Jambands.ca

Vote for the Greatest BlueJay of All time

Hal Johnson

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it'd be stieb or carter for me. halladay could be, but lets see where he goes from here... he might never win anything.

stieb was the franchise ace for so long.

the carter trade was the catalyst to 2 world series wins (funny, wasnt fernandez part of that deal going to san diego?), and carter was a lot more than just the '93 walk-off homer... he was an annual 30hr/100rbi guy, a force in the middle of the line-up, a clubhouse guy, the smiling face of the franchise for his time there (sure, along with robbie - catch the taste!), and lets not forget, he also made the final out at first base for their first world series win - 2 world championships, both ended by joe fucking carter!!!!

;)

you know, and to be honest, growing up and playing 2nd base, alomar was always the guy for me... that home run he hit off eckerseley in the ALCS, a lifetime's worth of highlight reel defence... its tough, but in the end, i still gotta give the nod to carter.

Not including Dave Stieb in the Top 3 from a Jays era when they had one of the best pitching staffs and were one of the more dominant AL team is insane.

Stieb was one of the best pitchers of the 80's and a 7-time all-star (1980, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1988, 1990) - he started two (or was it three?) All-star games too. He's my #1. Alomar is #2 given he played with the Jays for only 5 years, but was clutch in the playoffs and the best infielder in the Majors when he played. Delgado is #3. Doc hasn't put up the numbers as of yet.

Oh wait a second here..........I just noticed this:
but he wasnt around all that long.

I am now perplexed.

Alomar is my all time favorite Jay, and he won two world series' with them, but he was only around from 91-95. Thats only 5 yrs! Just seems a little short of a stint to be considered an "all-time" guy, if you ask me. BUt then again, the Jays havent been around that long either....I dunno...I WANT to vote for Robbie...

i say do it, hal. whaddaya got to lose? :content:

anyone check out the results from the other teams yet? so far just the cards and reds are up... obviously, Stan the Man for the redbirds, and with an overwhelming 55% of the vote, Pete "how does he keep a straight face?!" Rose for the reds... the greatest ballplayer of all time, period.

yep, i said it.

jesse barfield, tom henke would be the finalists along with the winner, joe carter. why even have a vote? the greatest jay of all time (since 1977, ha) HAS to be carter.

I completely agree AD. Carter has done the biggest things in TO, so he wins, but Tom Henke was The Terminator. One of the best closers in the history of MLB, and an overwhelming shut-down artist.

And Barfield was another big bat, but also the connon from left field. Triples were denied with Jesse out there.

Doc is my favourite active athlete, but he's not better than Stieb. He may one day be as good, but he has a ways to go.

Personally, I have a hard time putting a closer in the Top 3 on most teams let alone the Jays. Their job is to save games and come in for an inning or two, tops.

Carter was great and provided Toronto with many memories. Alomar is a future Hall of Famer and we had him in his prime. He has also said he will wear a Blue Jays Cap if he gets into the Hall. That would be a first.

I love most of the players in this thread. They all played great for the Jays.

And I'm glad that the list doesn't include "best players to play for the Jays" instead of best career Jays. Paul Molitor, Dave Stewart, Dave Winfield and Jack Morris would be hard to beat, even though they aren't career Jays.

It's also a sad testament that Halladay is the only active Jay on the list.

my favourite all time Blue Jay would have to be Dave Stieb. It was unfortunate that he was injured in '92 when the Jays won the series. at least he was on the bench.

I think that Alomar is the best player to ever wear a Jays uniform. Molitor was a pheneomenal hitter. I've never seen a player be able to place a ball where it needed to go to find the gap.But Alomar combined incredible hitting (able to go the other way, almost as good as Molitor, and a great clutch hitter), with incredible fielding. He just made it all look so easy. His skills deteriorated rather rapidly at the end though.