Jambands.ca

"The Windows, The Hinges" but not "The Doors"

CyberHippie

quote:

Originally posted by CyberHippie:

That's pretty sad when politics override friendships and the music...

Politics, or principles? What if the Other Ones billed themselves as "The Grateful Dead"? Kudos to Densmore, actually, for sticking to his guns about doing the shows - although I imagine the lawsuit is more about money than anything else.

Semantics aside, the Doors "reunion" is pretty pathetic. I mean, have you seen Ian Astbury lately? He's given himself the physical "Morrison makeover", and he really does his best (?) to sound just like him, too. Very, very sad. Manzarek and, particularly, Krieger, are pretty talented guys - why are they not using their talents to create something new, rather than doing the same old thing?

Brian.

Guest Low Roller

quote:

Manzarek and, particularly, Krieger, are pretty talented guys - why are they not using their talents to create something new, rather than doing the same old thing?

I dunno. Have you heard their post-Morisson stuff? Maybe they should stick with the proven songs.

Hehehehehe.....

Wednesday, 5 February, 2003, 13:34 GMT

Doors drummer sues over concert

The Doors' drummer John Densmore is suing two of his bandmates for using the rock group's name in a reunion concert later this week. He claims the concert, featuring Cult singer Ian Astbury on vocals and former Police drummer Stewart Copeland, cannot legally be called a Doors show, in the suit filed in Los Angeles on Tuesday.

The concert is due to take place at the Universal Amphitheatre in Hollywood on Friday.

Densmore said he wants the band billed as "the former members of the Doors".

"It could be Windows, the Hinges, I don't care what it is," he said.

Densmore, 58, is suing keyboard player Ray Manzarek, 63, and guitarist Robby Krieger, 57, for breach of contract, trademark infringement and unfair competition.

"I'm sad and hurt that my former bandmates are misusing the logo and the name, confusing people," he said.

The band were one of the biggest acts of the 1960s

"It shouldn't be called the Doors if it's someone other than Jim singing."

But Manzarek said he and Krieger were calling themselves "The Doors, 21st Century."

The Doors, one of the biggest bands of the 1960s, broke up a few years after the 1971 death of their charismatic singer Jim Morrison.

Veto

The name and logo of the band are owned by a partnership of the three surviving members, together with the estate of Morrison and his late wife Pamela Courson.

John Densmore said the elderly parents of Morrison were "livid" about the reunion show,

He said each member of the Doors had the power to veto a decision made by the other three, and this was something which had been decided when the group was formed in 1965.

He pulled out of a reunion show last year because he was suffering from tinnitus, and, he said, partly because he had decided the show was against his principles.

But he said he did not want to stop the concert, because he did not want to upset fans of the band who wanted to see the songs performed live.

Stuart Copeland, who is also named in the suit along with Ian Astbury, was drafted in to replace him.

The three surviving members of the band have played together recently.

In 1993 they played the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction with Pearl Jam singer Eddie Vedder guesting on vocals.

They also held a TV concert in 2000 with a number of singers, which Densmore said was a series of "tributes" to Morrison.

Last week, Beach Boy Al Jardine was stopped from using the name The Beach Boys Family and Friends after legal action from his former bandmate Mike Love.

i've always felt that manzarek was the brains behind the band rather than the musical genius. he helped put a great band together. but i hope they pack in this flying circus quickly. it pains me to see them clinging to former glory rather than just going out and trying to make good music. and who needs a fake jim anyway?

it seems densmore is just pouting because he can't play. they were all fine, good to go, with astbury and all, until john's hand got sore and he couldn't play. then, it became a bad idea when they replaced him. he didn't seem to have problems with jim being replaced while he was still involved. children, children, children.

I believe it goes a little something like this ... The "Doors" were set for a reunion tour featuring all three surviving members plus Astbury and Scott Weiland from Stone Temple Pilots on vocals. Densmore bailed/quit/was fired before this could happen because of a falling out with Manzarek based on some snippy things said about Densmore written in Manzarek's autobiography (which were probably in retaliation for some snippy things said about Manzarek in *Densmore's* autobiography). They eventually decided to tour anyhow with Copeland on drums, and Densmore is miffed at that as a part of this ongoing pissing contest. Not really about money or politics, just internal bitchiness on everybody's part (except possibly Krieger, whom I think is a criminally underrated musician and songwriter).

Rob Not Bob

exasperated Doorsophile who always thought Morisson was the least interesting part anyhow

Ironically, waaaay back in the day long before all of this came up, my friend Rick and I had an ongoing joke of imitations of the individual members of the Doors, each with his own catch-phrase ... Densmore's catchphrase was, "Alright, that's it, I quit!" [Cool]

Yeah, ok, we were weird ...

Rob Not Bob

Now with "You're Lost, Little Girl" stuck in his head

Guest Low Roller

Alright, let's keep this Doors thread alive! 10 Favorite Doors songs?

Mine would be:

- Wildchild

- Peace Frog

- Love Street

- The Changeling

- When The Music's Over

- Ghost Song

- Moonlight Drive

- Break On Through

- The End

- Not To Touch The Earth (favorite)

Guest Low Roller

The Doors actually released six studio albums with Jim Morisson:

- The Doors

- Morisson Hotel

- Strange Days

- Waiting For The Sun

- The Soft Parade

- L.A. Woman

So there is PLENTY of material to choose from.

I was once told if you like the Doors, you won't like Zappa. Any truth to that? I've never listen to Zappa.

quote:

Originally posted by Low Roller:

I was once told if you like the Doors, you won't like Zappa. Any truth to that? I've never listen to Zappa.

Well, I like Zappa (a lot), and never really liked the Doors that much. (I don't actively dislike their music [e.g., the way I dislike the music of, say, Celine Dion or any of the manufactured girl/boy bands], mind you; it's just never really done anything for me.)

Aloha,

Brad

I am a huge Doors fan - all the cd's, the posters, Jim's poetry books, some of the vinyls....... I must admit it did kind of upset me when I heard "Doors Reunion"........ however, I kinda see both sides of the story.

Favorite songs - almost all of them

Peace Frog, Indian Summer, Love her madly

my list goes on and on.

Guest Low Roller

quote:

Originally posted by shainhouse:

god, like they don't have enough money-

Right, and exactly how different is that from the Other Ones for example? Maybe they just like to play in front of a live crowd.

"What if the Other Ones billed themselves as 'The Grateful Dead,'? "

Hamilton,

I would be cool with that. The dead to me symbolize so so much. While I know in many ways jerry was a folcrum for the community, the spirit lives on. Yes there are many changes, but there were many changes while jerry was alive as well. They are now the Other One's. I'm completely cool with that too. Just my opinion, on the name thing.

Lawsuits like this I feel are not always propelled by the purest motives. Even if they are, if people can't compromise over a concert's name it spills my faith a bit to imagine how we are going to compromise for the 'larger issues'.

quote:

Originally posted by rainmakerrtv:

exasperated Doorsophile who always thought Morisson was the least interesting part anyhow

Agreed. While I would never even remotely consider myself a Doorsophile, I acknowledge that they had some damn fine tunes. Morrison was fine as a vocalist, but I could never get past the "mystical" rantings in much of the material. A fine rock band, but I'm sorry Jim, you are most certainly *not* "the Lizard King". I also agree that Krieger is very under-rated as a guitarist.

Brian.

Archived