Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum 08/09

badams

I don't really like Elliotte Friedman but I thought I'd post this anyway...

Gainey picking on Kovalev for a reason

February 18, 2009 02:03 AM | Posted by Elliotte Friedman

A few notes about an eventful day in Montreal.

If Bob Gainey really wanted to trade Alex Kovalev right now, the Russian winger wouldn't be "resting." He'd be packing.

Sunday’s loss in Vancouver wasn't necessarily No. 27’s final game in a Canadiens uniform. Unless he shows up on the upcoming off-day Friday dragging the Stanley Cup behind his car – a la George Costanza with the World Series Trophy in Seinfeld – Kovalev will play for this team again.

This is part of Gainey's three-pronged attack to warn the roster that no one is secure, that spoiled behaviour and indifferent play will no longer be tolerated. Add Kovalev's banishment to Sergei Kostitsyn's demotion and the trade for Mathieu Schneider and what has Gainey done? He's rattled everyone without permanently getting rid of anyone. And that's critical to the point here.

When this season began, Gainey believed his team was a legitimate Cup contender. He was not alone. In their 100th season, the Canadiens were a popular pick.

Now, with the team in the middle of a Chernobyl-sized meltdown, Gainey refused to make the easiest moves - fire his handpicked coach or make a huge trade to shake up the dressing room. He chose more creative options and left enough time to make further adjustments if this doesn't work. It also says a lot about George Gillett, who is smart enough to let Gainey make the decisions. Look at the Phoenix Suns, whose goofball owner leaked that head coach Terry Porter would be fired during the NBA All-Star Game.

Gainey is allowed to do it his way. And the message is, 'Prove to me that, as a group, you're still good enough to win.' They've got two weeks to start breathing. If that doesn't happen, Air Canada’s going to make a fortune on last-second plane fares in and out of town.

Kovalev prone to funks

I'm a Kovalev fan, but Gainey had to do something. We all know the talented winger is prone to funks and on-ice boredom, but this is ridiculous. I would re-direct you to the Inside Hockey on him, then add a few points.

Kovalev isn't an unpopular guy in the Montreal room, but Ray Emery wasn't either for a long time in Ottawa. However, when a player is perceived to be getting away with a double-standard, things can change in a hurry, especially during a losing streak. Kovalev was benched during games at least twice, but never was a healthy scratch.

Meanwhile, other guys who work harder but don’t have his talent (Steve Begin) were sitting. That's okay for a three or four game stretch, but not when it extends closer to 10 or 15. That goes double for a team trying to send the proper message to a talented group of young players who have a real chance to be great. You cannot allow them to believe that kind of behaviour is okay.

Maybe it's not fair to pick on Emery - now being punished with his exile to Russia - but his lateness and poor habits played a major role in the Senators' collapse. It’s possible the same thing is happening in Montreal.

Here's a theory: the Rangers traded Kovalev early in his seventh season. The Penguins dealt him in what was essentially his fifth year. This is Season 4 in Montreal. Does he have an expiry date, like a cup of yogourt? Some people need change. You all know people like that, who love to switch jobs every few years. Kovalev might very well be one of those guys.

Canadiens unlike their coaches

One final thing. Is there a team in the NHL that reminds you less of its coaching staff than Montreal? Guy Carbonneau, Kirk Muller and Doug Jarvis were brutal to play against. This team? Well, this team isn’t. That’s a huge problem.

You can see their frustration. Look at others around the league like them: Darryl Sutter rebuilt the Flames in that image; John Stevens didn't have their NHL careers, but he played with a similar style and rejuvenated the Flyers with that edge; same with Claude Julien in Boston.

