show were Burnett – dressed in a high collar, vest and mourning coat, he commanded the proceedings with the aplomb and firm hand of a vintage master showman – and the band.

The fusion of Celtic/Appalachian folk, Mississippi and Texas blues, pure country gospel, Creole rhythms and primordial rock 'n' roll is the product of Burnett's lively imagination, the manifestation of his encyclopedic knowledge of and familiarity with American music idioms. In Plant's fascination with the blues and other American folk forms and Krauss's almost religious musical purism, Burnett found his catalysts. And while it's not so hard to make magic in the studio, with the likes of guitar wizard Marc Ribot and folk instrumentalist Mike Seeger, it takes a special talent to make it work live.

With Miller, Duncan, drummer Jay Bellerose and bassist Dennis Crouch, Burnett has an ensemble that matches his musical wisdom and intuitiveness, a band capable of playing this odd brand of acoustic-electric folk-rock with symphonic grace and punk muscle. As finely melded and elegantly harmonized as Plant's and Krauss's voices were on their various joint efforts – most notably "Gone Gone Gone" near the show's end and the opener, "Rich Woman" – the stage last night belonged to Burnett and his amazing band.

Edited by Guest

Well the show did not dissapoint last night. I went in hoping for many goosebump moments, and I many.

We ended up opting for leaving the boy with grandma, and that was definitely the best option as it was a surprisingly loud show (that and it would have been a shame to have to watch him throw phishtaper around). Even with ear protection I don't think I would have been comfortable with him being there. Give it another year or two atleast I figure... (plus mom gets a break too that way..)

Many highlights throughout the evening. Their take on Blackdog was very cool. Down to the River to Pray was beautiful, and Battle of Evermore was incredible. But one of the most touching moments for me was at the end when they sang Long Journey. What an absolutely beautiful, tug-on the heartstrings. I was moved to tears.

Thanks to all who surrounded me with their good company. Ended up with a nice self-organized crew throughout the show.