Jambands.ca

$#@!ing used book stores.

dancingbear

i remember the last time i moved and had to sell most of my books. i got offered $15 credit or 7.50 cash, for about four boxes of books.

today, i got $18.20 for about eighty really good books ( i dont know how much i paid but i would estimate at around a thousand dollars) including one hardcover that they were selling right beside the cash for $36! they told me they go by date published, not the author or popularity. that makes no sense to me whatsoever.

i gave some away to friends, which i rather do than get 18 bucks, but no one really seeems to want eighty new books at once....

anyhow sorry for the rant.

Edited by Guest

you can donate them to school boards as well (at least my old school board). i donated all my old books to my old high school, and three weeks later received a very fat charitable receipt which definitely helped with my taxes. (the receipt part was totally unexpected, but definitely welcome).

I tried to sell some of my old university text books once, we're talking like $2000 worth of books. and they offered me 10 dollars. I almost punched the guy. then I got angry at him for even offering me money when he could have just said sorry.

I'll take 80 books. free. hell I'll give you $20 for the box!.

On the flip side, when it comes to getting books I LOVE used book stores. Chatham has the greatest i may have ever been to. "Book Brothers"... very neatly organized into categories, cheap books that they'll buy back for the same price after you read them, and super friendly owners who offer you free tea and coffee whenever you walk in the door. I love that place.

Just outside of Waterford there is a used book shop that donates all the profits to third world countries in need of books/computers/school supplies.

Bernie is the guys name. I think he was the librarian at Port Dover Composite School once upon a time...

I would have sold them all on ebay. it's a little time consuming. you might even discover a few sought after items that might surprise you in those books.

they can go for a lot on ebay. ive heard stories of students grabbing the "free books - please take" from outside offices and selling them on ebay.