Jambands.ca

Advertising on nature trails? WTF!?!

Schwa.

I'm disgusted with this.

Advertising on Nature Trails

The city of Waterloo has approved advertising on a select number of nature trails as a way of bringing in more revenue. The next time you go for a stroll along a nature trail in the city you may walk over a "get Cracking" advertisement for the Egg Marketing Board. The City of Waterloo has agreed to try out advertising on the Laurel, RIM Park and Walter Bean trails...

570 News asked Kitchener resident Bonnie what she thought of the idea and didn't seem to pleased by saying "the purpose of trails is to get away from the hustle and bustle and get back to nature." Bonnie says residents are already bombarded enough with advertising. Another Kitchener resident Garnett tells 570 News that painting ads on the trails could set a poor precedent, and once this kind of thing starts it can jump to the next level like garage sales." Ten egg ads will be painted on the trails for three months starting June 1st, and the city will get about $2,500 - dollars in revenue from the marketing scheme.

once this kind of thing starts it can jump to the next level like garage sales.

huh???

seems like a bad idea to advertise on trails. people could always not look at it though, and the money raised might be for something worthwhile (like maintaining the trails). still leaves a bad taste though.

also sounds like a political move to create a big enough outcry to shift some funds into park maintenance from other parts of the budget

then again it has been approved so maybe it's the shape of things to come

quick aside- let me once again state that one of the main reasons I love Vermont so much is the absence of billboards

Ten egg ads will be painted on the trails for three months starting June 1st

painted? ... most troubling.

but the good thing is that eventually you will be able to hike 5km into the wilderness and get a tall, refreshing Tim Horton's Fat-achino in a disposable plastic cup. :mad:

are they painting the eggs "on the trails" like on the dirt and grass, or are the eggs "on the trails" like a billboard is "on the road"? the wording is strange. why would you paint something on dirt and gravel and grass?

are they painting the eggs "on the trails" like on the dirt and grass, or are the eggs "on the trails" like a billboard is "on the road"? the wording is strange. why would you paint something on dirt and gravel and grass?

Some of the trails are paved.

Im really surprised by this though - I would have thought the residents' here would be strictly against this kind of thing. They rallied themselves to put a stop to the erection of an "intelligence" monument and are basically pretty involved with local politics all together. Seems odd that theres not more being said about it.

Mmmm vermont.

I would hate to be out in my canoe in Gatineau park and see some advertisement for McDonalds or Bell.

Even painting on the paved trails...it takes away from what you are there for.

Next they will be putting up clocks every 50 feet so you can feel rushed :)

Now that it's news, i think lots of folks will be voicing their displeasure with it, just like the stupid monument to how "intelligent" Waterloo is. Fucking thing has no bearing on the community's intelligence, only how many schools and high tech sector businesses reside here.

I think this is a dumb idea, but the term nature trail is a bit misleading, its actually to be painted on paved (bike?) trails with removable paint. Paved nature trails are an oxymoron in and of themselves... My guess is they are like the NCC trails here in Ottawa... and not dirt single track trails that go into the middle of nowhere...

http://news.therecord.com/article/356475

Ottawa was considering selling the naming rights to its bus stops... Will capitalism stop at nothing?

Thank you for the Starbucks Express 95, You are now entering the Bell Canada Station at Hurdman!

camping in a national park out west, there was a pop machine in front of a bathroom with the slogan "Nature...brought to you by Pepsi" or something equally disturbing on it.

It wouldn't be so bad if the city was getting a fair buck for the ads, but $2500 is nothing. That's property tax for a year on 3/4 of a house :)

Run two polls:

Poll A: Would you support a plan to allow painted ads on paved nature trails?

Poll B: Would you support a small raise in property taxes specifically designated to support the upkeep of nature trails?

Methinks the results would be almost identical.

Pick your poison.

Run two polls:

Poll A: Would you support a plan to allow painted ads on paved nature trails?

Poll B: Would you support a small raise in property taxes specifically designated to support the upkeep of nature trails?

Methinks the results would be almost identical.

Pick your poison.

Why not use existing property tax revenue to continue with the up-keep of the trails?

Cuz Waterloo is building a public square that is going to go way over budget.

I think the city should implement a "student tax."

Edited by Guest