Jambands.ca

Sonic Orchard August 22,23,24,2008 Kimbercote Farm

allison

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how come the show was so much by the way' date='Grateful Fest $95,Blue Heron Festival $65 ,Rothbury Early tickets $180.[/quote']

Reading that food was included, I can see why the cost was up there. A festival where good food is included sounds utopic.

Agreed, but it also serves to raise expectations...

"we're going to book bands to play starting after 11pm. Will the neighbours compain? We should drop off a case of beer and give them some warning, offer them free admission and/or a hotel somewhere if its going to be a problem.

Otherwise we shouldn't offer bands money to play. They probably don't want to go to the time and expense if they don't even get to play."

I did do this.I offered the immediate neighbors money to go away for the weekend and instead they asked for free tickets.They weren't the ones who complained Saturday (although they did Friday night).I also took information to all the neighbors on the concession road.Because of the nature of the geography of the site...the sound carried through the whole valley.

I'm no expert, but I'd bet that most of the bands weren't even getting paid the gas money it costs to get to Kimbercote and back. They play because they like it and they're good folks.

No. The only bands who don't have contracts that amount to the same price they would charge anywhere (from 500-2000$) were some of the last minute additions, who were eager to be part of it.Jawbone, Mustashat, Suburban Smith, Boys Who Say No, Mark Harris and SCOBO played for gas money and free passes.Solo performers on average played for about 150$.By far the largest part of the budget went to music...and is also the reason I was fine with putting alot of loot in.The music was beyond amazing.I value music...and don't really bargain for it (which maybe I should a bit more)

It also seems to have gone unmentioned that all that money got lost and this was still the MOST EXPENSIVE local festival ever. I've never paid that much to NOT see Fat Cats and Diesel Dog (well, I may have paid that much to make Diesel Doug go away - but not recently) but did so on the premise of a well run / good cause festival. My mistake. (and I'm not trying to be mean to anyone - I know I couldn't do any better)

You are looking at it from the perspective of coming to see only DD and Fat Cats..and for sure it wasn't the most economical way to see those bands.You arrived after alot of the Saturday music had passed, the meals had been served, and all of the workshops had happened.

While DD and the Fat Cats were an important element in what I was doing....they weren't the focus.For you they were. It makes a difference in how you qualify the cost.

And really..it wasn't that much more expensive..if at all.

Lose Yer Shoes and Come Together are 65$..without food , workshops...and with fewer bands.

Bigger festivals can have lesser ticket prices because of the volume.Sonic Orchard could only have 500 people...and I knew in the first year it was likely to have less than half that.

The point was to have a small intimate festival with stellar, eclectic music with some consciousness, and of interest to both those with families and those who wanted to stay up all night.That was accomplished.

A special thanks to Blurry..and especially Mudd.She donated a beautiful piece of art that I was able to pass on to the kitchen manager, Melanie Vollick.Thanks so much for your generosity!Thanks also to Blurry for the cd, some kind words of support Saturday when I was really starting to flag, and for bringing some people along...including the lovely meggo!

You are looking at it from the perspective of coming to see only DD and Fat Cats..and for sure it wasn't the most economical way to see those bands.You arrived after alot of the Saturday music had passed, the meals had been served, and all of the workshops had happened.

While DD and the Fat Cats were an important element in what I was doing....they weren't the focus.For you they were. It makes a difference in how you qualify the cost.

And really..it wasn't that much more expensive..if at all.

Lose Yer Shoes and Come Together are 65$..without food , workshops...and with fewer bands.

Bigger festivals can have lesser ticket prices because of the volume.Sonic Orchard could only have 500 people...and I knew in the first year it was likely to have less than half that.

The point was to have a small intimate festival with stellar, eclectic music with some consciousness, and of interest to both those with families and those who wanted to stay up all night.That was accomplished.

Those are all good points. I didn't take in the festival as a whole - and wasn't trying to completely knock it. From a family perspective it was probably great.

On the family note - there were at least 2 sleeping babies right beside Diesel Dog when they were said to be too loud and got shut down!

I do applaud the effort and was excited for this festival all summer because I am interested in the eco-aspects.

Hope it all works out for you in the end.

Even though we (Jawbone) didn't play to a lot of people, we had a blast on Friday. Unfortunately we had to leave Saturday due to city commitments but I was interested in playing the festival because it seemed like such a great and unique mix of bands, and that Allison was truly excited to offer a unique experience and I think she accomplished that. Let me be the first to say that we'd be happy to jump on a benefit show, especially if it means the possibility of seeing this fest again next year in some capacity!

The Chameleon Project send the best vibes to Allison for all her hard work. We are very upset to see such a negative outcome from such a positive idea. We had a great time playing after Dave Lauzon in the house. Too bad the neighbors were so intolerant. Too bad the farm did not have the foresight to think about what they were agreeing to.

All in all no problem is one sided and I certainly do not think all of the blame can be laid with the promoter in this case.

Allsion, if you had a contract with Kimbercote I suggest you pass it by a lawyer and see what they say about liability and culpability in your case. They may have some financial responsibility that they are downloading to you.

We wish you the best, thanks for booking us.

CP.

Allsion, if you had a contract with Kimbercote I suggest you pass it by a lawyer and see what they say about liability and culpability in your case. They may have some financial responsibility that they are downloading to you.

a very good point that I hope has been considered.

Allison the innaugural Sonic Orchard was great. It's a shame all of these unnecessary circumstances occured. If there is anything I can do to help let me know. I was hoping to win the 649 over the weekend and hook you up for being such a great friend. Unfortunately that didn't happen but don't count me out yet. I'm in it to win it and I know you are too lady!

Hey Pablo, you need to play more often. Your 2 sets were out of hand. The place was rocking inside and out. Thanx to everyone attended and made it one of the highlights of my summer.

Bravo to you Allison for the incredible amount of energy you put into this festival. It was refreshing to see somebody from this community step up to the plate with such a vision. I wish I could have been at the festival, but I was committed to a family holiday that was booked many months ago. It's unfortunate that you encountered some serious curve balls with this event. Given your level of commitment and passion, I'm confident that things will work out positively for you in the end. Stay strong and keep truckin' on ...

Peace, Mark

Well Must Stash Hat got lucky. Harmonic Tide didn't play their last gig....still not sure why and the other band slept through their set, so we got an extended set which was quite amazing and proceeded to kick of Saturday with guests skip & jay.

Great grounds to camp on and great bands all around! The people were just so friendly. Thank you Allison for helping us feel like we were at home.

Also a pleasure to finally meet you Pablo, your set messed with my brain!