Sometimes, people have trouble coaching teams they don't understand. I can't help but wonder if that's the case with Carbonneau. I don't see Gainey firing him. But if Tuesday's Kovalev shocker doesn't work, he does have the flexibility (14 free agents, UFA and RFA) to provide his coach with a whole new roster

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(I like what the Lions In Winter dude has to say. It's amazing how often I find myself in agreement with his takes)

As someone who hasn't had a knife out for Kovalev this season, I think my take on the Bob Gainey move and subsequent press conference may be different to certain others:

The GM thinks his coach can get this team into the playoffs minus the Canadiens' most gifted and and popular player.
Canadiens GM Bob Gainey caught everyone offguard by announcing that forward Alex Kovalev has been sent home while the team decides what to do with his services."
C'est lourd pour lui en ce moment», a déclaré Gainey lors d'un point de presse improvisé durant l'entraînement de l'équipe, cet après-midi.

The truth will always be that one hears what he wants to hear. Some people went to watch that interview hoping to hear that Kovalev would be traded. They found the quotes they needed to reinforce their stories.

I went in (and we've never apologised for being the steadfast Kovalev support since the outset - pre-bandwagon 07) hoping that the news would be lighter and positive for Alex and the Canadiens' union. I certainly heard some things I thought would suit my story.

I can't tell you what the other guys think, I sent you their links. I can only tell you my read:

Gainey respects Kovalev

The element that came through with the greatest clarity for me in this whole affair is that Gainey benched Kovalev. In doing so, he circumvented the coach (deliberately) to show his respect for the player. He was wise to do so given Carbonneau's history and still terribly abrasive persona.

The other thing I noted was the length that Kovalev was discussed. This was not a: "He's benched, there will be no further comment" situation. Gainey went to great lengths to explain to the media wolves in his second language that this was a special move. He spoke of Kovalev and Carbonneau not being on the same page; but he spoke of how the losses and burden of the centennial was weighing on Alex (not Carbo, I should note).

At the same time, he was firm. He asserted that the current Kovalev is not someone that the team needs now or in the future. What Bob Gainey also knows and expresses is that Alex Kovalev is irreplaceable as an entity. And while he knows Kovalev functioning at his best is irreplaceable, he seems to recognise that Kovalev searching for his desire and methods might not be the best thing for the team right now.

Watching Bob Gainey's interview in French (where he does an admirable job, completely wading through the intricate questions), I have no reason to do anything other than take what he said at face value.

When he says he asked Alex to have a rest. I believe he asked Alex. When he said he will speak to Alex over the next two days, I believe him. When he says he will re-evaluate the situation prior to Saturday's game, i have no reason to doubt that he is being forthright.

If there is one topic to be discussed over the next two days it is not the no-trade clause that some would desperately hope it to be. I think it will be how Kovalev should perhaps submit to Carbonneau's plan from here until some future point when he is consulted about how to get out of a jam - how he needs to work through the channels on the team and not take the plight of everyone into his own private world to come up with a solution.

Kovalev trade

Gainey did address the topic on everyones' minds - the possibility of a trade with Alex's involvement. As any good GM would note, he said that he must be open to all possibilities (marks for that, trading Price - I thought you said all?), but he also hinted that no one was exactly burning up the lines to acquire Kovalev in his "off" year.

In saying that, he alludes to the fact that trading Kovalev to a team at his request would be a position of weakness. I don't read Boone's "addition by subtraction" in the comment, but then I'm biased the other way...

I think Gainey would prefer a useful Kovalev to a draft pick. I think he feels he would not be able to get fair value at this point and he'd rather make the best of this asset he has.

This is man management.

Kovalev emailed Dregger and told him he hasnt said anything, in fact he is planning to return to Les Brahs. Everything else is bs. I wish journalists would be held accountable for this shite.

I am still trying to pick up my jaw from Oveckin's first period goal. JEBAS!

Entertaining game thus far but I have to hit the bed thanks to a cold. My eyes are having a helluva time trying to focus. Sucks to be me.

It's believed reports are going to surface tomorrow regarding some of the Canadiens players and off-ice activities. RDS has all but confirmed that some news will hit that will rock Montreal in the morning.

What a fucking roller coaster.. I can only imagine what this is, but doesn't look good. Criminal charges of some sort maybe? Looks like Mr. Hyde is here for good this year.

Guest Low Roller

I wrote four exams in four days, but I'm free (until Monday)!!!!!

What did I miss. Are the Habs the best team in the country still?

Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(until Monday)