Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum 08/09

badams

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dennis Kane said online what we have been saying amongst one another or at the very least, thinking.

Georges Laraque says things haven’t worked out the way he expected they would in Montreal, and maybe it’s time to move on. After all, what good is he on a team where he’s either a healthy scratch or a player of very few minutes in a game? “I could shut up, sit down, and take the money,†he says, “but that’s not the kind of guy I am.â€

Big Georges is unhappy. But he made his bed. He hasn’t been at all the player he was brought to Montreal to be. And never mind the lengthy groin injury. Aside from that, this is a guy who hasn’t done the job. Not even close.

I was excited when the team signed possibly the toughest hombre this side of the Rio Grande. No longer would Saku Koivu and the other smaller and skilled players get bounced around. Because teams would quickly realize that if you mess with a skilled guy, you’re going to have to face someone you’d prefer not to face. Just like the Wayne Gretzky/Dave Semenko combo in Edmonton way back when.

But with Georges, it never materialized. From time to time, some pathetic staged fight between him and the other team’s tough guy would occur, but no one ever knew why. They just fought to fight. There was no reason, other than maybe trying to show they were earning their paycheques. And then, as quickly as these silly fights started, they ended, and the game resumed as normal. It’s no wonder people are calling for an end to fighting.

Georges Laraque was there to instill an attitude, to create havoc when necessary, to protect, to be mean, to punish. But all we’ve got are a few staged fights, a couple of times when he’s gone to the net, a lot of smiles, and almost nothing else.

Everyone goes on about the disappointing seasons of Alex Kovalev and Carey Price and others, and rarely is the disappointment of Laraque mentioned. It should be. Picture the Montreal Canadiens if he was a miserable son of a bitch on a nightly basis. Teams would dread playing the Canadiens.

But Georges somehow didn’t understand his role.

Guest Low Roller

begin_steve040201.jpg

Begin traded to Dallas for Doug Janik

Janik is a 6'2" defenceman with 159 games experience in the NHL. Drafted by Buffalo in the 2nd round in 1999. UFA at the end of the season, currently making $500K.

If Janik clears waivers by Saturday he will head to Hamilton to help their depleted roster.

Basically this move was done purely for Begin's sake. (It also clears up $1M in cap space...)

No bag of pucks is worth the heart and passion that Begin brought to every fourth line shift he was on.

Well, based on that trade the other GM's in the league dont agree with you.

It also clears up $1M in cap space.

Where the fuck do you get your numbers from? Do you just pull them out of thin air? His cap hit is just over a million dollars FOR THE SEASON. Good thing you arent the accountant for Les Brahs.

Guest Low Roller
It also clears up $1M in cap space.

You suck at the NHL and are officially on waivers. How much cap space does that clear up?

I can't wait to trash you in the media once I get picked up by a contender.

No bag of pucks is worth the heart and passion that Begin brought to every fourth line shift he was on. Well maybe if it's a really big bag of pucks.

If for pucks, they would have to be those crazy weighted Czechoslovakian pucks people used to bring out for practices... thoses things were nuts...

Back to the Begin trade, its very similar to the Huet one in my mind. A total waste by throwing away depth for no reason at all. Begin was gone at season's end anyways.........dumb move and hopefully it doesnt come back to haunt them like last year's move did.

I dont know, maybe if BGL and Dandy are on the move as well which clears enough for a deadline deal will I come to terms with this move. Right now though, I aint in agreement.

Guest Low Roller

Gainey now has opened up more possibilities for trade through increased cap space. The move was clearly strategic on his part. He's gambling that he can land a player that will help the team a whole lot more than Begin could sitting in the pressbox just in case.

Back to the Begin trade, its very similar to the Huet one in my mind. A total waste by throwing away depth for no reason at all. Begin was gone at season's end anyways.........dumb move and hopefully it doesnt come back to haunt them like last year's move did.

how far did huet take washington last year?? how did that move haunt the team? would huet still be here now? no. would the habs have went further last year with huet? doubtful

they have an abundance of 4th liners and with stewart showing he can do the job and is in front of begin in the pecking order he asked to be moved.

he wants to play, gainey said fine. a nice move for a vet who needs to play so he can get a better contract next year.

how did that move haunt the team?

Obviously you didnt watch the playoffs last year. No one was there to replace Price as he was shitting the bed against Philly.

And fuckallyall who gives this whole "Gainey is being a nice guy" speech. His job is to put together a team to win a the Cup. That's it.

Begin leaving supplants depth. If you cant see that I dont know what else to tell you.

Gainey now has opened up more possibilities for trade through increased cap space. The move was clearly strategic on his part. He's gambling that he can land a player that will help the team a whole lot more than Begin could sitting in the pressbox just in case.

He's going to have to move more than Begin for that strategy to work. Time will tell. Hopefully this is the case.

Well it's a little hard to say what the Habs would have or wouldn't have done with Huet in the playoffs. Price shat the bed (for the first of hopefully many times) and a good back up (who's really a starter) would have helped - that's that. The Caps did make a pretty unbelievable and surprising run into the playoffs with Huet and they were a goal shy in seven from making it to the 3rd round.

But I do see your point about it being a nice move by Gainey.

How many series has Huet won booche? whats his playoff record? he has never performed under pressure yet so why do you think it would have changed things so much. Do you really think the habs would have won that series with huet? i dont. Gainey made the decision to sink or swim with Price.

If gainer and carbs dont think begin has a role to play, the player isnt happy and the situation is not going to improve move him out. no big deal. yeah i like begin and would like to have him around but if he wants out thats all right.

Guest Low Roller

I would consider Begin an acceptable loss of depth considering there is a similar player already in the organization in Dandenault, who can arguably play a much larger depth role in the team.

Of course I hope that the team does not run into a situation where they would need two depth players in the playoffs.