Jambands.ca

QOTD: First Concerts

djmelbatoast

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Myrna does win.

I skipped my grade 8 grad to see The Hip in Brockville. My mom said I would always regret that decision' date=' but she was wrong.[/quote']

Man I skipped my high school graduation to see Skynyrd (with Deep Purple and Ted Nugent). I took a lot of shit for it but I don't regret it in the slightest. Fuckin Skynyrd man! Even if they were a half-original abomination.

What year was that? Original guitarist Ed King left the band due to illness in 1996. Guitarist Allen Collins - their most important member outside of Ronnie Van Zandt - died in 1990. Bassist Leon Wilkeson died in 2001. I'm not exactly sure when Artimus Pyle left the band. I believe at best you saw three original memebers. Only two core members exist now in Skynyrd: Gary Rossington and Billy Powell. Lynyrd Skynyrd remain one of the best "non-official" tribute bands, although it feels wrong calling them Lynyrd Skynyrd.

It would have been 2001...Leon Wilkeson died just a couple months after the show I saw, on the same tour. I didn't even think that Artimus Pyle was ever a part of the reformed Skynyrd but Allmusic tells me he did one record with them and left in 91. But yeah, I use the term 'half-original' very loosely, I'm pretty sure I was aware at the time that I was only seeing three O.G.'s and a crew of hired guns. It was still a sweet show though.

There was no FIRST concert for me, but rather festivals as a kid. I was luck and my Mom took me to Mariposa every summer for a number of years in the mid-70s. Was exposed to tons of music at those and got the killer hippie festy vibe instilled at a young age. Take a look at some footage here (i may even be in there somewhere ):

http://www.efootage.com/masters/B-2355/50s-Dance,-70s-Hippies

First "big" concert with family: Billy Joel at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1978 (52nd Street tour). I was 8, but I remember it distinctly and the fact that there was a gorilla wearing a yellow 1050 CHUM shirt running around in the crowd :)

First show w/out adult supervision: UB40 @ Massey Hall 1985 (Rat In The Kitchen tour) ... ahhhh sweet sweet ganja filling the air and raggae :) :) :)

I'd have to ask my Ma, but I know it was Mariposa Folk Fest, early 70s.

First concert without a parent:

The Clash - Maple Leaf Gardens april 84.

[color:red][edit to add]

Hey Kev, we had similar childhoods it sounds like, pertaining to music anyway. I wonder if we attended the same Mariposa's.

Edited by Guest

Hey Kev, we had similar childhoods it sounds like, pertaining to music anyway. I wonder if we attended the same Mariposa's.

Ha! I'm sure we were. I have fond memories of being able to boot around the site on my own and there were no worries. I remember there being a lot of artists there as well. Everything was interactive too. I remember a blacksmith letting me help him out (putting hot metal into cold water is wayyyy cool as a little kid). There was also dressup, crafts, etc. My sister made it on the cover of the Globe & Mail one year all dressed-up and hippie like as a youngun :)

I give all the credit to my mom. She rocks. She brought me up on killer music and took me out to experience it as well. I remember going to see The Last Waltz and Tommy with her in the movie theaters. I took her to see Pink Floyd for her birthday at one of the 3 Division Bell shows at the Ex (i went to all 3 ). I asked her partway in how she was liking it ... she said it was really good, but not nearly as loud as the Animals tour at MLG!!!!! Damn ... i must have been left home with a babysitter that night :P

What a great thread. We've all had such different experiences.

My first ever concert was with my parents in the very early 80's. It was Dolly Parton and I have loved her ever since.

The first concert I ever attended by choice was New Kids on the Block at Canada's Wonderland Theater (Kingswood?)